Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hex Wrench End Stuck in Bolt

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 10:02 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was using a hex wrench with a ball end like this

to try to remove a steerer clamp bolt on a Thomson Elite stem.

The ball part of the wrench snapped off and is now stuck in the head of the bolt, and I can't get it out.

I can't grab it with a needlenose, because the broken piece is flush with the top of the bolt. There's nothing to grab. I tried drilling into the piece of wrench in the hopes of pulling it out once a bit was in it, but the bit won't drill into the tough steel.

Any advice?

Old 04-24-08, 10:13 PM
veganboyjosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
someone in another thread regarding another issue suggested that aluminum expands more than steel when heated, and pouring boiling water over the part was the remedy in that case.

what's the bolt made of?
Old 04-24-08, 10:25 PM
Ray Dockrey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there enough room to take a dremel tool and cut a slot across the bolt? Then you could take a screwdriver and back it out.
Old 04-24-08, 10:28 PM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try using a small drift punch [perhaps 3/32"] and tap the broken piece of allen wrench on its edge from different angles. This should 'un-wedge' it and it will fall out. Be careful not to hit the hex area of the bolt itself. If you swage the hex hole you might permanently lock the broken piece in requiring more extreme methods of removal.

Just for future reference . . . the 'ball' end of those allen wrenches are not for high torque [as you discovered]. Loosen the bolt with the non-ball end first . . . then use the ball end for quick removal.
Old 04-24-08, 10:31 PM
Miguelangel

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganboyjosh
someone in another thread regarding another issue suggested that aluminum expands more than steel when heated, and pouring boiling water over the part was the remedy in that case.

what's the bolt made of?
+1, Also a strong industrial heater, or boiling oilve oil could heat it up..I say olive oil cause it needs a lower temperature 2 boil...
Old 04-24-08, 10:34 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Now you know why ball ends should only be used to start a bolt. Never to remove or to torque one down.
Old 04-24-08, 10:44 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very strong magnet?

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 04-24-08, 10:47 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I feel a bit stupid, because I know I shouldn't have been using a ball-end wrench, but the correct hex was out in my garage, and I was a bit too lazy to just go up and get it.

Lesson learned.

As suggested, I did try tapping various sides with a punch and could pop one side up at a time, but never enough for it to come out or even have enough to grab with a needlenose.

Also, I can't cut a slot across the bolt with a dremel, because the bolt is recessed in the stem too far.

Perhaps I'll give the heat expansion method a try.

Old 04-24-08, 10:50 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wethepeople
Very strong magnet?
That was one of my first thoughts, but I didn't have a magnet strong enough. And by now, I've got the piece wedged in there tight enough that I don't think it would work.

Another thought I had was somehow gluing something to the broken ball and just pulling it out. Is there any type of glue that sets quickly and bonds well to steel?

Old 04-24-08, 10:54 PM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek

As suggested, I did try tapping various sides with a punch and could pop one side up at a time, but never enough for it to come out or even have enough to grab with a needlenose.

Also, I can't cut a slot across the bolt with a dremel, because the bolt is recessed in the stem too far.

Perhaps I'll give the heat expansion method a try.
P the G,

The 'heat' method is only effective on metals with different expansion rates: e.g. aluminum and steel. The broken allen wrench and the bolt are both steel.

If you have a dremel tool you should be able to take a pointed carbide cutter and work it gently around the hex cavity in the bolt head . . . tapering it [bell-mouthing it]. eventually you will have enlarged it enough to let the broken wrench piece fall out.

There should be enough of the original socket in the bolt to use a standard allen wrench in it and remove the bolt. Replace the bolt with a new one.
Old 04-24-08, 11:05 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwood
P the G,

The 'heat' method is only effective on metals with different expansion rates: e.g. aluminum and steel. The broken allen wrench and the bolt are both steel.

If you have a dremel tool you should be able to take a pointed carbide cutter and work it gently around the hex cavity in the bolt head . . . tapering it [bell-mouthing it]. eventually you will have enlarged it enough to let the broken wrench piece fall out.

There should be enough of the original socket in the bolt to use a standard allen wrench in it and remove the bolt. Replace the bolt with a new one.
Thanks, dwood, for saving me some wasted time with the heat method. I'll give the carbide cutter a go tomorrow, but is there much danger of damaging the hex cavity enough that I will no longer be able to use a hex wrench to remove the bolt?

Old 04-25-08, 08:39 AM
mikejavo
Commuter

Bikes: Jamis Coda Comp, Kona Killuaea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Dremel method may even vibrate it loose. Good luck.
Old 04-25-08, 08:44 AM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
Thanks, dwood, for saving me some wasted time with the heat method. I'll give the carbide cutter a go tomorrow, but is there much danger of damaging the hex cavity enough that I will no longer be able to use a hex wrench to remove the bolt?
P the G,

I suspect that the broken piece of allen wrench is trapped in the socket head screw by a slight amount of burring near the top of the screw. If you use a carbide rotary burr carefully around just the top of the screw . . . there will be plenty of depth for an allen wrench to remove the bolt.

BTW, the suggestions for using heat would apply if you were trying to remove a stuck steel bolt from an aluminum part. But I don't think you'll need to resort to that. Just use a proper allen wrench.

Keep us posted with your progress!
Old 04-25-08, 09:56 AM
JPMacG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The type of glue to try is super glue, aka model airplane glue, aka cyanoacrylate (sp?). Use the thinnest stuff you can find, as that is the strongest. It can be purchased at model aircraft hobby stores. It has a short shelf life (around 6 months), so get fresh stuff, not what has been laying around in your toolbox for 5 years.

