Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Other "I am a rock" riders

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-03-15, 01:19 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you don't know the Simon and Garfunkel song here it is SIMON & GARFUNKEL LYRICS - I Am A Rock

It seems just about everyone on this board rides in a group if not mostly at least once a week.

Are they are any other "I am a rock" riders out there that *only* go out solo? If so why?

I'm not an anti-social person I just don't find the act of riding particularly social and it can be down right dangerous. I can think of nothing more frightening than riding fast in a group on a road: wheels touch, people go down, people get run over ...
Old 09-03-15, 01:21 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
It seems just about everyone on this board rides in a group if not mostly at least once a week.
I don't get that sense. Many do (at least once a week) - but IDK about "just about everyone". ~90% of my rides are solo.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 09-03-15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-03-15, 01:23 PM
series1811

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 105, 2012 Fuji Roubaix, 1988 Basso Gap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to ride solo, I get better workouts in that way. I use group rides as recovery rides about once a week.
Old 09-03-15, 01:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
At least 95 % solo riding here. I used to commute to work until my company moved too far north for that. Now I get home, catch up with my girlfriend for a while, go out and ride, and come home and go on with my evening. There aren't groups that are ready to go do my evening loop whenever I happen to be ready.

Riding with friends can be fun. So can going at your own pace wherever you like.
Old 09-03-15, 01:42 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because I have historically ridden so frequently, I ride solo a lot.

But given the choice, I like riding with a group. Safety in numbers and I'm fairly sociable on bike rides.
Old 09-03-15, 01:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
When I ride solo I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
Old 09-03-15, 01:46 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
1 or 2 out of 6 weekly rides will be in a group (or, in the summer, a race).

Needing to ride before work (and before dawn) most days means it's hard to find buddies who are willing to ride with me, and when they do, I'm incoherent because I'm not really awake yet. Sundays are generally my "big group" day and it's fun to catch up with my friends in the community and get a little competitive.
Old 09-03-15, 01:53 PM
Inpd

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I ride solo I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
But when you fall down do you feel pain or cry. If so your books and poetry aren't working.

Seriously, there are always posts about group rides, people forming tripods to stop falling etc so I got the impression that just about everyone rides in a group.

Also, how are group rides social? Are you guys cracking jokes, giving stock tips, converting people to your religion or what? Riding isn't tough but when going fast its not exactly as easy as walking.
Old 09-03-15, 01:57 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
The group rides I do don't start up until May and end in August so during that time I do 1 or 2 group rides a week and I do another 1 or 2 rides solo every week. The rest of the year almost all my rides are solo.
Old 09-03-15, 02:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Also, how are group rides social? Are you guys cracking jokes, giving stock tips, converting people to your religion or what? Riding isn't tough but when going fast its not exactly as easy as walking.
Yes. We often tell jokes, swap stories, etc., while riding and during breaks. On Sunday I will be leading a few people on a 94 mile ride to Brooklyn. This will be my 16th year doing the event. We will have a blast and will certainly be yucking it up along the way. We will also be there to help one another in the event something should happen. Much better than what happened to a friend of mine while riding solo in CA last year. He crashed and ended up in a ditch. No one saw what happened and he was no visible from the road. He was unconscious for a while but luckily came to and dragged himself out. A passing motorist called for assistance. If you are with a group of skilled, attentive riders I find you are far safer. Most car-bile collisions I hear about involve solo cyclists.

With that said, when I tour I like to tour alone. Touring involves more than riding.
Old 09-03-15, 02:08 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I prefer group rides but I usually ride solo because I'm the only cyclist I know of in these parts. But I don't listen to Simon and Garfunkel, and I don't carry books, poetry and flowers with me. Loner by Black Sabbath is more like it.
Old 09-03-15, 02:09 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I enjoy group rides. I don't really talk much to people (others do get a lot of talking in though) but I think it is a lot of fun to ride with others, plus some of those rides really make me push my limits, so that is an added bonus.
Old 09-03-15, 02:16 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Same as most here, about 90% of my ride time is solo. I get a better training ride and enjoy the tunes via ipod, big hair 80's glam band. This way I can pick my own route without someone complaining about too many climbs and such. I ride every once in a while with the local club to gauge my fitness with others. Also, I like to sleep in on saturday, were the club starts off around 7 am. Been doing this routine for about 20 years.
Cheers
Old 09-03-15, 02:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
But when you fall down do you feel pain or cry. If so your books and poetry aren't working.

Seriously, there are always posts about group rides, people forming tripods to stop falling etc so I got the impression that just about everyone rides in a group.

Even the hardest race ride has a neutral roll out and then a mellow ride back into town after the final sprint. That's social time.
Old 09-03-15, 02:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
I never ride in a group. Ever. I don't care about drafting, I don't care about racing, there's nothing in it for me.

Plus I go when I want, pick the route I want, stop and rest where I want, and come back when I want.

It's a no-brainer, really.
Old 09-03-15, 02:27 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I never ride in a group. Ever. I don't care about drafting, I don't care about racing, there's nothing in it for me.

Plus I go when I want, pick the route I want, stop and rest where I want, and come back when I want.

It's a no-brainer, really.
ftfy

Last edited by BillyD; 09-03-15 at 03:03 PM. Reason: refixed :p
Old 09-03-15, 02:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I am not a solo-only rider but I do prefer it. So, much less stress watching out for other less experienced riders. Riding solo gives me the chance to just get into the ride. Me, the bike and the road. Lovely.
Old 09-03-15, 02:36 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Define group. I do what I would call a group ride maybe once a month. I ride with 3-4 other guys a couple more times a month and solo the rest. The choice to ride solo is mostly logistics of being able to be in the right place at the right time
Old 09-03-15, 02:38 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I ride alone,
I prefer to be by myself.
Old 09-03-15, 02:50 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thorogood

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 09-03-15, 03:03 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
"and a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries"... yup solo rider here unless I can get my oldest son to ride with me (he will be 15 in 10 days), but that is mostly due to living in a rural location where the bike shop is over in a town 30 miles away.

My group rides have been on the trainer... me on my trainer at home and others on their trainers all on the same course (BKool Pro trainer/simulator).
Old 09-03-15, 03:41 PM
series1811

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 105, 2012 Fuji Roubaix, 1988 Basso Gap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
"and a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries"... yup solo rider here unless I can get my oldest son to ride with me (he will be 15 in 10 days), but that is mostly due to living in a rural location where the bike shop is over in a town 30 miles away.

My group rides have been on the trainer... me on my trainer at home and others on their trainers all on the same course (BKool Pro trainer/simulator).
Do you get to point out simulated road hazards?
Old 09-03-15, 03:47 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by series1811
Do you get to point out simulated road hazards?
Absolutely, like when the graphics go funny you can mention it using real time voice to other riders within 50 foot of you on the course. The BKool trainers allow voice communication between riders if you are within 50 feet on the same course.

I like the trainer as It automatically changes resistance based on road grade, and I can input the routes I actually ride outside or ride other routes. This trainer is a lifesaver allowing me to ride when the conditions outside won't (snow, ice, heat, wind, dark)
Old 09-03-15, 04:16 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.
There are many other solo riders.
People ride solo for a variety of reasons that are probably common to 98% of all solo riders.
I imagine the most common reason is that they choose to not ride in a group or with other people in general.
Seriously?
Old 09-03-15, 04:50 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
When I ride alone,
I prefer to be by myself.
I don't always ride alone,
but when I do, I ride by myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.