Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Just got a new bike today.... and it's supposed to rain for my commute tomorrow :(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Just got a new bike today.... and it's supposed to rain for my commute tomorrow :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 10:18 PM
whosmatt

Bikes: Windsor Clockwork, Nashbar Steel Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not that a little rain is something to complain much about, but I live in San Diego, so we're spoiled.

So I've been riding a Bianchi Bergamo for about 6 years now, off and on, but for the last 2 years or so I've been making part of my commute on my bike regularly. I stripped it down, removing the rack and fenders and added a flat bar and the narrowest tires that I could get on the rims, but I've been wanting a road bike for a while and told myself that after I finished building a boat (which I did, thanks) I'd treat myself to a proper road bike, something steel (the aluminum hurts me) and "classic" looking, for lack of a better way to put it. I had eyes on a Surly Pacer, but the more I thought about it, and analyzed how I ride, I thought a single speed might be a better fit for me. My commute is short, the bike part of it anyway. Most of it involves a train. I ride about 4 miles from the train station to work. There is a bus that I can take, but the bike ride along the same route is roughly the same time as the bus, and I found a slightly longer route with more hills and less traffic to get the blood flowing a little more.

Anyway, the Bianchi needs some TLC after daily riding for a few years, and I really wanted a road bike but just don't have the coin to drop on a more expensive one, so I ordered a Windsor Clockwork from wherever those things come from. You know what I'm talking about. 56cm in black, as that's what they have right now and it seemed like it would fit (I'm 5'10" or 11" not quite sure). It arrived today and I put it together in pretty short order. It's not rocket surgery, at least not for a single speed. The brakes needed quite a bit of adjusting (the front brakes weren't installed at all), and the stock pedals aren't fit for even a test ride by anybody, so I ran out and got some powergrip pedals, which I've been using for a few years and have gotten used to. I've only taken it around the neighborhood, but I'm impressed. It feels good, fast, and nowhere near as harsh. I guess that's the steel. Plus, it kind of looks good. I was hoping to be able to remove decals, but it doesn't look like I can do that.

Here's a pic.. sorry, it's dark in my house.

Haven't posted here in years, but I'm excited and had to tell somebody...

-M
Old 02-19-13, 11:16 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
It looks nice and clean.
Enjoy your ride and the little rain.
Old 02-20-13, 10:40 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
As long as you're not a wicked witch, a little rain won't hurt you! Hahaha, rocket surgery. I'm stealing that!
Old 02-20-13, 12:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Out where it rains, we add mudguards, and wear rain gear.

... now you need a really good Lock, to keep it.

Windsor* used to be Mexican Brand, back when the Olympics were in Mexico City.

Merckx Hour was on a bike painted with the Windsor name on it at the time,
[for the lower air resistance at the altitude there]

.. for the sponsorship money. Ugo DeRosa actually made the bike .
since then it has been repainted with Eddy's company Logo.

*Windsor? isnt that a made up name of the Saxe Coburg dynasty
that is actually low German on the British Throne, now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_o...burg_and_Gotha

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-20-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 12:27 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like a good candidate for your short commute. I assume you use a backpack or something.

If you are 5'10ish and that is a 56cm frame, it seems like you have a lot of seat post showing. Can you comfortably ride it like that?
Old 02-20-13, 12:32 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Keep your old bike as a bad weather bike and use it tomorrow!
Old 02-20-13, 12:37 PM
whosmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcap
That looks like a good candidate for your short commute. I assume you use a backpack or something.

If you are 5'10ish and that is a 56cm frame, it seems like you have a lot of seat post showing. Can you comfortably ride it like that?
Yep. Long legs I guess. My knee is slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I might go down a hair but not much. Also I think the angle of the photo makes it look a little taller.
Old 02-22-13, 05:53 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good thing, now after that commute it will be all nice and dirty and you wont have to worry about the dirt anymore.

z
Old 02-22-13, 11:43 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
It's a tool, not a jewel. Have fun.
Old 02-23-13, 12:00 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome new ride !!

