Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I need new shoes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I need new shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 06:56 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I need new shoes

So I rode my bike to see a race last friday, and since I figured I would do a little walking, I'd wear my MTB style shoes since they are made to walk in, and the cleat is somewhat protected by the sole. So off I go, the race is only about a mile away so I didn't even break a sweat getting there. I go to unclip and my right foot doesn't want to let go of the pedal, it felt kind of mushy. I figured that the cleat was loose, again. The left pops off fine, and I manage to get the right off by twisting my leg half way around the wrong way. I sit down to see if the cleat is loose, it isn't. Half the sole is off the shoe, with a crack running length wise. The shoe is toast. I've had them awhile, so I can't complain.
Now is time for new shoes, and Father's Day is comming up.
I'm looking for shoe reccomendations, the shoe has to be SPD compatable, stiff on the bike, but not too uncomfortable to walk in. I would wear them when I ride to the store, of if I going to ride where I know I'll stop for a bakery.
Of course price is a factor.
Tell me what you have, and what you like and don't like using the above criteria. Until then, I'll use my road shoes and walk like a duck.
Old 05-28-08, 07:07 AM
Script

Bikes: Seven (brand, not number....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have speedplays on one bike and just put the covers over the clip ons to walk. It's kinda walking with the ball of your foot but it beats the standard heel walk. (also makes you taller!)
Have MTB clips on the other bike with SIDI shoes and they work fine although I'm considering switching to speedplays on that bike since I find them more comfortable on my rickety knees.
Old 05-28-08, 07:30 AM
brewer45

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Giant FCR2, Surly LHT, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got about 2k miles on a pair of entry-level Specialized MTB shoes. They've been great. Based other discussions, the Sidi Dominator will probably be my next shoe. Kinda pricey, but they are very well reviewed and reported to be extremely durable.

On a completely anecdotal note, I counted up shoes at the last club ride. Of about 20 riders, half were wearing some version of Sidi.

Cheers!
2007 Giant FCR2W (stoker's commuter)
1980's NOS Legnano (stoker's toy)
1970's Stella rebuilt as fixed-gear (captain's toy)
Old 05-28-08, 08:19 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi Zetas for my speedplays. They are very comfortable and have an added heal cushing for walking. I just slap on the speedplay covers and can walk very comfortably on pavement or dirt roads. Don't know what the sole is compatible with. I have a very wide foot and the regular is just fine for me. They have an extra wide model for really huge feet.

Billy
Old 05-28-08, 08:43 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Shimano 020/021 or 038/040/041 series of shoes are laced on (the latter with 1 velcro lace cover), SPD compatable sport MTB shoes and have walking/hiking soles without large cleat blocks for climbing in Mud.