Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 08-10-19, 07:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
If I had a choice to retire it'd be somewhere between Ventura and Santa Cruz. Preferably SLO or Santa Barbara..
I like the small towns (if you can still call them that) near the coast but they are out of my price range. There is some great riding up there, too.

I retired in April but Mrs. John is still attached to her job, at least for now. There are still some cheaper houses in the local mountains and I could still drive down for a club ride or to visit people. Moving hundreds or even thousands of miles from here would be tough.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-11-19, 03:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
We had been toying with moving to Burlington and living on the lake, as well as moving along the atlantic coast, but it's all stupid expensive. We sort of settled in on moving into the house we already owned, allowing my wife to keep her NYC salary and getting out of the rat race. We'll go back to summer vacations in Maine to get the big water fix. It's a fun exploration. The whole open question of 'where should I live and what should my life look like?' There's a million possibilities for all of us.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 08-11-19, 07:31 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Utah has mountains and isn't crazy expensive... Yet ..
Old 08-11-19, 07:40 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Utah has mountains and isn't crazy expensive... Yet ..
Beautiful picture. A couple people I know have moved to Saint George.

Here in the suburbs even a piece of crap house can sell for $450K. The rental I live in would be at least $550K.
Old 08-12-19, 07:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I don't have big money for a super nice smart trainer, but am going to bite on a used one local to me on CL.

I have a spare 42" TV that we don't use and I have a dedicated romex cable run to the shed. I think I'll mount that TV out there and buy a little indoor hvac unit to make it "liveable" to do work out there and bite on a Zwift subscription this winter.

Had to buy a disaster blower fan to dry out the crawl space from a small leak we had, so now I'll have that and a box fan. I'll just have to check the amp load on the whole setup.

I think if I can stay engaged this winter, I should hit some good goals for next year.
Old 08-12-19, 07:54 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I don't have big money for a super nice smart trainer, but am going to bite on a used one local to me on CL.

I have a spare 42" TV that we don't use and I have a dedicated romex cable run to the shed. I think I'll mount that TV out there and buy a little indoor hvac unit to make it "liveable" to do work out there and bite on a Zwift subscription this winter.

Had to buy a disaster blower fan to dry out the crawl space from a small leak we had, so now I'll have that and a box fan. I'll just have to check the amp load on the whole setup.

I think if I can stay engaged this winter, I should hit some good goals for next year.
depending on your budget, CycleOps has scratch and dent units at ~$900

https://www.cycleops.com/catalog/smart-trainers

really great road feel
Likes For echappist:
Old 08-12-19, 08:43 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'm not sure I still understand the smart trainer thing. Is there a benefit over a dumb fluid trainer combined with a power meter? I'm assuming I'll try out some zwift this winter, but I just have a normal CycleOps Fluid II from years ago, and my normal power meter.

I guess they get harder as the virtual hills go up, and easier as you descend? Is that it?
Old 08-12-19, 10:28 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm not sure I still understand the smart trainer thing. Is there a benefit over a dumb fluid trainer combined with a power meter? I'm assuming I'll try out some zwift this winter, but I just have a normal CycleOps Fluid II from years ago, and my normal power meter.

I guess they get harder as the virtual hills go up, and easier as you descend? Is that it?
Ding! It's a relative level of additional mental engagement to do work indoors through simulation of terrain and visual cues on Zwift or Kenomaps or whatever.

Guy has a smoking deal on a Kickr Snap. Not the nicest one out there, but for the price it's nearly in the price range of a new fluid.

I also currently have a 2nd gen Cycleops fluid. I'll keep it as my race warmup rig. I just find the fluid to be a soul sucker. Road feel is total crap since essentially zero flywheel effect, basically only good for doing "rote" intervals.

Also, are the Zwift race classes merit based or only w/kg based? I thought it was honor system on w/kg. Like, as a newbie could you fudge to be in "C" instead of "B" for a while.

I'd get smoked in "B". I'd like to hang around long enough to learn something.
Old 08-12-19, 11:38 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I packed up a bike for travel for the first time today (using a borrowed biknd helium which uses inflatable air bags for cushioning). the bag seems quite nice, but I'm having first time jitters of traveling with a bike and hoping that a) nothing happens or b) if something does happen that I can get a repair done quickly for Saturday.
Old 08-12-19, 12:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Finding the right saddle has to be the most frustrating bike part to buy. I need something new, mostly okay on the road, really numb on the trainer when I'm not moving around much. Current saddle also has a ton of miles on it and is showing its age.

Finding a place to demo is proving very difficult. And the saddles I'd like to try are of course absurdly expensive (Selle SMP stuff for like $250, even cheaper Specialized or Selle Italia ones I'm interested in are $150+).

And local shops suck. There isn't a good performance/race oriented LBS within 30 minutes of me. All the saddles I see on their shops have way too much padding, so even buying and returning doesn't really work.
Old 08-12-19, 01:27 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ding! It's a relative level of additional mental engagement to do work indoors through simulation of terrain and visual cues on Zwift or Kenomaps or whatever.

Guy has a smoking deal on a Kickr Snap. Not the nicest one out there, but for the price it's nearly in the price range of a new fluid.

I also currently have a 2nd gen Cycleops fluid. I'll keep it as my race warmup rig. I just find the fluid to be a soul sucker. Road feel is total crap since essentially zero flywheel effect, basically only good for doing "rote" intervals.

Also, are the Zwift race classes merit based or only w/kg based? I thought it was honor system on w/kg. Like, as a newbie could you fudge to be in "C" instead of "B" for a while.

I'd get smoked in "B". I'd like to hang around long enough to learn something.
They're w/kg based, and its purely an honor thing but people are pretty assertive about outing cheaters.

Its just a much much better feel. I had a Kurt Kinetic with a PM setup and hated using the trainer. Once you get something like a Kickr, NEO, etc. the feel is great and it actually makes it fun.

Last edited by furiousferret; 08-12-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 01:29 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I packed up a bike for travel for the first time today (using a borrowed biknd helium which uses inflatable air bags for cushioning). the bag seems quite nice, but I'm having first time jitters of traveling with a bike and hoping that a) nothing happens or b) if something does happen that I can get a repair done quickly for Saturday.
Used that for about 20 fights. More packing required than some other bags, but the 2X wheels sets make it an ideal racing choice.
Old 08-12-19, 01:41 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Used that for about 20 fights. More packing required than some other bags, but the 2X wheels sets make it an ideal racing choice.
I'm only going with one set of wheels but this bag would def be useful if I had another set (I guess I have 1/2 set of extra wheels, 2 rear wheels one front, but leaving the extra at home). My challenge was with the handlebar placement, I have cantilever brakes on my CX bike so it made it a bit more of a challenge to get the bars placed ideally around the fork, but I think Ive got them ok with extra bubble wrap. But in shaking the case I don't hear any shifting around, so far so good. Shipping the bike is likely a slightly better option but CX season kicks off soon and don't want to have any gap in time between my trip and racing.
Old 08-12-19, 01:43 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Its just a much much better feel. I had a Kurt Kinetic with a PM setup and hated using the trainer. Once you get something like a Kickr, NEO, etc. the feel is great and it actually makes it fun.
If you keep saying things like this, my wife will find you.

I'm already feeling guilty about getting back into cycling and how much I've spent.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-12-19, 02:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'm only going with one set of wheels but this bag would def be useful if I had another set (I guess I have 1/2 set of extra wheels, 2 rear wheels one front, but leaving the extra at home). My challenge was with the handlebar placement, I have cantilever brakes on my CX bike so it made it a bit more of a challenge to get the bars placed ideally around the fork, but I think Ive got them ok with extra bubble wrap. But in shaking the case I don't hear any shifting around, so far so good. Shipping the bike is likely a slightly better option but CX season kicks off soon and don't want to have any gap in time between my trip and racing.
Airline? Unfortunately this often boils down to respect. I *think* soft cases say "be careful". We fly tons of bikes, tons of trips (teams, TT bikes etc.). I have not seen a bad result in many trips. That said look into BikeFlights for return trips.

My kid is now active military, so he gets free to full price and it is often not published. We have to play the game. More times that not, I just pay Bike Flights rather than deal with airline personal.
Old 08-12-19, 02:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
They're w/kg based, and its purely an honor thing but people are pretty assertive about outing cheaters.

Interesting. I have been on Zwift for awhile, but never on a smart trainer. Always just used my PM on a regular fluid trainer. I considered getting a smart trainer but didn't want to have to figure out a way to plug it in to warm up for a race. As it's looking with my potential work schedule next winter, I may be spending a lot more time on Zwift and maybe I"ll drop the coin after all.
Old 08-12-19, 04:52 PM
big john

Finding the right saddle has to be the most frustrating bike part to buy. I need something new, mostly okay on the road, really numb on the trainer when I'm not moving around much. Current saddle also has a ton of miles on it and is showing its age.

Finding a place to demo is proving very difficult. And the saddles I'd like to try are of course absurdly expensive (Selle SMP stuff for like $250, even cheaper Specialized or Selle Italia ones I'm interested in are $150+).

And local shops suck. There isn't a good performance/race oriented LBS within 30 minutes of me. All the saddles I see on their shops have way too much padding, so even buying and returning doesn't really work.
Good luck with the saddle. Years ago I was looking for a new saddle in my LBS and he had a really nice Selle Italia which was more than I wanted to spend, but it looked like it would work, so he told me I could take it home and put it on my bike and return it if I didn't like the fit. I decided to take it for a ride and of course, it rained.
The sand and road grit ground the logos off and dulled the leather, so I had to buy it. Fortunately I liked it a lot and rode it until the rail snapped on a climb.
Old 08-12-19, 04:56 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Interesting. I have been on Zwift for awhile, but never on a smart trainer. Always just used my PM on a regular fluid trainer. I considered getting a smart trainer but didn't want to have to figure out a way to plug it in to warm up for a race. As it's looking with my potential work schedule next winter, I may be spending a lot more time on Zwift and maybe I"ll drop the coin after all.
They're purely house 'furniture'. You can use the Tacx Neo to warm to up as it doesn't need an out but its also somewhere around 50 lbs. I still keep my Kinetic for race warm ups.
Old 08-12-19, 08:23 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
They're purely house 'furniture'. You can use the Tacx Neo to warm to up as it doesn't need an out but its also somewhere around 50 lbs. I still keep my Kinetic for race warm ups.
An inverter for the cigarette lighter in your car will do the trick. I bring my kickr to races I need to warm up for.
Old 08-13-19, 05:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
For race warm ups, I like the Feedback Omnium. It's just so compact compared to just about everything else.
Old 08-13-19, 06:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

as the BF member who puts in more indoor time than any combination of people here

if I wanted a smart trainer I'd by the inside ride emotions with bluetooth in a heart beat
Old 08-13-19, 06:41 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
as the BF member who puts in more indoor time than any combination of people here

if I wanted a smart trainer I'd by the inside ride emotions with bluetooth in a heart beat
That looks pretty sweet. My main issue on the trainer is I get pains and numbness that I don't get outside just because I'm so locked in to one position. Looks like that solves a lot of that.

Those with the fork mount gets you best of everything. Only downside really is the 800W limit, but that's still pretty high.

$1350 with everything though. This sport is crazy expensive.
Old 08-13-19, 07:57 AM
big john

Originally Posted by gsteinb

Don't you use rollers?
Old 08-13-19, 08:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Anybody have any experience (or know anyone with experience) riding without a fibula? Finally got into a doctor to look at a knee problem that's kept me off the bike (and a lot of other physical activity) for quite a while and it's looking like losing most of my right fibula is best case scenario. The doc was like, "if you have to lose a bone, that's a great one because it doesn't really do anything, and lots of people do fine without it" but I didn't get a clear answer on if that means, "oh yeah, you'll be able to walk normally without pain again" or "oh yeah, you'll be able to put out some good power again" kind of "you'll be able to do fine without it" and didn't know if anyone had a cycling perspective.
Old 08-13-19, 08:46 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

That looks pretty sweet. My main issue on the trainer is I get pains and numbness that I don't get outside just because I'm so locked in to one position. Looks like that solves a lot of that.

Those with the fork mount gets you best of everything. Only downside really is the 800W limit, but that's still pretty high.

$1350 with everything though. This sport is crazy expensive.

Don't know. I have hit ice 1000 watts on mine. But there’re mechanical resistance. I couldn’t do full flat out 10 second sprints at outdoor wattages, but I r yet to find anything else they’re not better for. In most instances they’re flat out better than training outdoors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.