Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Litespeed failure

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Litespeed failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 01:58 PM
pah

Bikes: 84 Colnago Super, early 70's cinelli supercorsa pista, Cyclops Pista, specialized team stumpjumper, Klein Quantum II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Litespeed failure

My wife had a back injury but has recovered greatly to a point where she has started riding again. We went to set up her beloved litspeed catalyst and found the downtube has cracked. Can this be repaired? we attempted to make a warranty claim but it was denied of course. I did a quick internet search and this appears to be a common failure area for them. Hard to believe a 5'2" 120lb cyclist can break an aerospace material frame!

Old 12-27-23, 02:21 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Did your wife have a collision or crash with this bike? I can't imagine the force of the impact that could cause that damage. As for titanium frame repair, I have no experience or even an informed opinion, but I am curious as to what year this Catalyst frame was built. If you don't know the year, can you provide photos of the frame showing decals? Regardless, I'm glad your wife is recovering and I wish safe rides for you both.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 12-27-23, 02:37 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
If you're the original owner, warranty that bad boy, otherwise, buy something else. It's your wife and it already broke once. No repair would ever be suitable in my mind when it came to a loved one. IE where's it gonna break NEXT?
Old 12-27-23, 02:37 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
"Titanium is incompatible with fluorides, strong reducing acids, very strong caustic solutions, and anhydrous chlorine." So any cleaner with chlorine should not be used. That being said it looks like that crack propagated from the weld at the headtube, see the black spot in the last photo.

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 12-27-23 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-27-23, 02:41 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Weld impurity. Warranty it.
Old 12-27-23, 02:45 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Did you make the claim with Litespeed and they denied it? Take a picture of the black spot and try again.
Old 12-27-23, 02:47 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Send a note off to Steve and see what he thinks.
https://www.stevepottsbicycles.com/
Old 12-27-23, 02:51 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
It may just be more expedient to contact Jack Trumbull of Franklin Custom Cycles near Newark, OH. I'm pretty sure he repairs titanium frames and he does build them. His phone is 740-763-3838.
Old 12-27-23, 02:54 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Bilenky cycle works in Philadelphia does titanium repair, though it might cost more than the frame is worth. Send him the pics and see what he says.
Old 12-27-23, 03:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
If you're the original owner, warranty that bad boy, otherwise, buy something else. It's your wife and it already broke once. No repair would ever be suitable in my mind when it came to a loved one. IE where's it gonna break NEXT?
A fair question.
Is it even possible to weld up that sort of crack? Or would you weld a plate over the top? I have no idea, but did witness some patches to aircraft skin when I was working as an avionics tech in the Marines.

My impression is that it started at the weld, which does suggest that it could be related to workmanship and therefore covered by warranty. I'm hoping that someone here has been through this sort of issue and can provide guidance or insight.

Looking at the silver lining of this gray titanium cloud, at least it's a gradual failure and no one ended up suddenly face down on the pavement!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-27-23, 03:13 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Also noticed the crud under and rear of the fork crown. What's it consist of?
Some states in the Winter use calcium chloride. Chloride comes from chlorine. Riding in that environment and into early Spring, putting the bike away without cleaning can cause long term issues. Titanium isn't 'all cracked up to be'.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 12-27-23, 03:21 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I have a Litespeed Tuscany. I hope all models aren't prone to this type failure. Hopefully they will determine what caused this.
Old 12-27-23, 03:22 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Litespeed has a bit of a reputation for denying what appear to be valid warranty claims. Me, I'd make one more attempt at a warranty claim (assuming you or she bought the bike new). No idea whether it would likely help or hurt to mention this thread.

If they still refuse the claim, if it were my bike and the components were in good shape, I'd consider finding a replacement frame in steel, aluminum, or carbon (or titanium; lightning is unlikely to strike twice).

Or keep an eye on Craigslist for the next few months for a high-quality, little-used replacement. Prices on older bikes have mostly taken a nose-dive since their COVID highs.

Can't tell what size it is from the photo, but here's a (currently outrageously overpriced) Ritchey in steel, for example.

Ritchey Road Logic - Size 51 - Ultegra Build - $1,500 (Ann Arbor)

Somewhat less overpriced, here's what looks like an immaculate Cannondale cyclocross bike in 48 cm.

Cannondale EN14781 Road Bike - $750 (Ann Arbor)

Old 12-27-23, 03:25 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Most builders won't work on this sort of failure because that tube is welded to 4 others.

No, you can't fix the tube.

No, chemicals didn't cause this.