Your bicycle life will be so much more uncomplicated and happy if you ditch the rain fear. Tape a little piece of cardboard under the seat so your backside doesnt get wet and have at it. Rain is good. Its cleansing. Embrace it
Old 02-23-13, 07:10 PM
whosmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
Awesome new ride !!

Your bicycle life will be so much more uncomplicated and happy if you ditch the rain fear. Tape a little piece of cardboard under the seat so your backside doesnt get wet and have at it. Rain is good. Its cleansing. Embrace it
I didn't end up riding in the rain... I took the 2nd train out instead of the first, and by then the rain had ended and it was nice and sunny... and windy.

I'm loving the bike so far; I have zero complaints. It's comfortable, soaks up the bumps, does what it's supposed to do, and looks nice doing it. I guess we'll see how it holds up, but I'm pretty stoked with it. The single speed is of course forcing me to ride differently... no more sitting down while climbing the hills but it does force me to move a little faster in spots, and slower in others. If I have one complaint about it it's that I can't build up as much speed descending as I can with a geared bike.. but I'm not racing, just enjoying a little peaceful time and getting some exercise.

EDIT: I was never worried about getting the bike dirty... It's me that I was worried about.. Since my commute is so short, I just ride in my work clothes and didn't want to show up soaked.
Old 02-23-13, 07:19 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whosmatt
The single speed is of course forcing me to ride differently... no more sitting down while climbing the hills but it does force me to move a little faster in spots, and slower in others. If I have one complaint about it it's that I can't build up as much speed descending as I can with a geared bike.. but I'm not racing, just enjoying a little peaceful time and getting some exercise.

EDIT: I was never worried about getting the bike dirty... It's me that I was worried about.. Since my commute is so short, I just ride in my work clothes and didn't want to show up soaked.

Single speed riding does take a little mental adjustment, and not being able to get above 20 or so can be frustrating at first, but Ive gotten used to it and the other stuff like total silence, simplicity, ease of maintenance etc, make it more desirable for me by far. I could do a SA 2 or 3 speed hub bike, but I dont think Id ever go back to deraillures(sp) for a daily beater bike. Ditto what you said about clothes getting wet. After my friday sleet ride, I bought fenders for my bike. Dont mind being wet for the ride home, but the ride in and having to work damp, is most undesirable !

Have fun, Be safe !
Old 02-23-13, 08:12 PM
whosmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
Single speed riding does take a little mental adjustment, and not being able to get above 20 or so can be frustrating at first, but Ive gotten used to it and the other stuff like total silence, simplicity, ease of maintenance etc, make it more desirable for me by far. I could do a SA 2 or 3 speed hub bike, but I dont think Id ever go back to deraillures(sp) for a daily beater bike. Ditto what you said about clothes getting wet. After my friday sleet ride, I bought fenders for my bike. Dont mind being wet for the ride home, but the ride in and having to work damp, is most undesirable !

Have fun, Be safe !
Wow, sleet, huh? It did hail on me (and my bike) on the way to the train station that morning, hard enough that it started to build up on the road and the windshield, but I wasn't riding... haven't gotten as far as riding to the train from home yet, though it may be coming.. I'm looking for ways to get more riding time out of my commute but I already leave early enough as it is. I did find out that I can more than double my bike ride at the end of the day by leaving work a bit earlier and riding south to the second station down the line and catching the train there. I suppose I could do it in the morning too, but then I'd be into the territory of bringing a change of clothes, carrying a bigger backpack, etc.

I agree about the benefits of single speed... I really do love the silence and the simplicity. Make sure the tires have enough pressure and just go. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll try it fixed as well.

Matt
Old 02-23-13, 08:34 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Be prepared for the weather and ride, it builds character.
Old 02-23-13, 08:47 PM
whosmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
Be prepared for the weather and ride, it builds character.
Haha. It's San Diego. Weather? What weather?

Seriously, I do understand. But the only rain gear I own is for fishing; think Deadliest Catch. My brother is trying to get me to move to Seattle where he lives.. maybe then. Usually the worst thing to worry about here is a touch of frost, and how to wipe my nose while I ride without dirtying my sleeves (I use my gloves). It's a cyclist's dream, to be honest. I have nothing to complain about. I do have to ride against the wind on both legs of my commute, though. Stupid ocean