Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Waterford going under?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Waterford going under?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 08:10 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Waterford going under?

https://bikepacking.com/news/waterfo...FBxN1bD5ZW2nNQ
Old 05-10-23, 08:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I just read of this a few hours ago on a different forum. At least one poster was annoyed that he wasn't given the chance to have one more project done by them.

Sorry but one of the reasons why some of us have run a business is to be able to control what we do when. I applaud Richard and the staff in the work they have done and wish them much success min their next phase of life. Andy
Old 05-11-23, 08:09 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Not really so much as going under as much as retiring.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-12-23, 07:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Not really so much as going under as much as retiring.

This! When I decided to close down my shop (Bike One, in Cleveland) I only announced it after I had my ducks in a good row and I knew what the steps would be. It was very interesting to have so many customers and fellow merchants coming to me with their condolences to my "going under", while inside I was excited to move on. People tend to think that ending a business is never a positive choice. In the 15 years I ran the shop I never had a loss, although never made much $ either Andy
Old 05-12-23, 09:55 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
It will be interesting to see where the employees spin off to. Being retired is a good thing.
Old 06-13-23, 08:12 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
I am just curious where customers will go for their Paramount restorations and so on.
Old 06-13-23, 10:56 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Sell

Why can't he sell the business, don't any workers in his shop want it !!??

Last edited by rossiny; 06-14-23 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 07:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by rossiny
Why can't he sell the business, font any workers in his shop want it !!??
My understanding id that Richard has tried to pass the business along to another and had a possible buyer, but it didn't pan out. How about you buying it? Andy
Old 06-14-23, 09:25 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My understanding id that Richard has tried to pass the business along to another and had a possible buyer, but it didn't pan out. How about you buying it? Andy
I do real estate rentals and remodeling. I love bikes and touring , but not sure if I am the one to take it over. That being said, I'm always looking for a bargain. There was a local bike shop here in SE Wisconsin, and the owner just wasn't passionate about it, and he sold the building to another business. It seemed like he just wanted to close it, instead of selling to continue the business, 40 years plus . His manager moved to another bike shop in Washington state. He basically damaged his own business for some reason and had huge signs up , closeout and sold off stock. I had offered a fair amount, but he sold for more $ to another business. Turned out he had a lot of repairs that cost bucks before sold. So he ruined the reputation and sold similiar price. People do what they want. Personally, i think a brand like Waterford, should have been sold, but we are all brainwashed that you cant compete with China. Lets face it most large manufacturers are building there.

Last edited by rossiny; 06-14-23 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 08:06 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
I got my grenade green touch up paint from Mr. Schwinn last week.
I’ve got a big chip on my Crosshairs top tube.

Glad I had the opportunity to get a Gunnar. It’s quite nice.

shown in fenderless Summer mode