Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode a Steel Road Bike for the First Time

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 11:49 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I borrowed a road bike for a person who is coming to visit me. It is a Trek 420 Fast Track; which is an all steel bike.

I had never ridden a steel road bike before and I needed to check it out anyway so I put a few miles on it this afternoon. It has frame mounted shifters which took some getting used to. But, other than that it performed pretty well compared to my carbon bike. The carbon one is much smoother and much more comfortable on chip coat and other rough roads than the steel bike. But, the steel bike feels better than the aluminum ones I have ridden.

It isn't objectionably heavy and gave me no trouble on hills, which surprised me. I expected it to be a heavy beast. But, such was not the case. it is a few pounds heavier than my carbon bike but not so much it becomes a performance problem, at least in the way I use a bike.

Summary: Carbon in my experience is the smoothest and most comfortable. But this steel bike as an unexpected star. I can only guess how a more modern bike would be. When it comes time for another road bike steel is going to be on my acceptable list.
Old 08-25-10, 11:59 PM
RU55EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of these days I'm going to have to try a carbon frame bicycle. I bought a Masi steel frame in 1988 and have never had a desire to replace it. Your post has me a little curious though.
Old 08-26-10, 04:06 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 420 is a pretty old frame - early 80's I believe, touring frame, butt welded.
Not sure of the steel used but I would have thought it was around 5 lbs heavier than you CF bike - maybe 22 to 23 lbs.
As for ride, if should be very different, not as responsive but very stable. DOn't know what you are riding in CF but I would have thought the Trek would provide a softer ride as I think it should be a longer wheelbase. With all that said, if you are getting interested in Steel - look at more modern tubing, there is a big different in bith weight and ride. One example, my early 90's Simincini is Columbus XLS tubing and weights in at only 2lbs heavier than my Tarmac (per my bathroom scale). The latest steel frames can narrow that gap by another lb. There is a big difference in steels. The new steels also provide a better ride than the older steels.

Personally I am a steel bike snob, I own AL, steel and CF. On a century my steel bike is my weapon of choice. However on a fast club ride or climbing and when I want to stay up with the young bucks I'll choose CF. AL is my commuter - it can take abuse. I find my steel bike gives a better long term ride, however my Tarmac and my Simincini are different geometrys with different wheels, tires, bars & seat. Unless all were the same it is impossible to really make a fair assessment.
Old 08-26-10, 04:09 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I consider myself lucky in that I have steel, carbon, aluminum, titanium, and steel/carbon mix bikes. I like them all or I wouldn't own 'em. I've also ridden all of the listed materials in bikes that I really didn't care for. To me, material is important, but not as important as design and build.
Old 08-26-10, 04:25 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I consider myself lucky in that I have steel, carbon, aluminum, titanium, and steel/carbon mix bikes. I like them all or I wouldn't own 'em. I've also ridden all of the listed materials in bikes that I really didn't care for. To me, material is important, but not as important as design and build.
+1
Old 08-26-10, 05:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
+2

Pretty much echoes both Sheldon's and Jobst Brandt's thoughts, as I recall. However, I would love to try a CF, and my LBS wants me to get a custom built Ti.

So many choices, so little time and $$.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-26-10 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 07:08 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts
I ride vintage steel exclusively, but I concur that there are good and bad bikes in any given frame material.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-26-10, 07:12 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
You never rode a steel road bike? When did you start riding?
Old 08-26-10, 07:14 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a little surprised to see someone post in this particular section that they just rode a steel bike for the first time.

Seriously, though, I've always enjoyed steel. The only bad steel experience I ever had was with one particular bike - my first true racing bike back in the mid '80s. I've always been a Clyde and this Gitane had a habit of flexing a little bit side-to-side when I'd get out of the saddle to climb. The problem manifested itself in unexpected upshifts, something I rarely welcomed during those times. But I had ridden plenty of other steel frames that didn't have that problem, so I assume it was an issue limited to that particular frame.
Old 08-26-10, 08:02 AM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once upon a time I had a Centurion Turbo, Man I miss that Bike! Riding an AL Trek 1500 now days, It rides pretty nice for AL but that steel Centurion was sweet!
Old 08-26-10, 08:08 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
You never rode a steel road bike? When did you start riding?
I haven't either and started about two years ago. Well I did ride when I was in high school and earlier but that was 40 years ago. Wait I did ride a steel mtb in the early 80's for a short time while I was married, a Ross, still have it too but never ride it.( I think it was/is steel)
Old 08-26-10, 08:53 AM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
The 420 is a pretty old frame - early 80's I believe, touring frame, butt welded.
...and not what I'd call a high end one either. You owe it to yourself to try a really good handmade frame, if only for a frame of reference. Something like a DeRosa, Sachs, Serotta, etc (or even a top-line steel Trek) would be a REAL eye-opener.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 08-26-10, 09:02 AM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other night, I had the opportunity to ride a top of the line 1983 steel Colnago with Campy Record groupo and silk tires. It is a single owner bike in perfect condition - climbing onto it felt like entering some kind of time machine.

The bike had zero flex that I could tell. The ride can only be described as elegant. My alu/carbon combo is twitchy by comparison. I think I could have fallen asleep on the Colnago it was so smooth and stable. It was a fun experience, but I was terrified of putting a scratch in it.
Old 08-26-10, 09:04 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek 420 Fast Track was made in the mid 90s. It certainly isn't an example of a high end steel frame.
Old 08-26-10, 10:34 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
The Trek 420 Fast Track was made in the mid 90s. It certainly isn't an example of a high end steel frame.
+1
A decent bike. Not crap by any means, but probably not a good comparison to whatever CF bike the OP is riding.
Old 08-26-10, 10:36 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
93 and I got a high end steel bike for the time. Admittedly Mountain but a Kona Explosif. Still gives a good ride today but I also have a mid range Steel bike in the wifes GT talera from the same time. Give me High end steel frames over mid range anytime. And in comparison to the low end stuff- Chalk and cheese does not come into it.

