Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Head set question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Head set question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 07:09 AM
availpunk9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head set question

So I'm looking to build a new frame up. The frameset did't come with a head set. I was going to go with whatever the cheapest head set my bike shop have available, but the mechanic recommended a king. I understand that the king head set will probably last me a life time, but is it worth it? I've had my road bike for 3+ years with roughly 16k miles one it. It's still on the original generic made in china sealed bearing headset.

This mechanic always gave me great advise. I'm not concerned with weight with this build. It's hard for me to justify spending $100+ on a headset. What's your thoughts?
Old 05-02-08, 07:25 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Get something cheaper. A King is nice but not worth it unless you are breaking other headsets or really need to abuse it. Even then you should consider whether it is cheaper to just replace the headset every time for ~$20 or spend 6+ times that much for a King.

That said, I have a King on my MTB, but I have broken a few headsets on other MTBs. Plus this is a classic ride and it kind of deserves a King, imo. If it were a different beater bike, it would get whatever was decent and on sale.
Old 05-02-08, 07:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The King is great but not at the price. A Dia Compe or FSA will be very durable at 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
Old 05-02-08, 07:32 AM
availpunk9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking going the cheap route. This is going to be a commuter. I don't really take my road bike in bad weather, so no wear/tear experience in this field. Is this something to consider?
Old 05-02-08, 08:04 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
The headsets HillRider listed will do just fine for your purposes. Also, since it is a commuter and probably has more exposure to theft, you won't be as upset if it is stolen and you have not lost alot of bling parts.
Old 05-02-08, 10:44 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I understand it, the real use for a Chris King is on a mountain bike where you get lots of off-axis force. Otherwise, they look cool but you have to care about that waaay more than I do to get your money's worth that way.
Old 05-02-08, 11:04 AM
Peter Jon White

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You always pay a lot more for a small improvement at the high end of the market. And the King headset will bind up if you install it in a frame that hasn't been properly machined. But if you don't mind the initial financial hit, you'll save money in the long run if you ride enough. The King headset will never wear out as long as you keep the bearings clean. And that can be done without ever opening up the bearing itself. Just keep a bead of grease on the outside of the seals. It takes ten minutes to wipe that off and regrease once a year. The headset should outlast many framesets.
Old 05-02-08, 03:06 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by availpunk9
It's hard for me to justify spending $100+ on a headset. What's your thoughts?
If it's hard for you to justify, then don't get a King. Chris King headsets are luxuries, not necessities.