Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 12:44 PM
bram06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke noise

So I recently had a issue with my RXL Wheelset which included broken spokes and spokes twisting. Trek decided to upgrade me to the Paradigm Elite wheelset. The spokes are not twisting on these but what they are doing is making a pinging noise. It doesn't do it all the time just at the beginning of ride and if I take a long break mid ride. Checked tensions and everything was within spec. Saw on a site where someone said to put a drop of oil where the spokes cross. I did this and it fixed the noise until the oil wears off. Do you think it's okay to relube or do you think there is another issue?

Last edited by bram06; 08-10-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 01:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Front?
Rear?
Your weight?
Number of spokes?
What tension?
Old 08-09-16, 02:37 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FWIW, that's a 24 spoke rear, 18 front.
Old 08-09-16, 06:18 PM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Front?
Rear?
Your weight?
Number of spokes?
What tension?
Like alex said its 24 rear 18 front. Weight is 220. Tensions i'll check on. Can't remember the number exactly but do remember they are within treks specs.
Old 08-09-16, 06:22 PM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front?
Rear?
Your weight?
Number of spokes?
What tension?

Just went and checked tensions. Spokes on drive side measure between 130 - 137 kgf. Non drive side measure between 105 -110 kgf.
Old 08-09-16, 06:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Sometimes new wheels will ping for a while, then quiet down after a few hundred miles.

A drop of oil can't hurt anything (other than your brakes).
Old 08-09-16, 06:33 PM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Sometimes new wheels will ping for a while, then quiet down after a few hundred miles.

A drop of oil can't hurt anything (other than your brakes).
Yeah I just put a drop then wipe off the excess.

Last edited by bram06; 08-09-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-09-16, 09:13 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

The tensions seem "too balanced" for this to be a conventional wheel.
Is it spoked with 8 on the NDS and 16 on the DS or does it have an offset rim? (or disc brake hub)
Old 08-09-16, 11:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Spoke creak isn't all that rare, and oiling the crosses is fine if it works. If you want a longer anti-creak service interval you can use a heavier oil or even some grease.

On older wheels (normal spoke count) with deeper wear notches, I've spring the spokes apart at the cross and trapped tiny pieces of paper or poly cut from a thick ziplock, and found it works well and lasts.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-10-16, 06:41 AM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tensions seem "too balanced" for this to be a conventional wheel.
Is it spoked with 8 on the NDS and 16 on the DS or does it have an offset rim? (or disc brake hub)

12 spokes on each side. Where the spokes go into the rim is offset. Also forgot the mention that the non drive side is radial.
Old 08-10-16, 06:55 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think some "plinging" going up steep grades is pretty normal for a new wheel.
My mechanic puts a little drop of loctite at where the spoke goes into the wheel (on round spokes), spins the wheel around and does this on each, then on the next pass, just wipes it all off clean. Maybe check with some knowledgeable guys if this is ok to do as opposed to the oil - should have the same effect I would assume.

My wheels on my FUJI, Vera Corsa's, the spokes themselves are bladed...and they all intersect with one other spoke, so there's literally no way they can loosen themselves.
Old 08-10-16, 06:59 AM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
I think some "plinging" going up steep grades is pretty normal for a new wheel.
My mechanic puts a little drop of loctite at where the spoke goes into the wheel (on round spokes), spins the wheel around and does this on each, then on the next pass, just wipes it all off clean. Maybe check with some knowledgeable guys if this is ok to do as opposed to the oil - should have the same effect I would assume.

My wheels on my FUJI, Vera Corsa's, the spokes themselves are bladed...and they all intersect with one other spoke, so there's literally no way they can loosen themselves.
Yeah so my noise doesn't happen going up hills. It only does it right at the beginning of a ride or anytime I'm off the bike for 15 minutes or more. It only lasts for 45 seconds when it does do it. Also im not putting the oil where the spoke goes into the wheel. Im putting it where 2 spokes cross each other. Like your wheels mine are the same. Bladed and only cross 1 other spoke.
Old 08-10-16, 07:05 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bram06
Yeah so my noise doesn't happen going up hills. It only does it right at the beginning of a ride or anytime I'm off the bike for 15 minutes or more. It only lasts for 45 seconds when it does do it. Also im not putting the oil where the spoke goes into the wheel. Im putting it where 2 spokes cross each other. Like your wheels mine are the same. Bladed and only cross 1 other spoke.
Oh I got you. Yeah on my Roubaix they aren't bladed. That's the one where I had two spokes loosen. As they got more and more loose, the plinging going up hills got worse and worse, and also like when I'd lift the bike over a curb and/or turn it by lifting (maneuvering it in the house, etc) I could just hear rattling on the rear wheel when it would hit the ground.

My bladed spokes don't make any noise at all. They used to make noise when the bike was brand new though, and when I had the super knobby tires on it, whenever i'd roll over a bigger rock or root, etc.

