Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2008 Madone

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2008 Madone

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 02:23 PM
roasterrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Madone

Hey,

Anybody know what the deal is with the new Madone that some of the Team Discovery riders have been on? I heard many of the guys won't ride it because the frame wasn't designed to work with an SRM? Is that True?

The guy at my local shop told me that Trek has moved much if not all of its high-end carbon bike production to the Giant bicycle factory in Asia. I guess all high-end bikes used to be made in their main Wisconsin factory, but they've moved all the production to Asia? What's up with that? Now that Lance is gone, they go and ship production off to another--and not too well respected--bike company? The bike sure looks like a Giant.

Does anyone know if the new Madone is any good? I love my old one. Well, it's a 2005 bike, so it's not too old.

Check out UF-BRO https://veloz.vox.com
Old 05-25-07, 03:02 PM
raptor3x

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roasterrider
Hey,

Anybody know what the deal is with the new Madone that some of the Team Discovery riders have been on? I heard many of the guys won't ride it because the frame wasn't designed to work with an SRM? Is that True?

The guy at my local shop told me that Trek has moved much if not all of its high-end carbon bike production to the Giant bicycle factory in Asia. I guess all high-end bikes used to be made in their main Wisconsin factory, but they've moved all the production to Asia? What's up with that? Now that Lance is gone, they go and ship production off to another--and not too well respected--bike company? The bike sure looks like a Giant.

Does anyone know if the new Madone is any good? I love my old one. Well, it's a 2005 bike, so it's not too old.

Check out UF-BRO https://veloz.vox.com
That's one of the most pathetic photoshop jobs I've ever seen. I'm not even going to get into the "not too well respected" snipe.
Old 05-25-07, 03:06 PM
alanfleisig
NYC Maggie Backstedt fan

Bikes: Trek road and hybrid bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whatever else it is, the "Trek" on that web page is not the new Madone. Check out the batwing on the seat-tube. That was gone never to return last year.
Old 05-25-07, 03:09 PM
KenHuffman
Roadie, Tandem & Commuter

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.2 T, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem, 2013 Trek 7.4 TX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy at my local shop told me that Trek has moved much if not all of its high-end carbon bike production to the Giant bicycle factory in Asia. I guess all high-end bikes used to be made in their main Wisconsin factory, but they've moved all the production to Asia? What's up with that?
The bikes made of "TCT Carbon" are made in Taiwan. The Madones are still made in the US.
Old 05-28-07, 08:21 AM
roasterrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Madone Pt II

Not sure if those images are a photoshop job or not, but here's another link to something about the bike.

https://bp2.blogger.com/_VMBXGqBOWsE/...prototypes.jpg
Old 06-05-07, 10:39 AM
fzrdave
Happiest on 2 Wheels

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Trek 5200, Bianchi Volpe, Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And here is the new Madone: https://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...s/12366.0.html.

It looks pretty cool! It might be time to finally trade in the old 5200.
Old 06-05-07, 12:36 PM
Kris Flatlander

Bikes: Cannondale Super Six 1, Cannondale F29er 1, Cannondale XTJ, Guru Pista, Lemond Limoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's up with all the noobs in this thread anyways? Seems like an ultra-high concentration for some reason.
Old 06-05-07, 02:10 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Hey,

What's up with that? Now that Lance is gone, they go and ship production off to another--and not too well respected--bike company? The bike sure looks like a Giant.
Ok, I'll feed the Troll. Giant makes more CF bikes than anyone in the world, and has been making CF bikes as long or longer than anyone currently making CF bikes.

T Mobile is sufficiently satisfied with their TCR Team Advanced that T Mobile extended their deal with Giant through 2010.

Colnago is sufficently satisfied with Giant, that Gaint now builds certain Colnagos.

Giant has an excellent reputation for reliabilty . My LBS is a long time Giant dealer, and formerly a Trek dealer. They have had many warranty claims on Trek CF bikes but have never had a single warranty claim on a Giant CF frame.

The Giant name may not have the same cache as some other brands. However that simply means that you can buy a Giant for a grand less than a comparable Colnago.
Old 06-05-07, 02:10 PM
bailcash09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a thread on the new madone a few days ago. It looks more like an Orbea Orca, not a Giant TCR. check out trek website here. The thread is here. It has some good pictures.
Old 01-14-08, 10:41 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a 4.5 Madone. It is made in Taiwan. The high end Madones are still made in the US.
Old 01-14-08, 10:53 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone already said it. Trek OCLV is made in Wisconsin. Trek did take a step in the direction of a lot of new fads with it's new madone series. Including 1 1/2 inch lower bearing fork, integrated bottom bracket, and ISP. I have not ridden a bike with all of these new features but such large headtubes, and integrated seattubes really seem to be solving non-existent problems.

On the other hand it's what the market is demanding in high end bikes, and I'm not buying high end bikes, so my word doesn't mean much.

Your lbs should hang out with the one that said R3s are prone to failure.
Old 01-14-08, 11:24 AM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
Someone already said it. Trek OCLV is made in Wisconsin. Trek did take a step in the direction of a lot of new fads with it's new madone series. Including 1 1/2 inch lower bearing fork, integrated bottom bracket, and ISP. I have not ridden a bike with all of these new features but such large headtubes, and integrated seattubes really seem to be solving non-existent problems.

On the other hand it's what the market is demanding in high end bikes, and I'm not buying high end bikes, so my word doesn't mean much.

Your lbs should hang out with the one that said R3s are prone to failure.
If you haven't ridden one of the bikes with the aforementioned features, then shut your hole.

The seatmast is a weight issue and dampens shock a little better than an aluminum tube under your taint.
The oversized lower bearing increases stiffness in the front end. The bike tracks straighter, turns better and just feels more stable.

As for the integrated BB, the jury is still out on that one.

I'm a Trek hater, but please don't venture opinions unless you've actually ridden what you are pontificating on.
Old 01-14-08, 11:36 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I HAVE ridden bikes with some or all of the features of the new Madone. I have to say that they ARE rather gimicky. I have never noticed a problem with quality components of the old dimensions. I mean, how much do you have to WEIGH to get flex from a conventionally-sized bottom headtube bearing -- so much that your bike doesn't track straight?! YIKES! If I ever get THAT heavy, I'll be on life support somewhere and they'll be shopping for piano crates to bury me in!
Old 01-14-08, 11:36 AM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KenHuffman
The bikes made of "TCT Carbon" are made in Taiwan. The Madones are still made in the US.
Correct with one exception. The "4" series Madones have TCT Carbon Frames made in Taiwan. The "5" Series Madones and above are OCLV carbon made in Trek's Wisconsin plant by hand.