I acutally doubt it will work for you, but it is worth a try. I have removed parts using this glue in the past but those parts had a large gluing surfaces. Use the glue very sparingly, just put the smallest possible drop on the broken ball driver. I've seen machinists use super glue to hold down a part that is being milled. The glue can be tremendously strong, but the surfaces have to fit together perfectly to get strength.

Superglue can be removed with acetone.
Old 04-25-08, 11:50 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
When you had the amount of torque on it that was able to bust it off like that you very likely twisted the ball end around in hex and deformed the hex enough that the ball is now sitting partially in its own pocket.

Knowing my superglues from model building I can tell you that for this use it ain't all that super and it is not going to hold well enough to get out past the deformations in the hex you produced.

I think you're stuck with dwood's suggestion to carefully grind away the upper part of the ball and open up the mouth of the socket in the screw until the last part of the ball can fall out. Then hopefully there is enough of the hex left to get a proper allen wrench in there and take out the bolt so you can replace it. If the hex is damaged enough that you can't do this then the right size EZ-Out may work or you can then drill out the head of the bolt.

It'll be a fussy bit of work and likely use up more than one of the little grinding stones that fits in there. The hardened allen ball will not allow you to use any cutting burrs so stick with the grinding points.

A hard lesson to learn isn't it.....
Old 04-25-08, 01:55 PM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
It'll be a fussy bit of work and likely use up more than one of the little grinding stones that fits in there. The hardened allen ball will not allow you to use any cutting burrs so stick with the grinding points. A hard lesson to learn isn't it.....
Small grinding stones will take forever . . . and many of them. A single 1/8" tungsten carbide burr with a point, mounted in a die grinder [or Dremel type tool] will do the work in about 1 minute. The piece of broken allen wrench will definitely come out.
Old 04-25-08, 03:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Get a very small drill bit and use your drill or dremmel to drill into the center of the stuck piece. If you slow your drill down as you're doing it, it will likely actually get stuck into the little piece. Pull it out with that. That would be my first choice.

Second choice, if that doesn't work, is to do the same, but after you get the tiny hole drilled, put a drop of super glue in it, put the drill bit back in, and let it set.
Old 04-25-08, 04:30 PM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
Get a very small drill bit and use your drill or dremmel to drill into the center of the stuck piece. If you slow your drill down as you're doing it, it will likely actually get stuck into the little piece. Pull it out with that. That would be my first choice.

Second choice, if that doesn't work, is to do the same, but after you get the tiny hole drilled, put a drop of super glue in it, put the drill bit back in, and let it set.
You can't drill hardened steel like that, it just doesn't work. The bit will just slip off the end of the ball/bolt and likely cause damage to the OP's stem.
Old 04-25-08, 04:33 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turn it upside down and spray the hex ball with Freezing spray. Maybe it will fall out. Then again, maybe not.
Old 04-25-08, 04:42 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless it's in a blind hole, I would just drill the bolt out from the other side. There's a good chance the bit will stick, and screw the little bugger out.
Old 04-25-08, 05:09 PM
BCRider

A carbide bit may work but from what I saw with the small carbide drills I've used it is more likely to shatter. The looseness of the ball rattling around will make that almost a certainty I would think. Carbide bits are extremely hard but they are also extremly brittle.

I've got a couple of true carbide burrs I use but I only use them on fiberglass where the normal HSS burrs wear out quickly.

I think you'll also find that on hardened steel like the ball end that the grinding bits cut quite fast.
Old 04-25-08, 05:20 PM
facial
Junkmaster

Bikes: Lemond '05 Alpe d'Huez, Rebuilt in 2020

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A steel-on-steel hammer blow, with hollow space for the ball head to fall out, might work with some oil. Hammers can produce very strong shock waves in steel - just don't put your finger in the way. This simple method was inspired by the fact that yesterday I had an mechanical pencil's eraser stuck in a pen cap. I tried fumbling with sophisticated ways, e.g., blowing on the end of the cap, but it turned out that a few dozen taps with the index finger is sufficient to nudge it loose.

But if you can't isolate the bolt itself, then it's no use hammering from the side as that will make the problem worse.
Old 04-25-08, 05:20 PM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
A carbide bit may work but from what I saw with the small carbide drills I've used it is more likely to shatter. The looseness of the ball rattling around will make that almost a certainty I would think. Carbide bits are extremely hard but they are also extremly brittle.

I've got a couple of true carbide burrs I use but I only use them on fiberglass where the normal HSS burrs wear out quickly.

I think you'll also find that on hardened steel like the ball end that the grinding bits cut quite fast.
I agree . . . do not try to use a carbide drill bit. Use a carbide "burr" in a die grinder or other very high-speed tool [Dremel, e.g.]. The burr is available at Home Depot and other hardware stores.

The problem isn't that the bolt is too tight to remove. If the op had used the allen wrench properly this thread would not be necessary. Any attempt to drill out the allen bolt from the opposite end is silly and without the proper drill guide . . . very likely the drill will wander off the C/L and mess up the aluminum riser.

I've been fixing stuff like this in my machine shop for over 30 years, although I must admit not this exact problem. I assure you . . . with a die grinder and carbide burr . . . 60 seconds and you are done.
Old 04-25-08, 05:41 PM
relyt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bolt is likely a standard type of metric bolt. You might want to drill an EZ-out into the ball/bolt and remove the whole thing, sacrificing the bolt. Then go to the hardware store and pay 60 cents for a new bolt.
Old 04-25-08, 07:50 PM
BCRider

Originally Posted by relyt
The bolt is likely a standard type of metric bolt. You might want to drill an EZ-out into the ball/bolt and remove the whole thing, sacrificing the bolt. Then go to the hardware store and pay 60 cents for a new bolt.
He tried drilling the ball already. Wore out the bit. Dem ball ends are HARD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.