Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'F D' markings on TA crank; threading?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 10:46 PM
MightyTour 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Picked up some NOS TA double cranks in a lot a while back. Trying to figure out pedal threading without forcing anything too hard. Standard 9/16" pedals didn't want to go in. Reverse of DS crank is just '170' which, in the absence of a 'W' denoting English threads, suggests that it's French, correct? The NDS reverse markings are weirder: 'F D 170'.

Anyone got an idea?

Old 01-14-24, 03:48 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Hmmm...

French for RIGHT is Droite but on NDS side a D makes no sense. For LEFT it's Gauche so the F is still a mystery to me.

I'll dig out my '70's era pair of Atom pedals after b'fast, see how they're stamped. The Stronglight 49D crankset they came with also.
Old 01-14-24, 04:25 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
French for RIGHT is Droite but on NDS side a D makes no sense. For LEFT it's Gauche so the F is still a mystery to me.

I'll dig out my '70's era pair of Atom pedals after b'fast, see how they're stamped. The Stronglight 49D crankset they came with also.
Right-hand thread in French is filetage ŕ droite
Or "FD" for short.

I'll bet what you have is a right-front crank for a crossover tandem.

Can you tell right threads from left by looking? It is possible, but hard to explain in a forum post. Apologies if that's an insultingly basic question for you! No insult intended, we all started there.
Old 01-14-24, 06:57 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Right-hand thread in French is filetage ŕ droite
Or "FD" for short.

I'll bet what you have is a right-front crank for a crossover tandem.

Originally Posted by bulgie
Can you tell right threads from left by looking? It is possible, but hard to explain in a forum post. Apologies if that's an insultingly basic question for you! No insult intended, we all started there.
Think of threads as a ramp as you peer at one open side of the bore.

Right-hand thread drops from left to right, the beginning thread open to the left. Left-hand thread's opposite, open first thread starts from the right, drops from right to left.

(Maybe not so hard to explain but sometimes hard to discern depending on lighting and your eyes.)

I've never encountered a tandem or parts appropriate to one so Bulgie's suggestion I think is spot on. And yes, we all start knowing nothing at all.
Old 01-14-24, 07:39 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I have a TA crank marked FD and indeed it is a tandem right crank.

The opposite is also true, a tandem left crank will be marked with a G at the very least. I've had left tandem cranks that are marked with up to three Gs of different sizes and an F, and I've had some that are just marked G and left at that, no F. Why? Who knows. Probably different years of manufacture. TA has been in business a long time.

I know it is possible to tap out a French threaded crank to 9/26x20 English pedal threads. I've never had the occasion to do this operation, but I have heard it is fairly straightforward and even could be considered easy. I assume this is because the English thread tap can start and self-align on the French threads, which it almost fits into. I am fairly certain that tapping out a French right side tandem crank for left hand English threads would be harder, and might result in misalignment of the tap and resultant threads.
Old 01-14-24, 07:51 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by scarlson
I am fairly certain that tapping out a French right side tandem crank for left hand English threads would be harder, and might result in misalignment of the tap and resultant threads.
100% agree with that, and why I'd approach such a task firmly committed to use of a drill press (or other appropriate fixture) to ensure proper alignment.
Old 01-14-24, 09:41 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
100% agree with that, and why I'd approach such a task firmly committed to use of a drill press (or other appropriate fixture) to ensure proper alignment.
Don't bother - or at least don't try to tap right-hand in a left-hand hole (or v.v.) of the same diameter.
There will not be enough thread remaining to hold the pedal.
Use an insert-type repair kit instead.
Old 01-14-24, 11:52 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Don't bother - or at least don't try to tap right-hand in a left-hand hole (or v.v.) of the same diameter.
There will not be enough thread remaining to hold the pedal.
Use an insert-type repair kit instead.
I've always had bad luck with any of the repair inserts. I would rather use two right hand pedals.

(for the grumpy old men: before you claim "omg it will come unscrewed and you will die", go ponder the left side wheel bearings on your car that goes 65mph daily)
Old 01-14-24, 01:15 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I've always had bad luck with any of the repair inserts. I would rather use two right hand pedals.
For any decent pair you'll have the pickup-tab and the strap guides in the front.

What you need for that attempt is two right-hand axles (i.e. a re-built left pedal with a right axle)
Old 01-14-24, 03:04 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

I have known at least 2 or 3 people who rode bikes with wrong-threaded pedals (left thread on the right, or the converse). They all had problems with loosening; two peole I remember riding with a pedal wrench to tighten mid-ride. I doubt they tried green loctite, but then you'd need heat to disassemble.
Old 01-14-24, 05:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Remember Jobst Brandt's solution to the pedal threading problem? He investigated using a conical seat in the crank and a tapered collar attached to or machined into the pedal shaft. Like this:

This is similar to modern cars' conical seat lug nuts/bolts, now used instead of the reverse-threaded-on-one-side flat shouldered lug nuts once used. He reported wrongward-threaded pedals staying put during the course of his tests.
Old 01-14-24, 11:32 PM
MightyTour 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys! I should be able to figure out the pedal threading visually as you mentioned.

So, what you're suggesting is that I have a normal, DS French threaded crank with rings, and then (seemingly randomly) a right side stoker crankarm as its mis-matched pair?
Old 01-15-24, 03:31 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by MightyTour
Thanks guys! I should be able to figure out the pedal threading visually as you mentioned.

So, what you're suggesting is that I have a normal, DS French threaded crank with rings, and then (seemingly randomly) a right side stoker crankarm as its mis-matched pair?
Yes, that or it is mis-marked. Finding out the "handedness" of the crank will settle the issue.
Old 01-15-24, 05:06 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by scarlson
Remember Jobst Brandt's solution to the pedal threading problem? He investigated using a conical seat in the crank and a tapered collar attached to or machined into the pedal shaft. Like this:
I do, and it wasn't exactly that issue he was concerned with - it was cranks cracking, said cracks initiated by fretting at the flat interface between the pedal shaft and the face of the crank.
The fretting is caused by the pedal moving ever so slightly - with a flat face there is only friction to limit that; the conical surface prevents it.

It's all on rec.bicycles.tech somewhere.
Old 01-15-24, 08:17 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by oneclick
I do, and it wasn't exactly that issue he was concerned with - it was cranks cracking, said cracks initiated by fretting at the flat interface between the pedal shaft and the face of the crank.
The fretting is caused by the pedal moving ever so slightly - with a flat face there is only friction to limit that; the conical surface prevents it.

It's all on rec.bicycles.tech somewhere.
Yes, I remember. I omitted that from my post because it didn't seem pertinent to the discussion in this particular thread. But it is another good point in favor of the conical seat.

It is a wonder manufacturers haven't picked this up. In the past decade, they have eschewed just about every other old standard that allowed us to build old bikes with modern components. Why not pedals too? Think, they could be split between true conical seat and "ball seat", just like lug nuts are today. You'd have to buy new cranks just to buy new pedals half the time. And now since the cranks are integrated with the bottom bracket, you'd have to buy that as well. The bean counters and execs would be thrilled at the cash they'd be able to milk out of the public.