Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Softride question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Softride question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 01:38 PM
fopianki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Softride question

I own a 2001 Softride Solo and I think it's the best (and most versatile) bike I've ever owned. I was talking to my LBS recently about upgrading the components and I heard that the Softride company is for sale. My concern is that if I invest in upgrading the bike and then Softride goes out of business, I could have trouble getting replacement parts such as beam parts, etc. Anyone know anything about thier longterm viability? Also, any idea how long a beam should last? Does the carbon material degrade with time and stress? Frank
Old 07-26-06, 02:02 PM
XC99TF00
5AM ride again? Damn...

Bikes: '98 Softride Powercurve Mountain Bike - LX and XT; '04 Softride Solo Road Bike - Campy Veloce; Late 70's Richard Sachs Frame with old Campy - Yet to be rebuilt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fopianki
I own a 2001 Softride Solo and I think it's the best (and most versatile) bike I've ever owned. I was talking to my LBS recently about upgrading the components and I heard that the Softride company is for sale. My concern is that if I invest in upgrading the bike and then Softride goes out of business, I could have trouble getting replacement parts such as beam parts, etc. Anyone know anything about thier longterm viability? Also, any idea how long a beam should last? Does the carbon material degrade with time and stress? Frank
Well, I have two Softrides, both of which use the older style beam, one being the solo and one an old Powercurve XC. The beam on my old '97 XC is still perfectly fine as is the one from my solo. I had to adjust the XC one up a bit to compensate for alittle sag, but that's held fine for three years since then, and it takes a punishing offroad that my road bike never sees. If you are worried about getting replacement parts, I'd say get in touch with Softride and then see if you could pick up anything extra that you might need. such as a seat clamp, spare beam, or whatever else you deam necessary.

That said, i believe that the company will find a buyer and continue to make bikes, so I wouldn't worry too much. But I think your best bet is to truly just call them and ask them their take on the issue.
Old 07-26-06, 02:13 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Softride was advertising the sale of the company in industry magazines as long ago as last Christmas. I actually considered looking into it. They mentioned that the maufacturing side is highly mobile or relocatable. To me that implied that the operation could be loaded into a box van and driven anywhere you want. That makes it attractive.

It's such a unique company that you know the owners won't just let it die or go to someone who won't support its existing customers. Besides if they do die off then I just might try to secure the rights to manufacture and supply replacement parts.

EDIT: I guess I'm saying that I think you're safe buying one. If the time comes that you can't get replacement parts then you'll a lot of rig left that is pretty valuable on e-bay for other's replacement part needs...

Old 07-26-06, 02:22 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Have had, and ridden for mucho miles, my custom frame Softride suspension, since 91. 1st or 2nd gen beams and no problems of any kind other than my sweat causes the bracket used for height adjustment to squeak. I usually pull the bracket, drop in some blue locktight on the screw mounts and good for another 1K miles.

Currently, itz off the road, going thru conversion to becoming a 'sport-tour' bike. Designing some custom ALU racking for the rear, so I can mount rear bags and such, and use it for multi-day or rides where I want to carry equipment - like my video gear.
By far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

As for 'upgrading' components - really nothing special there outside of the few beam mounting parts. Everything else can easily be used on a convential 'diamond' type frame, if you move from the sofride, with consideration for threading and mounting issues. I wouldn;t worry about any 'upgrades' you do
Old 07-26-06, 06:49 PM
fopianki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Hey thanks for the advise...I've become very fond of this bike and I really hate to give it up! It's great for ultra rides and also has the ability to keep up with the "hammerheads"...it's currently got older 105's that are getting worn out and I'm thinking about switching to the new generation of 105's or perhaps ultegras. Also, I'm thinking about upgrading my wheels...I'll send them an email about getting some spare beam part...regards Frank
Old 07-26-06, 10:54 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
... Also, I'm thinking about upgrading my wheels...I'll send them an email about getting some spare beam part...regards Frank
not a bad idea, and it reminds me that I should get a spare or 2 of the small pins that hold the front of the beam to the mount. I lost one once while removing the beam. Couldn;t find it among all the stuff in that area of the garage, so I was SOL! I tired everything, hardened bolts, a bunch of other possible 'replacement' pins and they all sheared off! That pin takes a bunch of force and needs to be super sturdy. Thought of using a chain link pin, a few years back, but never got around to checking to see if they would fit. If a chain link pin fits, it should prolly be strong enough as well. But still would be good to have a few spares, cause without that pin you and the bike are totally grounded!
Old 07-16-07, 02:48 PM
Codfather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to Softride last week and they are still trying to sell the bike division. Production of new bikes is delayed until a new owner takes over.
Old 12-29-07, 09:05 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spoke with softride and they have stopped making bikes about 18 months ago. I tried to get a spare beam, they have no more. Very sad.
Old 12-29-07, 09:44 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
off thread

Just out of interest, how do you change the seat height on a Softride?
Old 12-29-07, 09:49 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
off thread

Out of interest hiw do you change the seat height on a Softride?
considering that this thread is 5 months old, i think you're allowed to go OT.

back OT, a pic of a city bike in Basel.

Old 12-29-07, 07:40 PM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to answer the question asked, you loosen a bolt and slide the beam up or down and then tighten in place. The bolt is located right under the T in the Softride label on the beam in the picture above.