Then onto early aluminium frames. Heavier than steel- Rock solid and took some controlling.

But you have to choose the frame material That suits you. I do have a good CF frame in the Giant TCR-C But I have a better frame in the high end Aluminium Boreas. Better for me that is.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-26-10, 10:37 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by bobbycorno
...and not what I'd call a high end one either. You owe it to yourself to try a really good handmade frame, if only for a frame of reference. Something like a DeRosa, Sachs, Serotta, etc (or even a top-line steel Trek) would be a REAL eye-opener.

SP
Bend, OR
...or even a high quality Japanese production bike like a Bridgestone RB-1.
Old 08-26-10, 11:17 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
...or even a high quality Japanese production bike like a Bridgestone RB-1.
Sorry for the short hijack, but BD, have you decided what you're going to do about Ribby?
Old 08-26-10, 12:12 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 1bluetrek
Once upon a time I had a Centurion Turbo, Man I miss that Bike! Riding an AL Trek 1500 now days, It rides pretty nice for AL but that steel Centurion was sweet!
I still have a '79 Centurion Super Elite, it rode nice then, it still rides nice now. They made nice bikes. And nothing is as pretty as a lugged frame!
PS. If you ever get to NJ, give me a shout, I'll let you take it for a ride.
Old 08-26-10, 01:03 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I stopped at a Sunflower grocery today while riding my 1999 Lemond B A Reynolds 853 steel.

Out of the blue, this very fit looking young man (about 40-45) comes up to me and says "That is a wonderful bike. I used to lead tours in Europe and rode all over Europe on my Lemond just like that one. I know Greg Lemond, and that is simply the sweetest riding bike ever."

This is not the first time I have had folks remark about my bike, including folks at 2 different LBS's - about what a great bike it is. Made me feel good!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-26-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 01:08 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Sorry for the short hijack, but BD, have you decided what you're going to do about Ribby?
Not yet. Waiting to see how things develop on many fronts.
Old 08-26-10, 01:30 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Not yet. Waiting to see how things develop on many fronts.
Old 08-26-10, 01:30 PM
Steve Katzman
Cat 6

Bikes: Scott CR-1, Serotta Legend, Serotta CR, Co-Motion Speedster tandem, Masi Nuevo Strada fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
...With all that said, if you are getting interested in Steel - look at more modern tubing, there is a big different in bith weight and ride...
Interesting that so many people believe that. I agree about the newer lightweight steels being lighter than the older ones - no argument there.

Perhaps some of you may remember, several years back a now defunct magazine, I think it was called Road Bike Review (not sure - memory fading - this is the over 50 group?) did an interesting comparison test of steel road bike frames. They took about 6 or 8 frames, ranging from the cheapest low quality steel tubing to the state of the art hand built frames with the best tubing available and painted them all with identical paint and outfitted them all with the same componentry so that it would be difficult to tell them apart. They let their reviewers ride them all and pick out their favorites based on ride quality, handling, etc.

You would think that these professional reviewers, being so savvy, would have unanimously chosen the top one or two models as being the best riding steel frame. Not so! The favorites came out all over the range, many admitting that they couldn't tell the difference. So much for the belief that better tubing or better construction made for a better riding experience.

I own several "snob appeal" bikes myself, like Masi and Serotta steel, Serotta Ti, custom Al Simonetti, Co-Motion steel tandem and Carbon Scott CR1. While I would like to think that my steel frames are superior riding machines to run of the mill mass produced Trek 420's and the like, I can't really be sure if I would be able to tell them apart in a blind test. Probably not. Fortunately (?) they are not all painted the same and I can take pride in their construction details and enjoy riding all of them. In conclusion I believe that when we buy ourselves an expensive bike we have the urge to justify the additional cost to ourselves (and maybe others) by somehow sensing superior performance, be it real or not. I call that the placebo effect.
Old 08-26-10, 01:54 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find that there's a significant number of riders who only appreciate steel frames after they've bought their carbon fiber bike. I think it has something to do with just having a state-of-the-art bike. The fact you've got the cf now makes you comfortable enough to ride the steel. My current ride is a steel Rodriguez fixie (True Temper OX Platinum), which I ride all the time. My carbon fiber Trek has zero kilometers on it all year (but this may change in a couple of weeks).

I find a good steel frame is just more "lively" than cf. I love the way the steel frame vibrates on bumpy roads. Carbon fiber is light and stiff, but it feels "dead" after a while. A steel frame is just so much more interesting to ride, even with carbon forks, handlebars, and seatpost.

But if you currently own a steel frame and don't yet have a cf, get the cf just so you can say you've got one. Then you will be OK with riding steel. You may even develop a preference for it.

Luis
Old 08-26-10, 02:05 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Katzman
Perhaps some of you may remember, several years back a now defunct magazine, I think it was called Road Bike Review (not sure - memory fading - this is the over 50 group?) did an interesting comparison test of steel road bike frames...
I agree completely with this perceptive and informative post. I have always maintained that bicycle road tests are total hogwash. They are far too subjective, and too much of the performance is dependent on the engine. You can take your existing road bike, and move the brake levers up or down about a half-inch, and I guarantee it will feel completely different. You want your existing bike to just jump out of the turns like a rocket? Just replace the chain and rear cassette and put more air in the tires.

The one time I could tell any difference in handling was when I got my first carbon fiber Trek, and it wasn't the frame material. Previously, I had used fashionable Italian frames built for the North American criterium market (Masi). When I tried the Trek, it could corner like it was on rails by comparison, but this was only because it had a slightly longer top tube.

Luis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.