Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK, back to this Speedplay thing again

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 01:52 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just can't decide between the Zero and Light Action pedals

I do like the idea of adjustable float... I don't know if I need a full 15 degrees. Maybe I don't need any.
So the adjustibility almost sways me to the Zero

Except I heard that the Zero is harder to click in and click out of (hence the Light Action pedal)
What is "harder", exactly. I mean, how hard is hard.

I'm used to SPDs, which aren't tightened down very much -just enough- and they still take a pretty good "kick out" with the heel to get out of.

So is this a concern? What would I be more used to?
Old 04-03-08, 03:13 PM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key for Speedplays is to follow the writtn directions when mounting the cleats. If you tighten the screws that hold the cleats too tight, they can be stiff on the release. As with many cleats, the specific motion that best releases the cleat will vary slightly. However, I've never had any problem releasing my feet from the pedals with Speedplays.
Old 04-03-08, 03:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
I will give you the race weenie answer...Light Action is for wussy.

I ride SPD SL but many of my buddies ride Speedplays. Do not over analyze this. I think the light action is marketing designed to get reluctant recreational cyclists to try clipless. I would ask your LBS, who buys Light Action pedals or who is the target market?
Old 04-03-08, 03:37 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I will give you the race weenie answer...Light Action is for wussy.

I ride SPD SL but many of my buddies ride Speedplays. Do not over analyze this. I think the light action is marketing designed to get reluctant recreational cyclists to try clipless. I would ask your LBS, who buys Light Action pedals or who is the target market?
+1

When I first went to clipless, Look style, many years ago, I wanted the release on the pedals set as light as possible. However, I quickly wished for the security of a tighter tension. Now I pretty much ride them as tight as they can go (Look Keos). I'm more wary of pulling out of a pedal on a sprint than not clipping out and falling over. Clipping out is second nature.
Old 04-03-08, 05:50 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used zeroes for a year and a half. I think they are perfect. Hermes is completely correct.
Old 04-03-08, 06:57 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to X2 from eggbeaters. I went to the LBS to look at the Light Action and they talked me out of it. They are definitely intended for newbies curious about clipless. My LBS guy said that they steer newbies toward adjustable tension SPD type, so they really don't sell many Light Actions - unless they come in specifically looking for them.

Since I had been riding clipless for 3 years, the LBS guy talked me out of it. He said that my best choices would be the X series or the Zero's. I don't race but I put in 5000 to 7000 miles a year and I sometimes push hard.

I haven't found the X2 to be hard to enter and exit. In fact, I find them easier than the eggbeaters. As someone else said follow the installation instructions: get the 4 screws snug, then turn a quarter of a turn. Dip in blue locktite, to make sure they don't come loose. (They come pre-dipped for first time installation.)

I absolutely love the float! The non centering, free float sensation is liberating. The zero's are basically the same except that you can control the float. I didn't go with that because I didn't want to go anal about the adjustment - something I would definitely have done.
Old 04-04-08, 05:49 AM
mrosen51

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay vs Look Keo vs SPD

Hi all:
I am going thru the exact same things that you are all speaking about ... I originally have used the SPD clips for 5+ years and last year went to the Keo's. I really dont like the Keo and was looking to go to the Speedplay Zero or X/1. I do like the play and float of the Keo but have a hard time in getting clipped back into the cleat ... the angle at rest faces back at me and requires thought and careful movement to get in on the correct side of the pedal and I often end up trying to clip into the wrong side. That part makes me crazy when trying to take off from a stop light and I have "almost" fallen over multiple times. I am looking to go to the Speedplay as there is no Top or Bottom and can be clipped into either side. I think that I will go for the zero due to the adjustability and limiting of the float if I want it. Please note that I am also a Clydesdale ... 6'4" and 270 lb. My local bike shop owner just attended a conference where she learned to do the speedplay adjusments and says that it takes about an hour plus to get them set up properly. Looking forward to doing it very soon.
Michael
Old 04-04-08, 06:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by mrosen51
Hi all:
My local bike shop owner just attended a conference where she learned to do the speedplay adjusments and says that it takes about an hour plus to get them set up properly. Michael
An hour for the bikeshop to set up a pedal / cleat system? If this is true, I'd avoid Speedplays.
Old 04-04-08, 06:42 AM
mrosen51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay adjustments

I understand what you are saying ... but I dream about a more efficient stroke and transfer of maximum power to the pedals and also to accomodate my bad knees for the most efficient riding positions ... maybe I am dreaming ... but hopeful that this will add to my efficiency, ride comfort, and power transfer?!
Old 04-04-08, 06:47 AM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It takes an hour to set them up if they're charging you by the hour. It took me five minutes.
Old 04-04-08, 08:01 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I do like the play and float of the Keo but have a hard time in getting clipped back into the cleat ... the angle at rest faces back at me and requires thought and careful movement to get in on the correct side of the pedal and I often end up trying to clip into the wrong side. That part makes me crazy when trying to take off from a stop light and I have "almost" fallen over multiple times. I am looking to go to the Speedplay as there is no Top or Bottom and can be clipped into either side.
Michael
This may be a case of overthinking. The click in motion on Look pedals is very simple and quickly becomes something you can do with no thought at all. The only way it can be difficult is if you are trying to do it the wrong way. Done the right way it is quick, simple and error free. The lack of a second side is not an issue.

