Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Buying vintage or buying new?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 02:51 PM
muskie4817

Bikes: Raleigh Technium Pre, Diamondback DRB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying vintage or buying new?

I am new to this forum and am looking at getting back into bicycling. I used to own a Raleigh Technium back in the 80's but got rid of it. I have found a 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre (black w/white and red) and really liked the look. I have had people tell me to not get a bike that old because you can't find parts and the shifters are on the down tube. I have been told to find a bike that has the new shifters integrated into the brakes but it seems they are so expensive. Should I buy the old bike ($200) or look for a new entry level bike (ie. Dawes, Vilano, Mercier, etc)? I can only spend about $300 at the most. I live in Columbus, Oh and the CL ads seem to only have Schwinns or vintage in that price area. HELP

Here is the link to the Raleigh...https://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/2463077601.html

Last edited by muskie4817; 07-04-11 at 02:54 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 07-04-11, 06:01 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Wrong forum to debate buying new versus vintage, and that whole bikesdirect what do you think of them discussion. Google bikesdirect, lots of comments on either side of them.

This is the classic and vintage forum, guess what we like to recommend? But its really up to you. What do you want? If you want a modern bike, with integrated shifters, then a vintage bike could be a poor choice for you (I have integrated shifters on my regular vintage rides, but that was a fairly expensive upgrade). Note, the ones you mentioned above, at the $300 price, are all either stem shifters or downtube shifters. So if you want to go that route, you will need a bigger budget. They start showing up on the various internet branded bikes at about $400 +/-.

As a comparison, road bikes at your local bike shop start around $800. Market price for a good, used, bike shop branded bike, with modern STI shifting is about $350 and up. The better the parts, the higher the price goes.

I am not having trouble finding parts for vintage bikes. I have about 50 vintage bikes right now, and have had a couple of hundred more in the last several years. Today I was working on a mid 1980s Raleigh for a friend. Used the regular parts I use on just about every bike I work on.

The harder you look, and the more educated you become, the better deals you will find.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-05-11 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-04-11, 09:47 PM
muskie4817

Bikes: Raleigh Technium Pre, Diamondback DRB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am still trying to figure out which forum to go to for information. Do you have any opinion on the Raleigh Technium that I am looking at? I really like the style and look of this bike.
Old 07-04-11, 10:29 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The Technium is apparently gone. The link doesn't work.

I had a Technium and it was a very nice bike. Wish I still had it, but it had to go to make room.

Search this forum and you'll find lots of information. Is this going to be a daily rider, sounds like it. That might make a difference depending upon how many miles you intend to put on it.

Some vintage bikes are fun to tinker with and fun to ride casually, but not really practical to use as a daily rider. Like Bill said, I have updated some of my regular rides to STI. I wait until I find deals on STI brifters, etc. and then convert. I have a Schwinn Tempo (awesome bike) that is going to be getting a new wheelset and 8 speed STI shifters pretty soon. I'm using wheels and cassette off of a Specialized Allez Steel bike that I bought in new condition. I found NOS 8 speed brifters for $75.00 and the downtube cable stops, cables, new housing, etc. put me back about $30.00. So for not too much dough, I'll have a great daily rider that will keep up with most anything you can buy for $800 or less.

Don't underestimate the '80s Schwinns. A lot of them are very light and very nice riders.

Feel free to run any deals by us. We're happy to give an opinion. Be aware that we all have our individual likes and dislikes and aren't shy about expressing them!

Good luck!