Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bike Rack Security, Visibility

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 03:15 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts

Has anyone been successful in convincing a local business to install a secure (not portable) bike rack that can be seen clearly from the shop-front window? The absence of these is a major "black hole" in the thinking of those who do not ordinarily shop on a bicycle. I have called a couple businesses, who have "taken it under advisement" or some-such.
Old 10-04-23, 02:48 PM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Even if a bike can be seen from inside a store there is no guarantee someone won't risk it. With my luck I would be shot by store security as I launch myself at the door to apprehend the miscreant making off with my ride. No, just no. A proper U-Lock is the only way. Real peace of mind and stress free shopping for under $50 USD. Just about all retail establishments I frequent have no windows at all anymore anyway, so there's that too. Where are you going with this?
Old 11-04-23, 03:00 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Even if a bike can be seen from inside a store there is no guarantee someone won't risk it. With my luck I would be shot by store security as I launch myself at the door to apprehend the miscreant making off with my ride. No, just no. A proper U-Lock is the only way. Real peace of mind and stress free shopping for under $50 USD. Just about all retail establishments I frequent have no windows at all anymore anyway, so there's that too. Where are you going with this?
Your hypothesis is ridiculous. You are contending that there is no benefit gained from the store employees, customers and you being able to see your bike while shopping? You seem to infer that you are shopping at places like Wal-Mart that have security cameras. I hope these prove to be effective for you, if, indeed, you do use a bicycle to shop with. Are you actually saying that you think a U-lock is an effective theft deterrent? Also, what do you mean by your last question? I have no idea what that means.
Old 11-04-23, 04:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
You seem to infer that you are shopping at places like Wal-Mart that have security cameras. snip Are you actually saying that you think a U-lock is an effective theft deterrent?
I don't know where you got Walmart from, but I don't know that I would count on Walmart's parking lot cameras to keep my bike from being stolen. And a U-lock, or any lock for that matter can be a deterrent IMHO. Not a prevention, but certainly a deterrent.

But I do think a secure rack in a high traffic area would be good for businesses to have if they want to encourage cyclists to shop. But it isn't always going be practical for racks to be visible from inside the store or even expected for the store's employees or anyone else to watch them

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-04-23, 07:00 PM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
You are contending that there is no benefit gained from the store employees, customers and you being able to see your bike while shopping?
Just about all retail establishments I frequent have no windows at all anymore anyway, so there's that too ...
Seriously, when was the last time you were in a Box Store, or anyplace bigger than a Tattoo Parlor where you could actually see what was going on outside? If my shopping someplace was contingent on me (or uninterested third parties) being able to continually monitor the theft status of my bike outside, it simply would not be worth it. If a U-Lock costing around 10% of the value of your bike is not sufficient protection to keep it safe, then ... its really too unsafe to ride a bike there to shop. Simple as that. We don't HAVE to always ride you know. It is a choice. One I choose to make, knowing the risks. Indeed, "where are you going with this"? Maybe you are trying to make a case for business establishments bringing back glass storefronts? <shrug>
Old 01-13-24, 05:21 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 334 Posts
ALL locks these days can be cut in *seconds* with a battery operated cutoff grinder, bolt cutters, hydraulic chain cutters (like where they sell chain) or nitrogen/smash attack (lowering the steel temperature below the ductile-to-brittle ("glass") transition temperature). I stopped U-lock or NY chaining my bike outside. I wheel it inside to wherever I am going, and if they don't allow that, I walk, or don't patronize the business.

The exception was a university, that had a bike rack just inside the doors in the LOBBY, within close sight of the front desk guard, that was a great system, with a lock. Last I visited there, they had rearranged the lobby and the bike rack was gone. Grr!

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-25-24 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-25-24, 02:21 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Seriously, when was the last time you were in a Box Store, or anyplace bigger than a Tattoo Parlor where you could actually see what was going on outside? If my shopping someplace was contingent on me (or uninterested third parties) being able to continually monitor the theft status of my bike outside, it simply would not be worth it. If a U-Lock costing around 10% of the value of your bike is not sufficient protection to keep it safe, then ... its really too unsafe to ride a bike there to shop. Simple as that. We don't HAVE to always ride you know. It is a choice. One I choose to make, knowing the risks. Indeed, "where are you going with this"? Maybe you are trying to make a case for business establishments bringing back glass storefronts? <shrug>
Almost all of the places i shop at have windows in the front: The doctor, the dentist, the supermarket, Walgreens, the Farm store, the sub shop, the bike shop, health food store, on and on.
A prominently-placed bike rack that is permanently fixed to the ground would be a very effective placement to make thieves think twice. Although a guard may not be stationed at the window, or even security cameras, a would-be thief does not know for sure that no one is watching, and with cell phones everywhere, a customer in their car could see something and make a call.
My town is not too small, 20,000 people, but we have a moderate, kind of quaint downtown. It sounds like you are in a city or up near a highway somewhere.
Old 04-25-24, 03:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Has anyone been successful in convincing a local business to install a secure (not portable) bike rack that can be seen clearly from the shop-front window? The absence of these is a major "black hole" in the thinking of those who do not ordinarily shop on a bicycle. I have called a couple businesses, who have "taken it under advisement" or some-such.
A prominently-placed bike rack that is permanently fixed to the ground would be a very effective placement to make thieves think twice.
Why do you place so much emphasis/importance on the permanent fixing of a bike rack that is meant to secure bikes only while customers are shopping inside? Do you really believe that it is likely that thieves are about to walk of with the bike rack too while the bicyclist is shopping?

It will add unnecessary expenses for installation and may involve possible zoning/code/insurance complications and create a permanent obstacle in front of the store to include cleaning the sidewalk of snow even when few if any bicyclists will be using it. I suggest that you drop your unreasonable permanent fixing requirements to your request if you want to convince a local business of the soundness of your "good idea."