Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Spoke Length Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 02:04 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,069 Posts

I've reused spokes before, but that was just swapping rims. This time, the rims (32 hole Open Pros) are basically new (no wear on the brake tracks), but I recently noticed that I have a crack on my rear hub's flange. The hub is a 16 year old King. I also happen to have an unused Ultegra 6700 hubset sitting in my bin. I am considering swapping the old hubs for the new. The diameter of the new hubs' flanges(48.5mm front, 53.9 rear) are a little smaller than the old (50mm front and 56.8mm rear according to my calipers).

I don't have a lot of $$ to put into this. Could I reuse the spokes on the new hubs? In other words, are the differences in the hub flanges close enough to reuse the old spokes (which are basically new)?

For what it's worth, it is a 32 hole 3 x pattern. Wheelsmith spokes, brass nipples, Open Pros....
Old 02-24-13, 02:08 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You will probably be ok for the front, but the rear may be a little long.
Old 02-24-13, 02:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5807 Post(s)
Liked 2,628 Times in 1,459 Posts
Go to any spoke calculator program to confirm. You don't need an exact rim diameter (just something close like 605mm). Same with CTF ditance,, jut eyeball it or use something typical like 36/19 for the rear and 35mm fro the front.

You're not looking for an exact spoke length so the errors won't matter, as long as you use the same data everyplace except for flange diameter,where you'll enter the original hubs and the new hubs and note the change in calculated spoke size.

I expect that there'll be only a slight change, since the spokes (3x) are nearly tangent, and the effect of a small flange diameter will be small. But it helps to confirm which is why I'm having you run the numbers.

If there is a change, the impact depends on high in the nipples currently reach. For instance if the spoke should be 1mm shorter, but your spokes currently don't reach the tops of the nipples, you'll be fine. OTOH if the spokes are already reaching reaching the tops of the nipples, you have limited room for the spoke coming up higher on the new built.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-24-13, 04:49 PM
furballi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
I've reused spokes before, but that was just swapping rims. This time, the rims (32 hole Open Pros) are basically new (no wear on the brake tracks), but I recently noticed that I have a crack on my rear hub's flange. The hub is a 16 year old King. I also happen to have an unused Ultegra 6700 hubset sitting in my bin. I am considering swapping the old hubs for the new. The diameter of the new hubs' flanges(48.5mm front, 53.9 rear) are a little smaller than the old (50mm front and 56.8mm rear according to my calipers).

I don't have a lot of $$ to put into this. Could I reuse the spokes on the new hubs? In other words, are the differences in the hub flanges close enough to reuse the old spokes (which are basically new)?

For what it's worth, it is a 32 hole 3 x pattern. Wheelsmith spokes, brass nipples, Open Pros....
You're good to go!
Old 02-24-13, 05:33 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
…OTOH if the spokes are already reaching reaching the tops of the nipples, you have limited room for the spoke coming up higher on the new built.
Good advice, but I might add that to ensure that the spokes won't be too long, you might do well to add a brass spoke washer under the head of each spoke as recommended by Gerd Schraner, it makes sense and guarantees a nice tight build (i.e. the spokes end up being nice and snug!) Here's a picture: HTH -
Good luck -
- Wil