Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help needed, Nitto B105AA handlebars and Nitto NTC-A stem not compactible??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-20, 01:24 PM
Jantaras

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Hello,

I have Nitto B105AA handlebars and Nitto NTC-A Dynamic 10 stem for my RIH build, both clamping size 25,4 mm.

I can't install the handlebars because of the last bend, I can't rotate clamps narrow part to bars' inside curve because the stem's base hits the drops. I tried from other direction too...
I tried to pry stem's clamp open a bit to no avail, it seems like I would have to use extreme force to get the clamp open enough. I can instal the stem backwards easily because the drops are not in the way while rotating. Looks like the Nitto stem tool is not suitable for this type of stem either.

Do I have any other options? Is this stem not compactibe for some reason, maybe the drops are too low to let the stem rotate in desirable position? Do I have to pry the clamp open very hard? I think I would crack it if I try that.

Thaks for your opinions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Iamage001.jpg (74.1 KB, 159 views)
Iamage002.jpg (94.1 KB, 158 views)
Iamage003.jpg (129.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 03-04-20, 01:52 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Two Thoughts...

...since I've come across this recently. Mine was removing the Nitto I-Beam stem from an early '70s Fuji. The typical shape for the clamp portion of the stem has a significant taper from the top center of where the handlebar fits (centered) to the bottom center of the handlebar. This old I-Beam stem didn't have a taper.

You said that you were able to move the stem (using this taper) along the backward orientation of the bar, but not in the forward where I'm guessing that the curve of the bar interferes with the quill portion of the stem. Where following the contour of the handlebar becomes impossible, then you need something creative.

- remove the stem bolt
- find a long bolt or threaded rod that can fit through completely
- find two thin nuts that fit the bolt/rod threads
- position the two nuts between the openings of the stem
- thread the rod from one side, through the nuts, and out the other
- counter rotate the nuts carefully to widen the stem clamp enough to get around the blockage. Carefully
- Voila (art attached).

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 03-05-20 at 06:49 AM.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-04-20, 01:55 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
They used to make tools designed to spread stem clamps a bit. The other problem is that you need to turn the bars until you find an angle that works. That takes patience. Don't push it. You will eventually find the right angle.
Old 03-04-20, 02:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Orient the bars so that the inside (i.e. tighter) bend is at the bottom of the stem, where the clamp is narrowest. That should work.
Old 03-15-20, 11:13 AM
Jantaras

Thanks for your help!

Finally got time to try. Scratched the bars a some more and now I'm scratching my head. And cursing Nitto.

Well, the opening is very thin, a little less than 4 mm. I can't find any thin nuts to fit the opening, they should be thinner than 2 mm each... I pried the opening with screwdriver to about 5 mm, the stem advances a bit more, but still a long shot from success and I got a hard time removing it back.

The reason I bought new stem and bars is that I would be comfortable that it is not crashed, fatigued, scratched and I would be able to use force while sprinting without any fear. I am not very comfortable spreading the stem's opening using excessive force. Can't the aluminium crack or get damaged while doing this? How much can I pry?

I still think there's no way to find the right angle, I can clearly see the path I need to follow, but I can't rotate the stem that way. On the other hand, Nitto should be a good manufacturer, how can they design the stem in such way? I am puzzled.
Attached Images
Image001.jpg (145.5 KB, 122 views)
Image002.jpg (153.0 KB, 121 views)
Old 03-15-20, 02:49 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
You need rotate the other direction on the flat right after the bend.
Old 03-15-20, 06:15 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Looks like Jantaras discovered the way that I was about to post up!

All good now.

One trick I sometimes use when the clamp actually has to be opened a bit is to insert an Allen key and twist it a twelfth of a turn. Then another key that is incrementally larger.
One shouldn't go wild here though. Often I do have to spread the clamp to remove a stem without scratching the center section of the bars (but try rotating to the best position first).
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-15-20, 06:44 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Older Nitto Bar Design With Newer Nitto Stems

Originally Posted by Jantaras
Hello,

I have Nitto B105AA handlebars and Nitto NTC-A Dynamic 10 stem, both clamping size 25,4 mm.
The Nitto B105AA bars date back to the early 70's while the Dynamic stems were a later design.

I've seen warnings several places online saying that newer Nitto stem designs are not compatible with B105 or B115 bars.

One thing that you could try is to file a very slight champfer on the outside edge of stem bore where it's hanging up. Also I grease the stem and bars. It's messy but assembly goes together smoother.

Another suggestion, I use clear plastic packing tape on the center section of the bars to prevent scratching during assembly and remove it when the stem is close to the proper position.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 03-16-20, 03:57 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Just so you know you're not the only one - I had exactly the same problem with a Nitto stem, presumably the same model as yours. I couldn't get a standard drop bar through, but it worked just fine if the bars were backward or with a bar with a randonneur-type bend (ie drops are flared outward), so I thought maybe it was designed specifically for that. It was at the co-op, so I dealt with it by just grabbing a different stem and not spending any more time on it, which means I don't have any solution for you (unless you are fine with a randonneur bar). Just wanted to let you know that if there is an easy solution, you're not the only one missing it.
Old 03-25-20, 04:37 AM
Jantaras

Thank you all for suggestions and comments, much appreciated!

As I have several projects that could use new stems and handlebars, I will order a new stem for these bars and new bars for stem. I dont want to file or spread the stem very much because I am afraid to compromise its strength. And I can't see any other easy ways to install it.
I believe a classic-looking stem like Technomic will suit the bars well.

How about the Dynamic stem, are there other dropbars that are compatible (except of randonneur type)? Are there any compatibility charts or something like that for Nitto parts?
Old 03-25-20, 09:29 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've used 2 opposed wooden shims to get a little extra spread on a stem clamp.
Old 02-07-24, 12:37 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
I know this is a Cicada thread, but many of use this forum and these threads as an ongoing reference.

I wanted to add that Nitto had this problem solved many many years ago, with "Nitto Tool #3" and then "Nitto Tool #4".

As of this writing, Tool #3 is long gone, and Tool #4 may have been discontinued. I have no connection, but I have found RetroGression and Soma to be the best sources for Nitto parts.

https://velobase.com/ViewTool.aspx?I...85730&AbsPos=0
https://www.retro-gression.com/produ...reading-tool-4
Old 02-07-24, 01:16 PM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
I battled a pair of the same bars into a Nitto CR-52 a few days ago - bars definitely didn't come out of it looking brand new but a method similar to the drawing from Phil_gretz worked just fine for me! My version was using the bolt & a thin nut that fit inside the space of the stem to push on a thin piece of metal. I've also had success wedging whatever size hex wrench is slightly-too-big in for other bar/stems combos that gave me trouble.