Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there no trim adjustment on Giant TCR??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-11-20, 06:42 PM
kedward778

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I just test drove a Giant TCR Avdvanced Pro 1 2018. Love the ride, but while the chain is on the the large front chain ring, I experienced chain rub on the front derailleur for the 3 lowest (largest) cassette gears. I went to engage the trim to relieve the chain rub, but there was little if any trim affect. I asked the bike mechanic to adjust, and he tried but then said "that is just the way it is".

I **know crossing chaining is not ideal** for long periods, but every other bike I have ridden allows you to simply engage the trim to eliminate chain rub.

Thoughts? Anyone experience this on their TCR? Or is it time to find a new mechanic?
Old 01-11-20, 07:16 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,492 Posts
trim/

could be the FD cable has too much slack in it? is the cage inline with the chainrings?
Old 01-11-20, 09:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Since we don't know the bike's shifter spec unless we do a search some might not want to offer advice yet. If the shifter does have a trim feature then a too tight cable is a very common reason to not have much trim happen when engaged. Do know that some tolerance exists in all parts and the exact same brand./model # part can work slightly different in the fine aspects from another same part. There are times when the mechanic is faced with the choice as to what combo will rub. Small cogs with the big ring or big cogs with it. Andy
Old 01-11-20, 09:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by kedward778
Hello,
I just test drove a Giant TCR Avdvanced Pro 1 2018. Love the ride, but while the chain is on the the large front chain ring, I experienced chain rub on the front derailleur for the 3 lowest (largest) cassette gears. I went to engage the trim to relieve the chain rub, but there was little if any trim affect. I asked the bike mechanic to adjust, and he tried but then said "that is just the way it is".

I **know crossing chaining is not ideal** for long periods, but every other bike I have ridden allows you to simply engage the trim to eliminate chain rub.

Thoughts? Anyone experience this on their TCR? Or is it time to find a new mechanic?
Was "every other bike" an 11 speed with exactly the same drive train?
Old 01-12-20, 06:45 AM
kedward778

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Was "every other bike" an 11 speed with exactly the same drive train?
Pretty similar, I have an older giant TCR with ultegra 10-speed and it had a great trim setting that relieved chain rub on all gears. I might expect a little chain rub on the newer giant TCR advanced pro ultegra because it has one more gear but why am I getting chain rapping all three high end gears and why is there no chain rub relief when I engage the trim?

I find it hard to believe they can't design a bike that doesn't have chain rub, especially when it cost $3,000
Old 01-12-20, 08:09 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If you look up the shifter model on the internet, then you'll find out whether it not if it has rim. We cannot tell you since we don't know what it is.

You could replace the shifter with a compatible model that has trim.

Also, SRAM YAW FD don't need trim, usually. On my bike I had to expand the cage a couple of millimeters. The FD had a convenient bolt to open the cage and insert some washers. I then used my old Shimano shifter which had trim, but I set up the limit screws so that the trim did nothing. So essentially I only had 2 absolute positions on the FD.
Old 01-12-20, 08:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by kedward778
I find it hard to believe they can't design a bike that doesn't have chain rub, especially when it cost $3,000
They can. It's called "friction front shifting" and can be trimmed exactly as you wish.

More seriously, the electronic groups (Shimano Di2, etc.) automatically reposition the front derailleur to center it over the selected chainring for every rear shift.
Old 01-12-20, 08:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Looked up the bike specs, which calls for an R8000 Ultegra groupset, so looked up the specs and the info I found states it does have trim. So I guess if the groupset is R8000, it should--found the info re:trim under the pic of the front derailleur -- https://cyclingtips.com/2018/09/shim...g-term-review/
Old 01-12-20, 08:24 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
The shop mechanic is a lazy idiot and I'd then question whether I'd want to buy from this shop. This bike and according to the website, has a mechanical shifting system, which can ALWAYS be adjusted. It sounds like the factory chose to not install inline barrel adjusters on the housing from the front shifters to the cable stop on the frame. These would allow a bit of adjustment to the derailleurs. The rear already has a barrel adjuster on it, fronts never have.one.

The alternative is to simply pull in a slight amount of cable onto the set bolt on the derailer. That'l have the shifter pull a bit more cable and will eliminate the rub.

My new Cannondale Topstone has no inline adjusters either. If and when I change out the cables (next year likely), I'll add them.

https://jagwire.com/products/small-p...line-adjusters
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-12-20, 09:57 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
I'm thinking that any $3000 bike should have upper-crust components. They should not have chain rub as long as they are adjusted properly. Any late model bike I've owned that was 105-Ultegra never has had any problems with it.
Old 01-12-20, 12:14 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
i have the Giant Contend SL1 (highest tier al frame) with 105s and had same issue. manually adjusted the FD until the problem went away. Just takes some time to dial in...

jag
Old 01-12-20, 05:22 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I run 105 on one of my newer bikes and I have a bit of rub when fully cross-chained, but only with those two combinations--which I never use, anyway. As mentioned above, it really is worth having a hard look at that FD to be sure it is really, exactly aligned and straight. Last time I noticed rub in some other gear combos, that was it. Somehow, that FD angle (with respect to the big chaingring) was way off. No idea how that happened. But realigning it solved the whole deal.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 01-12-20 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For bpcyclist: