Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

15 minute cities

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

15 minute cities

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 11:36 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
But that IS the intention of planners. They want to undo what was done with uniform zoning all over North America. No one was ALLOWED to put a store in a residential neighbourhood for decades.

I don't know anything about California or proposition whatever, I'm not going to follow that red herring. But in order to change decades of misguided planning they need to plan a little, not just undo the restrictions and allow anything anywhere. Hence planning the concept of 15min cities. Like you say, many cities outside of North America are already laid out like this. The point is to bring retail and commerce into the suburbs as well as the downtowns.
This isn't strictly a zoning issue. Actual urban areas tend to allow for such a mix and such a mix often existed at one point but people abandoned smaller local stores to drive to larger stores offering lower prices and greater variety. Suburbs do tend to have retail and commerce, they just aren't walkable. Because nothing is walkable in American suburbs. And mere changes in zoning can't fix that. Suburbs are just not laid out in such a way that walkable stores would be feasible.

In my small city, urban neighborhoods have seen supermarkets leave the area due to market conditions. Zoning can't fix that. The suburbs have commercial and retail sectors on the main roads but they're walkable to only a few nearby apartments. The homes stretch out on winding streets leading away from the main highway and are too spread out to facilitate walking. And most every city I've lived in has been similar.
Old 10-04-23, 05:12 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
This isn't strictly a zoning issue. Actual urban areas tend to allow for such a mix and such a mix often existed at one point but people abandoned smaller local stores to drive to larger stores offering lower prices and greater variety. Suburbs do tend to have retail and commerce, they just aren't walkable. Because nothing is walkable in American suburbs. And mere changes in zoning can't fix that. Suburbs are just not laid out in such a way that walkable stores would be feasible.

In my small city, urban neighborhoods have seen supermarkets leave the area due to market conditions. Zoning can't fix that. The suburbs have commercial and retail sectors on the main roads but they're walkable to only a few nearby apartments. The homes stretch out on winding streets leading away from the main highway and are too spread out to facilitate walking. And most every city I've lived in has been similar.
And the suburbs were planned out to be that homogeneous mess. The problem was created by single-family only zoning, and you can absolutely encourage "densification" as suburbs age with both redevelopment and fill-in development, along with building municipal works that try to narrow the gap between the convenience of the car and everything else. Sidewalks and paths can be built to allow pedestrians and cyclists to get around without having to follow the mouse-in-a-maze routes that cars do in suburbs - harder after the initial development, but can still be done.

You can require mixed-use and mixed-density in new development. You can give preferential property tax treatment to the development you want. You can run good public transit, and you'll get development near your line - high-end condos have sprouted up all along the new rail line being built in a city I'm thinking of, especially right at each of the stations.
Old 10-04-23, 05:57 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The funny thing about a lot of the people that live in suburbia is that if they live near a big city, they go downtown fairly frequently. They probably would go there more often if it was easier and faster to get to, i.e., public transportation. They want what it offers.
(Month old post)
Not here.....I can walk to many things or bus to them in the suburb, and they are all in the suburbs. Or I can end up at Hopkins if it takes that much care, about the only one of a handful of times I am in the city through the course of the year. I bike often, and hate people regardless of my mode of transport!

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-05-23 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 06:02 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by cooker
.Some people are going to respond to this with rage and antisocial behaviour.
I am like that no matter what.
Old 10-04-23, 06:05 PM
StarBiker

And the suburbs were planned out to be that homogeneous mess. The problem was created by single-family only zoning, and you can absolutely encourage "densification" as suburbs age with both redevelopment and fill-in development, along with building municipal works that try to narrow the gap between the convenience of the car and everything else. Sidewalks and paths can be built to allow pedestrians and cyclists to get around without having to follow the mouse-in-a-maze routes that cars do in suburbs - harder after the initial development, but can still be done.

You can require mixed-use and mixed-density in new development. You can give preferential property tax treatment to the development you want. You can run good public transit, and you'll get development near your line - high-end condos have sprouted up all along the new rail line being built in a city I'm thinking of, especially right at each of the stations.
I live in the fifth highest population density state in the US. You don't have to encourage densification, it's here.
Old 10-06-23, 02:09 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Originally Posted by StarBiker
I live in the fifth highest population density state in the US. You don't have to encourage densification, it's here.
Sure. But if you extremely dense housing with no grocery store within 15min, then something needs to change. There's a market there, people buy food. There must be a disincentive to setting up a store. City planners need to figure out what that disincentive is and change policies to put an incentive there.
Old 10-06-23, 03:30 PM
StarBiker

Sure. But if you extremely dense housing with no grocery store within 15min, then something needs to change. There's a market there, people buy food. There must be a disincentive to setting up a store. City planners need to figure out what that disincentive is and change policies to put an incentive there.
What, like Freddie Gray? Getting angry, destroying your neighborhood? That kind of thing? And the police were acquitted by a mostly black jury.

