Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Intro and hope to inspire other amputees

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 05:12 PM
SCLee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Intro and hope to inspire other amputees

February 18, 2018 I was 72-3/4 years old and had a massive motorcycle accident on a lonely country road. Forcible amputation of left leg, broken femur, both hands and wrists shattered, two vertebrae broken, and bleeding out via femoral artery. Through VERY fortunate circumstances, a 57 mile / 17 minute helicopter ride, and some very good trauma doctors, 8 surgeries in 9 days, and 2 months in hospital / rehab, I survived. A year later I rode a motorcycle again, but my balance has been effected and with no feeling in the bottom of my left leg, it was time to find a new method of excitement. Through Greenville South Carolina's Roger C Peace Rehabilitation Hospital and the wonderful Recreational Therapy folks, I found TRIKES.

Oh, I still have problems with my stump and I have to get put back into my Penalty Box (wheelchair) every couple of months, but at 74+ I'm doing well. Volunteering as an Amputee Peer Support person at Roger C Peace and as a volunteer to guide visitors back to the surgery recovery rooms at the main hospital.

But this post is about inspiring others who might need something to shoot for, a goal to be active again. Last Tuesday, 10/8/2019, was the last Roger C Peace's Adaptive Cycling event of the year. Disabled people come out and ride adaptive trikes and bikes mostly provided by Roger C Peace. Each adaptive cyclist is accompanied by a volunteer rider. The rides are held on Greenville SC "Swamp Rabbit Trail".

My ride was shorter than usual due to problems with my stump, but I still "HAD TO RIDE" and this time, I made and edited a video. I significantly edited the video but showed trail, its condition, and other adaptive cyclist mixing with bikes, walkers, and runners. A FUN TIME was had by all. I rode 8.2 miles in 46 minutes.

Part1 is the outbound (going north) on the trail and typically has 1% - 2% grades northbound. It is about 9 minutes long. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sEj...ew?usp=sharing

Part 2 is the inbound (going south) and better shows the adaptive cyclists and volunteer riders. It is about 5 minutes long. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gzT...ew?usp=sharing

My advice to anyone who is "moping around" is GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING! Have Fun.
Lee

My trike is a Hase Kross, camera is a GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted on the front stem with HD Velco. Editing done with GoPro Qwik to create the clips and iMovie to string them together and annotate.

Constructive Criticism is welcome.