Old 12-27-23, 03:26 PM
pah

Bikes: 84 Colnago Super, early 70's cinelli supercorsa pista, Cyclops Pista, specialized team stumpjumper, Klein Quantum II

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Did your wife have a collision or crash with this bike? I can't imagine the force of the impact that could cause that damage. As for titanium frame repair, I have no experience or even an informed opinion, but I am curious as to what year this Catalyst frame was built. If you don't know the year, can you provide photos of the frame showing decals? Regardless, I'm glad your wife is recovering and I wish safe rides for you both.
We are guessing mid to late 90's . In The mean time we have modified her Gary Fisher Hoo koo e koo with road tires and a very upright stem witch is working....

Old 12-27-23, 03:28 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by pah
We are guessing mid to late 90's . In The mean time we have modified her Gary Fisher Hoo koo e koo with road tires and a very upright stem witch is working....
Used bike, so no frame warranty.. It was worth a shot, though.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-27-23 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-27-23, 03:29 PM
pah

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Litespeed has a bit of a reputation for denying what appear to be valid warranty claims. Me, I'd make one more attempt at a warranty claim (assuming you or she bought the bike new). No idea whether it would likely help or hurt to mention this thread.

If they still refuse the claim, if it were my bike and the components were in good shape, I'd consider finding a replacement frame in steel, aluminum, or carbon (or titanium; lightning is unlikely to strike twice).

Or keep an eye on Craigslist for the next few months for a high-quality, little-used replacement. Prices on older bikes have mostly taken a nose-dive since their COVID highs.

Can't tell what size it is from the photo, but here's a (currently outrageously overpriced) Ritchey in steel, for example.

Ritchey Road Logic - Size 51 - Ultegra Build - $1,500 (Ann Arbor)

Somewhat less overpriced, here's what looks like an immaculate Cannondale cyclocross bike in 48 cm.

Cannondale EN14781 Road Bike - $750 (Ann Arbor)

it is 48 cm c-c. we modified her gary fisher mountain bike with road tires and very upright stem in the mean time......
Likes For pah:
Old 12-27-23, 03:31 PM
pah

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Also noticed the crud under and rear of the fork crown. What's it consist of?
Some states in the Winter use calcium chloride. Chloride comes from chlorine. Riding in that environment and into early Spring, putting the bike away without cleaning can cause long term issues. Titanium isn't 'all cracked up to be'.
worms and other mungus I should have been more diligent in removing.....
Old 12-27-23, 03:35 PM
pah

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
no crashes, aluminum fork should have taken all that damage if it happened in my opinion. she was a very strong rider but not enough to break titanium! 48 cm c-c frame.
Likes For pah:
Old 12-27-23, 03:42 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by pah
no crashes, aluminum fork should have taken all that damage if it happened in my opinion. she was a very strong rider but not enough to break titanium! 48 cm c-c frame.
I don't think this has anything to do with rider strength/weight, as this is more likely related to fatigue cycles. "Every Litespeed frameset has a useful life cycle. This useful life cycle is not the same as the warranty period. This warranty is not meant to suggest or imply that the frame cannot be broken or will last forever. Bicycles and/or frames will not last forever. " Nothing lasts forever, and getting 25+ years of use out of this frame seems like quite a respectable service life to me anyways.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 12-27-23, 03:45 PM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
pah, what's the raspberry at the top side of the downtube in the photo? Looks like a rub/irritation from something hard enough to mar titanium. The crack is gnarly, but my eyes keep going back to that scab. Was that on there when you bought the frame?
Old 12-27-23, 04:06 PM
pah

Originally Posted by purpurite
pah, what's the raspberry at the top side of the downtube in the photo? Looks like a rub/irritation from something hard enough to mar titanium. The crack is gnarly, but my eyes keep going back to that scab. Was that on there when you bought the frame?
frame was purchased brand new from Alan's bicycles in Willmingon Delaware in mid to late 90's. He does not have receipt and neighter do we of course. going to go look at frame again to see what you are looking at. yeah, the frame is old but I have a 84 Colnago that hasn't cracked and I know it was crashed hard more than once!
Old 12-27-23, 04:09 PM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
Yeah. titanium shouldn't just randomly crack like that. Either it was a factory weld defect, or something vibrated/impacted/deteriorated the structure since it was last ridden.

Was the bike racked or transported on a frame-held car rack in its life? I can't figure what would cause this hickey...

Last edited by purpurite; 12-28-23 at 08:48 AM.
Likes For purpurite:
Old 12-27-23, 04:18 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Beautiful frame. If your wife loves it, just buy another one. Its a buyers market.

There is a LOT of corrosion on the adjacent aluminum parts. I believe that if this frame was cut open, we would also see corrosion inside the tube from not being able to drain gunky water, while being hung up by the rear wheel. Titanium hates that.

(educated guess)
Old 12-27-23, 04:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I had a denied Trek titanium warranty claim. I knew it was a lost cause so I moved on. In your case, maybe a Habenero. They have some of their older Team Issue Novo frames on sale for about a grand. As that's an older design, you could probably walk some parts over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.