You have to have a Tax Base, and some safety would help........where both are access to shopping is as well.

Everything is out here.......Most people still drive. The only cyclists I see think they are in the Tour De France. I rarely see a regular rider like myself. (DC Metro would be much better for cyclists)

And I still do most of my riding on sidewalks. To many dangerous roads with a LOT OF TRAFFIC.
Old 10-06-23, 05:14 PM
Viich
Hack

What, like Freddie Gray? Getting angry, destroying your neighborhood? That kind of thing? And the police were acquitted by a mostly black jury.

You have to have a Tax Base, and some safety would help........where both are access to shopping is as well......
I have no idea what you're talking about or where you are from. I'm not from USA, you seem to be dropping hints that you think should make me change my mind about something, but I don't even know what you're arguing at this point.
Old 10-07-23, 09:11 PM
StarBiker

Old 10-07-23, 09:13 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by jon c.
Because nothing is walkable in American suburbs. And mere changes in zoning can't fix that. Suburbs are just not laid out in such a way that walkable stores would be feasible.
Depends on the Suburb, and how close you live to the commercial zone. I can walk to anything. Or walk across the street and wait for the bus. All depends on where.
Old 10-08-23, 08:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
There is an article on the NPR website about Fifteen Minute Cities and the crazy conspiracy theories the proposal is encountering. Some of them are nuttier even than the ones that have been posted here.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-09-23, 10:24 AM
Viich
Hack

Depends on the Suburb, and how close you live to the commercial zone. I can walk to anything. Or walk across the street and wait for the bus. All depends on where.
But that's the whole "15min city" concept. To get what you already have, be able to walk to everything you absolutely need.
Old 10-11-23, 05:23 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
There is an article on the NPR website about Fifteen Minute Cities and the crazy conspiracy theories the proposal is encountering.
Thanks. That was a nice article.

Some of them are nuttier even than the ones that have been posted here.
Hmmm. No, I'd say they're just about equally nutty. Sorta makes me wonder where they got this stuff but after a moment I'm mostly glad I don't know.
Likes For RChung:
Old 10-18-23, 12:25 PM
Dokiz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I've been living in Paris for a while now, and the concept of "15-minute cities" really resonates with my experience here. Paris is often cited as an embodiment of this idea, and I can vouch for that. The compact urban design, coupled with efficient public transportation and bike-friendly roads, has made it incredibly convenient to get around and have a variety of experiences within close proximity.

Mayor Anne Hidalgo's initiative to further transform Paris into a 15-minute city has been quite visible (sure you have to tolerate the constant works for bike lanes but that's a pain I'm ready to endure ).
Likes For Dokiz:
Old 10-19-23, 05:33 PM
StarBiker

Europe does not have the Car culture the US has. Paris would be a neat bike ride city, and probably has the cycling infrastructure to support it.
Old 10-20-23, 10:56 AM
Dokiz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
And seeing how difficult it is in Paris to build all these infrastructures, in a small walkable city in a country that does not have a car culture as strong as the US', I cannot imagine how difficult it might be in "car cities" such as LA.
Old 10-21-23, 11:09 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Europe does not have the Car culture the US has. Paris would be a neat bike ride city, and probably has the cycling infrastructure to support it.
Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean by that but there are plenty of car companies, car owners, car enthusiasts, car collectors in Europe. Until COVID, I'd say that Paris was pretty inhospitable to cycling. I've spent roughly a quarter of the last couple of decades living in Paris and the difference pre- and post-Hidalgo is pretty stunning (the difference pre- and post-Delanoe was also big, but the Hidalgo difference was larger). The bottom line is that even in a city like Paris, which used to be pretty hostile to bikes, a change can happen quickly, if the right vision and incentives are in place.
Likes For RChung:
Old 10-21-23, 12:33 PM
StarBiker

The bottom line is you would have to completely redesign many cities to accomplish what many of you continuously dribble about in this silly forum.

It's laughable. Especially the tax dollars that would have to go towards implementing it. Not gonna happen in the US. Not in large cities. Especially smaller in size but still have larger populations. Older eastern cities immediately come to mind.

People don't feel safe, and they have the money you can forget it! Cycle for leisure, drive everywhere else.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-21-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-21-23, 12:41 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

The bottom line is you would have to completely redesign many cities to accomplish what many of you continuously dribble about in the silly forum.

It's laughable. Especially the tax dollars that would have to go towards implementing it. Not gonna happen in the US. Not in large cities.
Paris has not been completely redesigned.
Old 10-21-23, 12:45 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Dokiz
And seeing how difficult it is in Paris to build all these infrastructures, in a small walkable city in a country that does not have a car culture as strong as the US', I cannot imagine how difficult it might be in "car cities" such as LA.
Western cities have a normal city core, and a suburb, than an outer suburb, and they call all that a city....it's quite insane.
Old 10-21-23, 12:46 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by RChung
Paris has not been completely redesigned.
Neither has here either. Share the road.....makes most cyclists feel safe.

This is a US forum the last time I checked.......

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-21-23 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-21-23, 06:52 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Neither has here either. Share the road.....makes most cyclists feel safe.
I used to think that most cycling infrastructure was unnecessary (I still think that some types of infrastructure probably are). But I try to be persuaded by evidence, and the evidence is that Paris has been transformed over the last three years. We split our time between the US and Paris because my wife's job is split between the two, and my work is pretty portable. I ride both here in the US and there, and have for years; she's been commuting by bike to campus here in the US for several years but was quite reluctant to commute by bike in Paris. I actually disliked the (few) bike lanes in Paris and avoided them. However, since Hidalgo instituted this aggressive bike infrastructure program during COVID, she's been commuting by bike. In fact, she's been biking across the city to her parents' homes. She absolutely never did that before. Although I avoided the bike lanes (because I can and have been comfortable taking the lane) she says they were a key to why she's been riding in Paris just like she does in the US. She's not alone: several of her colleagues now also bike into work, and they didn't before. The evidence is that bike infrastructure made a difference to lots of riders.

That said, a lot of the new infrastructure started off as paint, and re-timing of traffic lights, and better signage, not physical barriers. Many of the large busy streets already had bus and taxi lanes, and now bikes are generally allowed in those lanes, which is why I said above that Paris has not been completely redesigned.

I was pretty skeptical that Paris would ever be like Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Because I can be convinced by evidence, I'm less skeptical now.

This is a US forum the last time I checked.......
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of international forum members: even though the majority are US residents, I don't ever recall that when I signed up there was a requirement that we all be.
Likes For RChung:
Old 10-25-23, 10:47 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Dokiz
I went to Paris with some friends 20 years ago. One guy was really scared of the subway even after I explained it to him. So we walked across Paris.

I wouldn’t consider it that small of a city.
Old 10-31-23, 12:54 PM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm one target demographic for 15 minute cities. Not the conspiracy theory they want to control your lives but urban design changes achieved primarily via eliminating zoning restrictions. Zoning restrictions that disallowed multi-family housing, disallowed small businesses mixed with housing. I want walkability, meaning the ability to walk to the goods and services I need.

I think zoning restrictions are part of the reason mom and pop shops have been displaced by big boxes. Indeed it is impossible to compete on price, but a neighborhood store can compete on convenience. That's been made impossible with zoning restrictions. Maybe my own version of a conspiracy theory, but I think restrictions that prevent someone from deciding to open a small shop in a neighborhood don't serve anyone but the big box stores.

I understand there are people who want to live in car suburbia, be surrounded by manicured lawns, and never see another human that isn't in a car. Dallas is their dream city. We have a billion acres of that (ok, slight exaggeration). It's extreme paranoia for those people, who are a part of that extremely dominant culture, to freak out when other people want their own neighborhoods to be something different.
Zoning restrictions trying to keep non-residential uses out of residential areas are long gone, as far as I know -- an obsolete 1950's idea. That being said, in single family housing suburban areas the distances resulting from spreading people out that much still kill the 15 minute city idea.

European cities are pretty much all 15 minute cities and always have been. I live at the moment in Tallinn, Estonia, 5 minute walk to groceries and barber shop, 15 minute walk to a really good shopping center with cinema etc., 2 minute walk to coffee shops, bars and restaurants, 18 minute walk to the national opera, other cinemas, theatres, etc. and all of that 5 minutes by bike with good bike paths leading there. 10 minutes by bike to farmer's market, market hall, train station. I wouldn't want to live otherwise. I'm happily carless. I budgeted using car sharing twice a week but it's more like twice a month -- if that much.
Old 11-03-23, 10:24 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Dockhead
Zoning restrictions trying to keep non-residential uses out of residential areas are long gone, as far as I know -- an obsolete 1950's idea. That being said, in single family housing suburban areas the distances resulting from spreading people out that much still kill the 15 minute city idea.

European cities are pretty much all 15 minute cities and always have been. I live at the moment in Tallinn, Estonia, 5 minute walk to groceries and barber shop, 15 minute walk to a really good shopping center with cinema etc., 2 minute walk to coffee shops, bars and restaurants, 18 minute walk to the national opera, other cinemas, theatres, etc. and all of that 5 minutes by bike with good bike paths leading there. 10 minutes by bike to farmer's market, market hall, train station. I wouldn't want to live otherwise. I'm happily carless. I budgeted using car sharing twice a week but it's more like twice a month -- if that much.
Zoning restrictions trying to keep non-residential uses out of residential areas are long gone”

Are you saying those type of zoning restrictions no longer exist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.