Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic look Plastic water bottles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 04:34 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts

Is anyone making classic look water bottles? I've seen aluminum ones and the new BPA free translucent bottles
and nalgene type. But what about something for mid-70's road bikes?

Seems like what is available from the era is crazy expensive.
Old 02-25-16, 04:58 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
good question!

I use the TA handlebar cage on a few of my bikes, so I use regular 16 ounce bottles in the cage. I prefer to use something like the old TA bottles or the Specialized bottles. I started to get concerned about this 10 years ago or so, and bought a bunch at that time. Not all of them were attractive, but they are functional. It would be nice to find some still in production.

here's a shot of a Rivendell labeled Specialized bottle in the TA cage on my Raleigh International...

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-25-16, 05:28 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
quick update:

Poking around the web didn't reveal anything that looks just like the old TA or Specialized bottles.
There are a few that are "normal" sized or close to it, and aren't too modern looking.
My biggest complaint about some of the off-brand bottles is that the nozzle is cheap plastic instead of the nice rubber Specialized nozzles that open easily and seal fairly well. No idea how these will perform in that regard.

California Springs Bio Green Classic Twist Bottle, Standard 20 oz. - White

Lazer Waterbottle, 21 Ounce Clear with black top

Castelli Water Bottle - Water Bottles - Excel Sports
"Classic white and red Castelli graphics with the Scorpion logo do a great banding job for those who want to show their love for Castelli. 18.6oz capacity is compact and perfect for short to medium range rides."

from Rivendell: Water Bottle of the Immortals
18 ounce capacity.
"These can't be screen printed, and they don't squeeze as easily as the normal kind, but the Live Forever feature makes up for that, and even if you don't care to live that long, you'll at least like that they don't make the water taste like plastic. Plus, the Clear ones are exceptionally clear. "

slim pickings, but better than nothing...?

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-25-16, 05:37 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
California Springs Water Bottle 22oz White
Old 02-25-16, 06:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I definitely do not follow C&V when it comes to water bottles.
The new stuff is fine with me, and there is no nostalgia for the old.
Form me, insulated bottles for hot days and even metal insulated Thermos bottles.

On a yearly triathlon, I keep a very cold beer in one, on the bike, until I'm done.
Ice cold incentive, and it's not like I'm going to miss the podium because of it.

I had a Campagnolo aero bottle and if I couldn't really get the outside clean.
The inside was clean and disinfected, just not my style.

Since I ride solo, convenience stores have sort of become my water stops, anyway.
A Tacx round canister serves as a tool bag/GU container most of the time, in my one cage.

As someone who has imbibed from all sorts of canteens and containers all over the world, I no longer tempt my tract, so to speak.
One bout of dysentery, in all of its goodness, was more than enough. Great weight loss program, but not to be repeated.
Old 02-25-16, 06:12 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
"there is no nostalgia for the old."

an appropriate look is very important to me.

Old 02-25-16, 06:29 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I've had a similar conundrum as most modern bottles look pretty silly. I'm going to give the clear Rivendell bottles a try I think.

Even BITD I never liked the Specialized bottles. Tasted plasticky. I'd seek out the REG, TA or ALE bottles whenever possible.
Old 02-25-16, 08:46 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I'd like to find modern, BPA-free replicas of C&V plastic water bottles, but nobody seems to make them. So I'm stuck to less appealing looking to me, modern bottles that do not relate at all to my C&V bikes.....
Tried to use an NOS bottle made by Cobra, but the plastic stink, and I suspect, the chemicals it leaches out really scared me off....
No replicas exist most likely because of brand logo copyright issues for many brands still around in some form or another. They don't even have to be using the brand name or logo to keep you from using them as long as they have ownership/rights to it.....
Old 02-25-16, 09:07 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the same problem, have 2 bidon cages from the 70s - one NOS elcheapo on the Grand Prix and a GC T/A on the International. New bottles just don't fit correctly.
Old 02-25-16, 09:35 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I like my Campagnolo Aero water bottles. MIELE with Columbus SLX frameset.

IMG_3525 by Miele Man, on Flickr

IMG_3529 by Miele Man, on Flickr

Cheers
Old 02-26-16, 06:24 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 406 Posts
I've found that the 'baby bottle' nipples on the classic bottles, and a lot of current sport bottles, just don't flow enough liquid fast enough. I'm using the Rubbermaid Chug bottles as shown at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PNSV3SCBCF7WJG
When you flip the cap the hole is about 3/4" across so you can chug a couple of good gulps quickly then reseat the bottle easily. You don't have to squeeze the bottle, just dump the water. The style shown at the link fits all the bottle cages I've got (from various eras) and sits securely.

Rubbermaid has an 'improved design' that does not work as well and the lower end of the bottle is narrower and does not fit bottle cages.
Old 02-26-16, 06:50 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by Prowler
I've found that the 'baby bottle' nipples on the classic bottles, and a lot of current sport bottles, just don't flow enough liquid fast enough.
That's part of the reason the Italian bottles were better than Specialized BITD. They had simple flip tops, and the water flowed out of them at least twice as fast.

Specialized made a big deal about their no hands tooth open-able tops, and obviously they convinced everyone it was better since they immediately became dominant. To me the nipple thing wasn't any easier than using a finger or thumb to flip the lid when you went to grab the bottle.
Old 02-26-16, 01:54 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
vtchuck-

I use the California Springs 22oz bottle on both my Bertins. They are classic in appearance and highly functional. The cap doesn't leak, the bottle is squeezable to accelerate water flow and easy to clean. I like the neck design as it allows the fingers to grasp the bottle firmly to hook it out of the cage. Mine were ordered from Niagara and the service across the border to Canada was very quick. I now have a stash of them, just in case.
Old 02-26-16, 02:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
Damn, that's it right there! I might order myself 50 of those

Well, an even half-dozen. I like that I was able to link directly to my Paypal to take care of the payment. I'll leave a review here after they've arrived.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-26-16 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 02:13 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
Those are nice ... I'm after something similar for my 1980's Koga Miyata ... it has the aero bottle bracket and I'm searching the net for something that will fit (at a reasonable price)
Old 02-26-16, 02:13 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I definitely do not follow C&V when it comes to water bottles.
The new stuff is fine with me, and there is no nostalgia for the old.
Form me, insulated bottles for hot days and even metal insulated Thermos bottles.

On a yearly triathlon, I keep a very cold beer in one, on the bike, until I'm done.
Ice cold incentive, and it's not like I'm going to miss the podium because of it.

I had a Campagnolo aero bottle and if I couldn't really get the outside clean.
The inside was clean and disinfected, just not my style.

Since I ride solo, convenience stores have sort of become my water stops, anyway.
A Tacx round canister serves as a tool bag/GU container most of the time, in my one cage.

As someone who has imbibed from all sorts of canteens and containers all over the world, I no longer tempt my tract, so to speak.
One bout of dysentery, in all of its goodness, was more than enough. Great weight loss program, but not to be repeated.
I feel the same way. I dont have any particularily great memories of how water tasted in the old bottles, lol. Plus the newer insulated ones as mentioned are really nice to use.
Old 02-27-16, 06:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Yep, had one of those and ended up giving it away.

I found some of the new style insulated in a small size, and I like those. One froze by accident and split open.
I took them on a ride once, and one of the girls said "I like your little bottles."
"Thanks, me too: I'm a leg man." She snorted and sped up.

Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
Old 02-27-16, 07:28 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
^Robbie

I don't know, but call me dribble and leaker. Last year DD, you gratuitous gave the Clean Bottles w/ logo.

Well, lets just say mine leaked. I'm normally sporting a hydration bladder but it was probably a week later I had the Clean Bottle on another bike. Hot and humid day and figured my sweat was making a bit mess below- LOL. Then noticed was running way low on water. Jeezo! Clean Bottle was cool about it and sent me replacements. Nice folks. Further explained there was a batch of defects. To me it looked like it was in the seam center of the vessel. Anyways, all good now and today I went for a ride sporting '80's C&V 'fanny packn'. That's right, you heard me. Two Clean Bottles in an Ingear fanny pack. haha

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-27-16 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 03:07 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by bertinjim
vtchuck-

I use the California Springs 22oz bottle on both my Bertins. They are classic in appearance and highly functional. The cap doesn't leak, the bottle is squeezable to accelerate water flow and easy to clean. I like the neck design as it allows the fingers to grasp the bottle firmly to hook it out of the cage. Mine were ordered from Niagara and the service across the border to Canada was very quick. I now have a stash of them, just in case.
Agree 100% - I ordered six and got them within a week. I should've ordered an even dozen. They look great, feel great, fit all my various cages perfectly, squeeze well...

They sure do look like the real deal from BITD, too. $1.99 per bottle - how can you lose?

Recommended heartily.

DD
Old 03-04-16, 03:23 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
bought mine for cheap ...came with the cage aswell and matches my Miyata paint colour:

SPORTS BIKE/FIXIE UNIQUE AERO WATER BOTTLE & CAGE BLUE | eBay

Old 03-04-16, 05:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by crank_addict
^Robbie

I don't know, but call me dribble and leaker. Last year DD, you gratuitous gave the Clean Bottles w/ logo.
I knew I couldn't find mine for some reason....
JK, I only like the polar/iceberg models any more, or something for coffee.
Old 03-04-16, 05:21 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Agree 100% - I ordered six and got them within a week. I should've ordered an even dozen. They look great, feel great, fit all my various cages perfectly, squeeze well...

They sure do look like the real deal from BITD, too. $1.99 per bottle - how can you lose?

Recommended heartily.
Thanks for the review. I'll pick up a couple of these some time. Modern wide mouth bottles just look wrong on vintage bikes.

IIRC, these old type small mouth bottles were used through the 80s and 90s also, not just the 70s, or was that just me? I've been out of cycling for few years. When did these big mouths get popular anyway? Are the Nalgene compatible? I guess that would make sense.
Old 03-04-16, 05:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Thanks for the review. I'll pick up a couple of these some time. Modern wide mouth bottles just look wrong on vintage bikes.

IIRC, these old type small mouth bottles were used through the 80s and 90s also, not just the 70s, or was that just me? I've been out of cycling for few years. When did these big mouths get popular anyway? Are the Nalgene compatible? I guess that would make sense.
Most welcome

I remember watching the TDF in 1995 and back then the bottles supplied to the peloton were all sponsored by Coca-Cola. They of course were red/white and of the narrow-mouth variety. I even bought a few of those self-same bottles at Condor Cycles.

I'm not sure exactly when the wide-mouth bottles came about, tho. I just know the old stuff was still getting play in 1995

DD
Old 03-04-16, 05:49 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

Recommended heartily.

DD
Good to know. All my old ones taste like plastic. No matter how hard I try I can't get that taste out of them. Priced right, too!
Old 03-04-16, 06:33 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
Good to know. All my old ones taste like plastic. No matter how hard I try I can't get that taste out of them. Priced right, too!
Have you tried baking soda and hot water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.