I'm not a wheel expert, just sharing my story and my experiences to maybe help you out a little bit, I don't know.
Old 08-10-16, 07:10 AM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
Oh I got you. Yeah on my Roubaix they aren't bladed. That's the one where I had two spokes loosen. As they got more and more loose, the plinging going up hills got worse and worse, and also like when I'd lift the bike over a curb and/or turn it by lifting (maneuvering it in the house, etc) I could just hear rattling on the rear wheel when it would hit the ground.

My bladed spokes don't make any noise at all. They used to make noise when the bike was brand new though, and when I had the super knobby tires on it, whenever i'd roll over a bigger rock or root, etc.

I'm not a wheel expert, just sharing my story and my experiences to maybe help you out a little bit, I don't know.

Yeah thanks for the info. I guess I forgot to mention that this wheel has under 100 miles on it so I guess it could go away after more mileage
Old 08-10-16, 10:49 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I've had that happen on new wheels, but it goes away after a while.
Old 08-10-16, 11:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

12 spokes on each side. Where the spokes go into the rim is offset. Also forgot the mention that the non drive side is radial.

OK- That explains why the tensions are so "similar".
With a non offset rim, NDS tension will range from about 50-70% of DS.
More cogs, more "imbalance".
Your % is similar to my offset %. (Velocity Synergy OC) on my Rockhopper.

I'll bow out on this since I've not dealt with that lacing pattern OR 24 spoke wheels.
I'm a 32-36 cross 3 kinda guy although my next front will be a 2 cross. Just to do a 2X.

As far as pops & creaks, all mine were pretty much gone in about the first 3-4 revolutions with my butt on the bike.
Old 08-10-16, 11:33 AM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK- That explains why the tensions are so "similar".
With a non offset rim, NDS tension will range from about 50-70% of DS.
More cogs, more "imbalance".
Your % is similar to my offset %. (Velocity Synergy OC) on my Rockhopper.

I'll bow out on this since I've not dealt with that lacing pattern OR 24 spoke wheels.
I'm a 32-36 cross 3 kinda guy although my next front will be a 2 cross. Just to do a 2X.

As far as pops & creaks, all mine were pretty much gone in about the first 3-4 revolutions with my butt on the bike.
Yeah I'd say thats about how long it takes for mine to stop. Just comes back when I'm off the bike for 15 minutes or more.
Old 08-10-16, 11:59 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Yeah I'd say thats about how long it takes for mine to stop. Just comes back when I'm off the bike for 15 minutes or more.
How EVEN were the tensions per side?
Since I build my own and have as much time as I want to use, I've got mine within +/- 5%. I'll give up a tiny bit of "trueness" for a bit better "tension balance".
With fewer spokes, that becomes more difficult. A "so so" rim that naturally wants to be out of true can become a headache.
If you are worse than 20%, I'd say that needs to be corrected. Personally, I'd be disappointed if it were over 10%.

The end result may be that at your weight and that number of spokes, you may be at the limits of that wheel. Especially if you are a strong rider. If you really torque on the rear, you should have a wheel with more crosses.
In your configuration, you basically have- when you mash-
6 DS spokes carrying the load.
6 DS spokes trying to "unwind".
12 NDS spokes that don't have much resistance to this, because they are radial.
Old 08-10-16, 12:10 PM
bram06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How EVEN were the tensions per side?
Since I build my own and have as much time as I want to use, I've got mine within +/- 5%. I'll give up a tiny bit of "trueness" for a bit better "tension balance".
With fewer spokes, that becomes more difficult. A "so so" rim that naturally wants to be out of true can become a headache.
If you are worse than 20%, I'd say that needs to be corrected. Personally, I'd be disappointed if it were over 10%.

The end result may be that at your weight and that number of spokes, you may be at the limits of that wheel. Especially if you are a strong rider. If you really torque on the rear, you should have a wheel with more crosses.
In your configuration, you basically have- when you mash-
6 DS spokes carrying the load.
6 DS spokes trying to "unwind".
12 NDS spokes that don't have much resistance to this, because they are radial.
When I plug the number into the park tool app they are within 15%. When I got them they were exactly the same. If I change it to 10% then there are 1 or 2 that need adjusted. Power wise right now my ftp is 300. When I'm really mashing on it I peak at 1450 watts.

I also asked trek about my weight along with my power output and they said the wheel would have absolutely no issue with that combo. Not sure how much to trust them but thats why I'm here.

Also one other thing to add is the stock wheels were 24 spoke and never had the issue. I guess that could be because both sides were laced.

Last edited by bram06; 08-10-16 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 12:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My new rear wheel with heavier stainless spokes creaked and pinged for a few weeks, especially under heavier pedaling and uphills. Stopped by itself within a month. Very snug fit between those spokes so there would be some galling, but I doubt it was enough to worry about.
Old 08-11-16, 02:18 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Coloured spokes are more prone to ping, than the plain stainless steel ones. If the spokes are coloured (black, or other colour), it's quite usual they make noise.