Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

What Children’s Bike?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

What Children’s Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 01:26 PM
edo_999
Edo

Bikes: Late 80s-early 90s Graham Weigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What Children’s Bike?

Hi all, my 8yo daughter is outgrowing her Islabike cnoc-16 and I need to find her a bigger replacement. Any advice on that will be extremely appreciated!

I’ve heard HOY bikes are good. I need something for mainly a urban environment and easy to ride for a smaller than average 8yo turning 9.

Many thanks!
Old 12-02-23, 07:10 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Honestly, it all depends. My kids all went through essentially the same bikes, from 12" wheels to 16, 18, 20, 24, and my oldest is on 26" wheels. We fixed up, repainted and reaccessorized with stuff from other free bikes as we went. They were all free, except for the 24" wheel bike, which was $50 from Criagslist. My daughter (8) is on the 24" Diamondback from Craigslist, which is about to get pink cable housings. My youngest is five and he is on the 20" Trek bike which is currently painted green with Bigfoot stickers all over it. I've been very impressed with that particular bike because it is easy to hop on to but also can be ridden by a large range of different aged kids.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 12-03-23, 06:03 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
I think the Trek Precaliber line is a great option that is available locally for most people. Cannondale Quick line is also worth considering. Both show up used fairly regularly around here. I try to support local shops hence the Trek/Cannondale brands. You might check out RascalRides for some additional options to consider.

My daughter loved her Trek Precalber 16" - light, stable, and easy to pedal. I upgraded her to a used Specialized Hotrock (steel with suspension fork) that she never liked - too heavy and slow to respond. I replaced that with a Cannondale Quick 24 - light, stable, easy to pedal option with gears and handbrakes.

I also picked up a Trek Precaliber 24 (Al frame, suspension fork/21 speed) that got trapped under a car for cheap that I fixed up. She likes it but finds the Quick 24 to be lighter and more fun. The Precaliber 24 has a very low standover, low seat, and dual pedal mounting points to fit smaller kids and allows the bike to be adapted as they grow.

At 9, I know a 26" is in her future so I'm working on a 13" Trek 800 Sport for her. It's a bit heavier but we'll have fun picking a color and building it up for her.
Likes For Trav1s: