Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Post Workout Recovery on the go

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 08:48 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Any recommendations on what to eat/drink right after a workout that doesn't require me strapping a mini-fridge to my back or bring along my outdoorman essentials cooking kit? I know you are supposed to strive for a little protein with some simple carbs to help replenish everything, but all of the recommendations I see are things like beans, egg on toast, etc., which doesn't work out well for me in most situations.
Old 12-28-19, 11:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
A bagel and cream cheese is good. Ham and cheese sandwich? PB&J? Danish? Clif Bar? I always like a beer and soup, probably not the best thing, but I like it. Beer really kills the pain in my legs. Then I have the bagel.
Old 12-29-19, 01:46 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For pretty much every ride and workout I premix a homebrewed energy/replenishment drink from cold coffee, whey protein and whatever supplements I want to add that aren't already in the whey powder -- typically l-arginine AAKG, magnesium lactate, creatine, a few other things.

Unless it's really hot I'm usually starving after a ride so I'll eat everything in sight. I'm still within 5 lbs of my optimal weight so apparently I'm burning up enough to offset my lack of interest in counting calories.

When my esophagus was obstructed (swollen thyroid due to calcification and cancer, since fixed with surgery) I emptied a bunch of gelatin capsules of powder into the mix: DHEA, pregnenolone, beta ecdysterone, other stuff that supposedly boosts testosterone. After the thyroid cancer thing, my energy was in the dumpster because my hematocrit and testosterone were on the low side. But the docs wouldn't authorize any prescription supplements such as the patches. They used to prescribe it for more or less routine complaints of low energy and libido accompanying aging, but not any longer. Now they're only permitted by my health network to prescribe those for orchiectomy patients and similar issues.

So I had to try OTC supplements based on anecdotes, mostly from bodybuilders who'll try almost anything. And there are a few threads on anonymous forums related to bike racing that contain some anecdotes about using alternatives. But keep in mind DHEA and pregnenolone may already be banned substances for some sports, and ecdysterone is on the list to be considering for regulating, although it's a natural ingredient in spinach and some other greens, veggies and foliage, and in the exoskeletons of shellfish and some insects. Apparently it takes a lot to offer any advantage. I'm not sure how many cans of spinach Popeye would need to be banned from fighting Bluto.

Dunno if it works as claimed but I feel better -- stronger legs, better recovery, best I've felt in decades. Maybe I was gonna feel better anyway. Maybe it just took a few years to regain decent fitness.

But now I can swallow the capsules so I don't mix them in the drink. Tasted kinda funky anyway. Some of those are available in bulk powder form, although beta ecdysterone is still kinda scarce and suppliers are cagey about sources and ingredients. Reportedly it's all derived from greens that are high in ecdysterone (spinach, etc., and supposedly other plants), or the exoskeletons of bugs and shellfish. Who knows. I supposed they worry about scaring away customers by telling them where the stuff comes from, but that's also true of common sources for powdered amino acids and other common supplements -- typically, the offal from slaughtered cattle, pigs and other animals, recycling cartilage, etc., for supplements. But some OTC supplements have been found to contain unreported banned substances, presumably included to give the illusion that the voodoo potion actually works.

So who knows, without independent lab testing. Caveat emptor, etc.
Old 12-29-19, 05:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you're "on the go" and have no time to prepare your own food/drinks at home, then stopping at a fast food joint or even a grocery store and buying something already prepared is your best option... Keep it simple and don't overcomplicate things, you don't really need to take 100 different supplements or waste time making " complicated home brews "after your workout, all you really need is something that is loaded with carbs and proteins and a little fat. There are plenty of options out there which will supply your body with carbs, proteins and fats after your workout.
Old 12-29-19, 10:21 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Not looking for fast food, and I don't mind some prep, but won't have a fridge or anything. After thinking some more, I remembered reading about flapjack. So, ill look into that, or a rice krispie recipe, and mix in protein powder to give me a balance of pro and cho.

Until I find that motivation, I found some protein bars on amazon for $1 a bar with 20 g protein, 18 g of carbs and 5 g of fat. Good enough for now and cheaper than the $6 shakes at the gym.
Old 12-29-19, 10:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here is a recipe for healthy post workout drink:

1 cup of sweetened vanilla yogurt or kefir

1 scoop of whey protein powder

half a cup of water

Mix it in a blender and you got yourself a good post workout drink

Here is one of my personal recipes for meal replacement energy bars ( no cooking required );

1 cup of rolled oats

5 tablespoons of almond butter or any other nut butter of your choice

5-6 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses

3 tablespoons of chocolate chips

Toast the oats in the oven for about 10 minutes at 300 degrees. Let them cool, then blend them fine in a blender. Mix the oats with all other ingredients and knead it well. This whole mixture is about 1200 calories. Cut it into 3 parts, form it into bars and refrigerate to harden. This will give you 3 bars of about 400 calories each...I take these on my rides but they can also be eaten post ride.
Old 12-29-19, 12:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
...Until I find that motivation, I found some protein bars on amazon for $1 a bar with 20 g protein, 18 g of carbs and 5 g of fat. Good enough for now and cheaper than the $6 shakes at the gym.
Ditto, ready made protein/energy bars. Whey protein is cheap so there's no reason why a typical protein bar should cost more than $1.50. I tried several brands until I found some that have good flavor and texture. Usually I get Clif bars with caffeine.

I used to get ThinkThin bars, which are cheap with decent flavor and texture. But the maltitol sugar alcohol they use instead of sugar can cause digestive upset and gas with some folks. Clif bars just use sugar. It's all fuel when we're on a bike ride or workout so unless we're at an elite level of competition, aiming for minimal body fat, or have physical issues that preclude using sugar, it doesn't matter much.

And I'd avoid the frosted protein/energy bars for anything but cool weather rides, hikes, etc. The frosting melts and makes a huge mess in warm weather or in a pocket.

There's also less trash to haul with ready made protein bars. Clif and others use very thin Mylar type packaging. If I eat a bar or gel on the ride, I tuck the wrapper into my sock or shorts leg under the rubber leg gripper. It weighs nothing and I don't even notice it. With homebrewed snacks I need to carry a plastic baggie that's more bulky and I do notice it tucked into my sock or shorts. I've tried shoving the empty baggie into my jersey pocket but too often it would fall out when I reached for my asthma inhaler, phone or bandanna. I do have one jersey with a small pocket intended for empty wrappers but most jerseys don't have that.
Old 12-29-19, 04:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Milk.

I have some double walked stainless steel water bottles that keep ice in my water for half a week, you can use something like that to bring some milk on the go and not worry about it spoiling.
Old 12-29-19, 05:01 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I like Hammer Recoverite and the orange/vanilla flavor is pleasant. On a per serving basis, it is not expensive.https://www.hammernutrition.com/recoverite
Old 12-29-19, 06:06 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
Twist open an Oreo, dollop of pb of choice, slice of banana,, reassemble, open wide and down the hatch. Oh Yea > beer to wash them down.
Old 12-30-19, 12:36 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Post workout nutrition is generally overrated. As long as you are getting adequate nutrition day to day, it doesn't matter much. The only exception would be if you were doing some sort of high volume block (like a pro doing a stage race, or a training camp) were you absolutely must maximize recovery in a very short time before your next hard day.
Likes For OBoile: