Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel spinning out when climbing - ideas/suggestions?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 09:16 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

This past weekend I was riding some technical single track. Talk about working on your bike skills. Anyway...

Some the sections had rock faces that needed to be climbed. I was finding that my rear wheel was spinning out, maybe half of the time. The rock faces were not wet (at least as far as I could tell) so I'm curious why my rear wheel was spinning out. Could it be I was in too low of a gear? Does temperature affect the bikes ability to climb up rocks?

Also, I was having a lot of what I am calling rear slide-outs. I'd be riding up over something - a root, a rock - and the rear wheel would slide over to the side and down. So long as I was pedaling I was able to keep the bike moving forward. Probably just bad route picking on my part.
Old 10-16-19, 12:54 PM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This past weekend I was riding some technical single track. Talk about working on your bike skills. Anyway...

Some the sections had rock faces that needed to be climbed. I was finding that my rear wheel was spinning out, maybe half of the time. The rock faces were not wet (at least as far as I could tell) so I'm curious why my rear wheel was spinning out. Could it be I was in too low of a gear? Does temperature affect the bikes ability to climb up rocks?

Also, I was having a lot of what I am calling rear slide-outs. I'd be riding up over something - a root, a rock - and the rear wheel would slide over to the side and down. So long as I was pedaling I was able to keep the bike moving forward. Probably just bad route picking on my part.
Initial thought is too much pressure in your tires
Likes For KDTX:
Old 10-16-19, 12:57 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
And put more of your weight on the rear wheel.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 10-16-19, 03:49 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Dropping your heels makes a huge difference.
Old 10-16-19, 03:59 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Old tyre gotten hard?
Too much pressure?
Try a different tread pattern, or even a fatter tyre?
Sit down more while climbing?

If it's happening consistently, these are the things I'd try to see if they made any difference.

Is it a hardtail? Compared to a dual-suspension, traction won't always be as good, it might be fun to borrow one and ride it up the same sections back-to-back with a hardtail. I did this a *long* time ago and was pleasantly surprised at being able to go up stuff on a dualler that I couldn't on a hardtail.
Old 10-16-19, 04:14 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thanks folks. I think their is too much air in my tyres. I think I had 30~35psi in there.
I'll also work on sitting more while climbing.
Cheers.
Old 10-16-19, 07:08 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Rider weight, rim width, tire make and psi? Suspension set up correctly? I'm 230, running 2.5 front width tire, 2.4 rear, 29er. 30 mm id rims. 18 psi front, 20 psi rear most days. Tubeless.
Old 10-16-19, 07:40 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

You need to ride more. Less equipment blaming, more skill building.
Old 10-16-19, 07:44 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I used to have that problem too until I switched up a wider traction tire on the rear. I run 2.35 Bontrager on the front which gives good stability and cornering and a 2.5 Delium on the rear which is seriously knobby. There are slopes of slick mud I can climb now with barely any tire slip that I would spin out prior to changing. Tire pressure is a definite factor also, especially in sand and scree/
Old 10-16-19, 11:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
When I have to climb something steep and slick, I concentrate on spinning circles at a fairly high cadence. Staying in the saddle, of course.

That usually works.
Old 10-17-19, 07:24 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Body weight distribution. With experience and saddle time, you'll learn right where you need to be and right when to be there. Good luck to you
Likes For pickettt:
Old 10-18-19, 06:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thanks folks. I think their is too much air in my tyres. I think I had 30~35psi in there.
I'll also work on sitting more while climbing.
Cheers.
Whats size tires, and how much do you weigh?

Some of it is just practice, knowing just where to put your weight and when.
Old 10-18-19, 08:27 PM
qclabrat

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
Body weight distribution. With experience and saddle time, you'll learn right where you need to be and right when to be there. Good luck to you
This^^, too much weight lean forward. You can still have weight in the back in a standing climb, just takes practice. Could also be tires, but practice is free
Old 10-25-19, 06:41 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Weight the rear wheel and smooth your pedaling. Spin, do not hammer.