Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Varia Disconnecting/Reconnecting

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 09:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I've been using the original Varia (RTL500) since roughly 2016, it was getting close to end of life with limited battery life. But the reason I replaced it was that it was dropping connection with my Edge 1040s, and it always chimes when it drops connection and when it reconnects, and that was getting so annoyingly frequent. The thing that has me scratching my head, my other sensors were disconnecting and reconnecting too, like heart rate monitor, power meter, and SRAM eTap. During a training ride, I'd lose my power sensor and my training block power numbers would be impacted, that was getting old fast! Last week I took my March Madness office pool winnings (that was blind luck) to get a new Varia RTL515, and on my first few rides, I'm not seeing any sensors dropping; I've yet to hit the very densely populated areas, like Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis ... that was always the worst place for connection issues, while riding in rural areas was rarely an issue.

The question to any electronic wizards: can one sensor disconnecting/reconnecting cause other sensors to lose connection? This seems like it shouldn't happen, but my experience is making it seem like this was the issue. When my schedule allows, I'll share an update after I ride into the city and test that these high signal areas aren't causing any issues.
Follow up questions, does an ANT+ communications 'chip' (?) degrade with age, I'd guess it does, but I have older sensors, like a speed sensor, that are still working fine.

For reference, my old RTL500 on the left and new RTL515 on the right:

Old 04-22-24, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,839 Times in 3,336 Posts
Did you ever update the software on the RTL500? It might just be that newer versions of the software on your GPS device are not able to to maintain the connection properly if the Varia hasn't ever been updated to what ever the last update version was for it.

version 3.40 of the Varia software had ANT+ improvements to it. And there are minor ANT+ fixes in later versions.
Old 04-22-24, 01:05 PM
Pearson100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
I have the newer RTL515 and it often disconnects/reconnects. I haven't been able to find a "pattern" of when this occurs. (I don't have any other senors so can't address your question regarding that issue).
Likes For Pearson100:
Old 04-23-24, 06:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you ever update the software on the RTL500? It might just be that newer versions of the software on your GPS device are not able to to maintain the connection properly if the Varia hasn't ever been updated to what ever the last update version was for it.

version 3.40 of the Varia software had ANT+ improvements to it. And there are minor ANT+ fixes in later versions.
Garmin let me know that the old RTL500 is no longer supported. I still checked from time-to-time to see if there was any new updates, but no luck.
Old 04-24-24, 01:09 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,920 Times in 3,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearson100
I have the newer RTL515 and it often disconnects/reconnects. I haven't been able to find a "pattern" of when this occurs. (I don't have any other senors so can't address your question regarding that issue).
Mine occasionally does this too. It only happens momentarily and doesn’t appear to affect other sensor connections. I just get the disconnection warning and then it reconnects straight away.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-25-24, 09:27 AM
denis_987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Mine occasionally does this too. It only happens momentarily and doesn’t appear to affect other sensor connections. I just get the disconnection warning and then it reconnects straight away.
My Varia RVR315 (radar only/no light) does the same ... no apparent reason
Likes For denis_987:
Old 04-26-24, 01:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,466 Times in 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've been using the original Varia (RTL500) since roughly 2016, it was getting close to end of life with limited battery life. But the reason I replaced it was that it was dropping connection with my Edge 1040s, and it always chimes when it drops connection and when it reconnects, and that was getting so annoyingly frequent. The thing that has me scratching my head, my other sensors were disconnecting and reconnecting too, like heart rate monitor, power meter, and SRAM eTap. During a training ride, I'd lose my power sensor and my training block power numbers would be impacted, that was getting old fast! Last week I took my March Madness office pool winnings (that was blind luck) to get a new Varia RTL515, and on my first few rides, I'm not seeing any sensors dropping; I've yet to hit the very densely populated areas, like Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis ... that was always the worst place for connection issues, while riding in rural areas was rarely an issue.

The question to any electronic wizards: can one sensor disconnecting/reconnecting cause other sensors to lose connection? This seems like it shouldn't happen, but my experience is making it seem like this was the issue. When my schedule allows, I'll share an update after I ride into the city and test that these high signal areas aren't causing any issues.
Follow up questions, does an ANT+ communications 'chip' (?) degrade with age, I'd guess it does, but I have older sensors, like a speed sensor, that are still working fine.

For reference, my old RTL500 on the left and new RTL515 on the right:

I have both of these (pictured). My wife rides with the older one now, and I use the newer one. I have noticed, reproducibly, that when we get separated on the road and then she or I catches up to get within range, this kind of disconnection happens. Also, when her Edge 130+ starts up, it often will prompt her to add my radar. In addition, I occasionally will get passed by someone else with a radar, and that often causes a (temporary) disconnection of mine.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-01-24, 10:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I've seen major improvements with the new RTL515, but yesterday I had some sensors drop out - HRM for sure - will riding the densely populated Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis. This was a more simple setup, just HRM, Rally pedals, and Varia. It was a very quick dropout, I couldn't find it in the data after the ride; and the Varia never showed disconnected. Still annoying and never saw this with my previous Edge units (510,520, 1030).
Old 05-02-24, 04:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,036 Posts
My RTL515, which is connected via BlueTooth to the Varia app on my iPhone, randomly disconnects momentarily a few times per ride too, without affecting my Apple watch or my HRM. I guess (from this thread) that this also happens with ANT+ connections to Garmin GPS head units.