Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Happy place?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Happy place?

Old 12-29-19, 08:48 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Happy place?

A friend recently told me that her happy place was Disney World. Now I'm a central Floridian and I couldn't think of a worse place to spend my time, but hey, to each his own.

Then I got to thinking about it, and decided that I have a very scenic ride I take right on a road along side a river, with a canopy of old live oaks and palm trees, and best of all, very little car traffic and a 15 mph speed limit (which I break!!!). I think riding on that road on a sunny, not-too-hot day with the river nice and glassy beside me -- that's my happy place. My other happy place is on that river, in a kayak.

Is your happy place tied to a bike trail or a bike ride of some kind?
Old 12-29-19, 09:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I'm in Eastern Carolina, near the water. It's flat, which isn't a positive attribute, but I can ride from my driveway into very light traffic. My happy place is along the rural roads where I lose track of where I am.
Old 12-30-19, 12:53 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have three. One is riding when it is clear and all the snowy mountains are out and on display. Another is when all the flowers are blooming in the spring. And the last is with the sun setting over the Pacific.
Old 12-30-19, 06:54 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
A friend recently told me that her happy place was Disney World. Now I'm a central Floridian and I couldn't think of a worse place to spend my time, but hey, to each his own.....................?
SW FL since 1986 with WDW being a Happy Place since 1979. Just there 2 weeks ago and didn't even go to the Parks, just hung out in the RV at Fort Wilderness. Back again in Feb.

My riding "Happy Place" is anywhere on the bikes.
Old 12-30-19, 07:45 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
My happy place is anywhere away from the hordes of people. If I leave the house early enough on my bicycle, that is my happy place.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-30-19, 07:47 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Yes. It's the route of my annual overnight ride from Long Island, NY to Mystic, CT. At no other time in my day-to-day life am I as relaxed and content as when I am riding this part-road, part-path, part-dirt trail mini-tour.
Old 12-30-19, 08:01 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
When I lived near the area, I'd often ride the mtn.bike trails around Lake Redman/Lake Williams, just outside of Shrewsbury PA. Rocky Ridge, near York PA isn't too shabby for mtn.biking, either. Lived near and rode often on the NCR rail-trail (think it was renamed the York Heritage Trail) Have even given thought to moving back to that area, drawn by the many rail-trails and mtn.biking trails. Beautiful scenery around there also.
Old 12-30-19, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Touring quiet, scenic roads in Montana.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-30-19, 01:29 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
The moments when I'm alone, no attractions/distractions (cars/peds/etc) and I can hear the derailleurs shifting in perfection.... This is.my "zone"
Old 12-30-19, 01:46 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
After a trip to the local pizzeria, a friend of mine quipped:

"Chuck E. Cheese is living proof that one person's heaven can be another person's hell."

So it is with Disney World. I know many who love it, and I can see the reason why. Going with small children is another matter (seeing their joy is itself enjoyable) but personally, I'd rather have hot sticks poked in my eyes.

I have many happy places, but most of them are happy as much because of who I'm with as where I am. But there are those occasional soulful places where being alone is where it's at. That would be the Eastern Sierra, witnessing another sunrise or sunset.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-30-19, 02:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
in our house, we have a spot, we affectionately call, "the spot". it's a corner of our sectional, in our living room. it's a sanctuary of sorts. for example, when a kid comes home & they have no plans for a cpl days, they get the spot. our Daughter usually takes it, but I fear those days are dwindling. there's a new "fella" in the picture. Wifey likes it at night a cpl hrs before bed. I rarely get it, but that's OK, cuz I guess, I'm happiest outside, during a blizzard
Old 12-30-19, 05:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Happy Place - get the concept but the specifics are a little dreamy.
My local apothecary can put you in a happy place!

Old 12-31-19, 03:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
One is a location in northern Tasmania where there aren't very many people and where there are some decent, empty roads to ride on. Away from people is key!
Likes For Machka:
Old 12-31-19, 08:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
My happy place is on a bike and it takes me to all other happy places.

This is the time of year when driving local roads on routes often rode in the warm summer sun that I can recall specific rides, speeds, gearing, I can almost feel the notch click and shift change.

For now, memories will have to do.
Old 12-31-19, 11:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
One is a location in northern Tasmania where there aren't very many people and where there are some decent, empty roads to ride on. Away from people is key!
That United Airlines 787 that flies directly over my house coming and going from Houston to Sydney and vice versa teasing me to visit Australia one of these days. I would love to cruise through the outback away from the tourist places. That would be a happy place for me and it’s on my bucket list.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-01-20, 01:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Happy place?
A friend recently told me that her happy place was Disney World. Now I'm a central Floridian and I couldn't think of a worse place to spend my time, but hey, to each his own.

Then I got to thinking about it, and decided that I have a very scenic ride I take right on a road along side a river, with a canopy of old live oaks and palm trees, and best of all, very little car traffic and a 15 mph speed limit (which I break!!!). I think riding on that road on a sunny, not-too-hot day with the river nice and glassy beside me -- that's my happy place. My other happy place is on that river, in a kayak.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
My happy place is on a bike and it takes me to all other happy places.

This is the time of year when driving local roads on routes often rode in the warm summer sun that I can recall specific rides, speeds, gearing, I can almost feel the notch click and shift change.

For now, memories will have to do.
Indeed a (specific) "happy place” is hard to pinpoint, especially after a decades-long cycling lifestyle, e.g.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"What Is One Of Your Most Memorable Days On Your Bike?"

@jppe , that question is a bit like, "Who’s your favorite child?" Nearly all my most memorable days on a bike had been in the context of tours:...
"Favorite route, loop or out/back ?"

…Other than my weekday one-way commute (usually take a train home), often my long Saturday ride is a lengthened route to work (at my convenience, for a few hours), then ride home…

Last summer I met a weekend cycling companion, and we decided we would agree on a meeting spot, and then do a loop to return to our cars (which I do not think is a “loop/out-and back” in the sense of this thread}…

When I might have about two hours to ride from home, I do have several routes, but a favorite, with the least amount of traffic, I call the training loop.…

I have very nice options…
As to a specific environment, similar to the OP, I have posted a few times:
"Enjoying a nice little back road."

... I have described probably similar “nice little ("enchanted") back roads,” akin to a classic “nice little black dress” in the fashion world. :
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural. I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):

• Enchanted
    ...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-01-20 at 02:22 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: