Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK, back to this Speedplay thing again

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OK, back to this Speedplay thing again

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 02:51 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chlywhly
i took the intrusion out please continue on.

peace b.
This thread is not going right- It has stayed on topic righ the way through and we are not used to that. And this thread is about pedals- Shoes are closely related to that- and I was going to ask SKT

Will the speedplays work with the MTB 2 bolt shoes- or are they the road type 3 bolt cleat fixing?

Not that it worries me as I will be staying with my MTB shoe and A520 cleats.- but I am up for new shoes shortly- and that may mean pedals aswell. And if it is both- Might even go Look pedals and a "Road" type shoe.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-08-08, 04:34 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplays are 3 hole and 4 hole compatible but not SPD compatible.
My PI Vagabonds have both SPD and Look holes.
I am thinking about a new pair of Sidis though
Old 04-08-08, 07:01 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam

Will the speedplays work with the MTB 2 bolt shoes- or are they the road type 3 bolt cleat fixing?

3bolt. get speedplay frogs and you can do mtn and road.
Old 04-08-08, 09:05 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
I just can't decide between the Zero and Light Action pedals

I do like the idea of adjustable float... I don't know if I need a full 15 degrees. Maybe I don't need any.
So the adjustibility almost sways me to the Zero

Except I heard that the Zero is harder to click in and click out of (hence the Light Action pedal)
What is "harder", exactly. I mean, how hard is hard.

I'm used to SPDs, which aren't tightened down very much -just enough- and they still take a pretty good "kick out" with the heel to get out of.

So is this a concern? What would I be more used to?
I've never tried the LA, but I've owned Zeros for two seasons and X2 and X5 for the previous few years. I've got a problem whereby I occasionally glance my heel off the chainstay and my ankle bone off a crank arm. For me, the Zeros are great because I can limit toe out to zero, correcting that problem, and leave about 6-10 degrees of toe-in (or ankle-out, ankle-in; whichever makes more sense). I have not found them harder to use than the X2s or X5s. All Speedplays are the bomb. Easiest to clip-in (they're hard to miss) and your feet instinctively come out should you crash.

I swear by 'em.

Steve
Old 06-27-08, 03:11 PM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just installed and rode the Z Speedplays yesterday. Please share cleat positioning tips & tricks.
The cleats move forward & aft (shoe attach point) as well as right to left (actual cleat).
Please help me understand what the fore to aft will do for me and what the left to right adjustment does.
I noticed that when moving aft, I started to experience a bit of foot cramping and some heat buildup. Is it a hit or miss setup or are there some experiences you Speedplay folks can share with me?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-08, 07:34 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sojourn
I just installed and rode the Z Speedplays yesterday. Please share cleat positioning tips & tricks.
The cleats move forward & aft (shoe attach point) as well as right to left (actual cleat).
Please help me understand what the fore to aft will do for me and what the left to right adjustment does.
I noticed that when moving aft, I started to experience a bit of foot cramping and some heat buildup. Is it a hit or miss setup or are there some experiences you Speedplay folks can share with me?
Thanks in advance.
Hey, your learning. The for and aft for me also did cause some foot pain. the left and right must be set so that it does NOT result in knee pain. I had a lot of knee pain until I got it correct.

Read Dr. Raforth's material on lower extremity difficulties if you encounter them. https://www.cptips.com/toc.htm#table

He has advice there as to which way to go in setting the position on any cleat not just Speedplays.

Billy
Old 06-30-08, 07:37 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks BillyBob!