Gravity holds the unladen pedal in the correct position for clipping in easily. The front loop will always point up. Simply slide your foot forward so the front of the cleat catches that loop and rotates the pedal to horizontal. Then add weight to the pedal and the rear will click right in.

I'm not arguing the Look vs. Speedplay point. Both are good pedals. But if you already have Looks, I would suggest just learning the right way to step into the pedal.
Old 04-04-08, 08:25 AM
mrosen51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply ... but I know how to do it properly and it works 7 to 8 times out of 10 but sometimes it just dosent as the angle of the resting position is not vertical by back by about 20 degrees off of vertical towards the rear ... if they would stay vertical then it would be easier for me. I guess that I am just a bit of a "****"?!? I have been using them for 8 months now and have gotten better of course but still not perfect.
Old 04-04-08, 08:27 AM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I switched from SPD to X speedplays. Much easier on the legs. It doesn't take long to set up. Just takes time to read the directions. All you need to do is make sure the cleat platform doesn't flex, and they include a ton of shims to solve the problem for you. Then just screw in 7 screws/shoe. The only catch is to make sure you put a good glob of blue locktight on the 4 bottom screws, so they don't come off when riding. Speedplay support is great. If you do lose screws, they will
send you new ones.

As far as unclipping, there's just a tad more twist needed, because of that flow. But if you adjusted to SPD's from non clipless, you can easily make this adjustment. It may take about 3 times, and you've got it.

I don't know what the advantage would be to dial in float. With the speedplays, it just feels natural instead of being locked into a track position.
Old 04-04-08, 08:33 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the reply ... but I know how to do it properly and it works 7 to 8 times out of 10 but sometimes it just dosent as the angle of the resting position is not vertical by back by about 20 degrees off of vertical towards the rear ... if they would stay vertical then it would be easier for me. I guess that I am just a bit of a "****"?!? I have been using them for 8 months now and have gotten better of course but still not perfect.
Understood. I still think it will improve to 99 out of 100 over time , but do what you think you need to do.
Old 04-04-08, 08:53 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bebop's : lighter and cheaper than Speedplay's similar cleat system. Lot's of knee freindly float.
Old 04-04-08, 09:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Whichever pedal and cleat system you get, get a Kool Cover for walking around. This is especially true for Speedplay where the mechanism is in the cleat. https://www.koolkovers.us/
Old 04-04-08, 10:36 AM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Speedplays. Have used Zeros for 5yrs. , Frogs on my mountain bike as long. Efficient, EASY to learn (just practice), "no-look" clip in, pedal always in the right position to clip in. Agree with Hermes on the cleat cover, eliminate the chance you damage the cleat and / or slip.
Old 04-04-08, 07:12 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know about kool cover, I just went to LBS and got some X cleat covers. About the same price, so I'd rather support LBS
Old 04-05-08, 06:12 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the speed play Xs for about six weeks and really like them. they have helped my knees a lot. I really like the float. I bought from bike shop and they placed on the shoe in no time flat. I did have to make a slight lateral adjustment on one shoe to a different position because of some knee discomfort.

Getting out takes a bit of getting used to but it is more mental than physical, but in no time I feel comfortable with this.

The covers for the speedplays here are called "coffee cans", and they are great for walking on dirt roads and slide on and off nicely. No problem walking with the coffee cans on.

Billy
Old 04-05-08, 11:25 AM
campykestral

Bikes: Schwinn, Kestrel, Guerciotti, Ross ,50th anniv. Paramount ( 2 )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been on speedplay pedals for more than 12 years, first pair was second hand, chrome plated spindles, solid alum. pedal pad, cleats were huge , they were great ! in compairson to everything else, made my knees very happy, and the newer ones just keep getting better !
Old 04-05-08, 05:05 PM
ad6mj

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Bebop's : lighter and cheaper than Speedplay's similar cleat system. Lot's of knee freindly float.
Similar but better cleat. MUCH more durable.
Old 04-07-08, 10:47 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: OK, it was a real bear but I pulled off the M520s I had on the Giant and put my trusty ol' A520s on. I have ordered a pair of Speedplay Zeros. We'll see where this all ends up
Old 04-07-08, 02:37 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little more than "slight" but go for it
Old 04-08-08, 04:09 AM
chlywhly
dEaDtOtHeCoRe=o)

Bikes: debernardi road / specialized epic mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my bad

i took the intrusion out please continue on.

peace b.
Old 04-08-08, 08:30 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chlywhly
i took the intrusion out please continue on.

peace b.
You didn't have to do that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.