Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Chipped carbon can I ride this ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Chipped carbon can I ride this ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 05:39 PM
azo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation Chipped carbon can I ride this ?

Got this lovely marin recently and turns out the seatstay tube joint which mixes with aluminium has a wierd chip in it
theres no cracks around the chip. and tapping it feels solid as if its made of solid carbon. the dent or chip rather looks shiny inside as if its alumnium but its part of the carbon
so its a bit confusing
Im thinking whats the worse that can happen here - the thing wierdly snaps but the rest of the bike is aluminium and should hold two triangles, and the axle is held by aluminium, so worse that could happen is if something were indded to happen id notice it during the ride and slow down rather than the bike totally explode apart
theres a few bikes out there without seatstays completely missing ...

I know theres lots of people thinking ooh broken carbon dont ride it.. but hoping to correct me if im wrong about the above . Ive read that carbon dents / small chips aint bad as cracks but this is just a deep one in a funny spot.

C
Old 09-17-23, 12:27 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Looks like there might be a chunk of carbon missing from the top - that should not be of consequence.

The piece missing at the bottom appears like it could just be the paint chipping off, exposing the aluminum sleeve. Also should not be of consequence.