Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-bikes & disaster plans

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

E-bikes & disaster plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 09:26 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
E-bikes & disaster plans

I just realized my OneMotor battery with the usb port will charge my iphone multiple times in a power outage/earthquake/disaster scenario. That got me thinking about how e-bikes can be used it natural disasters. My bug-out kit includes my bikepacking gear, some food/water/first aid stuff, on my Burley Travoy. Since my bike can be easily ridden without the motor, even if i can't recharge it later on, it's still an option. But now I am thinking about a solar charger -- something to have for emergencies.
Anyone use their e-bikes in these kind of situations or think about it and plan? I saw folks in the floods back East getting around by bike (maybe not so good using a battery in water). Just wondering if anyone else has figured stuff out.
Old 07-24-19, 10:06 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Good idea. When I've thought about it, a MTB seems more feasible. However a system like yours, that is lightweight and can be jettisoned if it becomes inoperable, makes sense.
Old 07-24-19, 06:15 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Hadn't thought about my bike for a power backup because I have a generator that we use for power outages, and my electric car can be fitted with an external inverter to power household items for well over a week. The car can also recharge my ebike. I do have two portable solar panels that I used to trickle charge the deep cycle batteries in my horse trailer (that supplied internal living quarters power) - I can always use that system for recharging my ebike (solar to deep cycle to ebike).

I'm too far into the rural areas to use the ebike for transportation. It's just a recreational toy.
Old 07-29-19, 12:00 PM
chalex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it depends a lot on your local terrain. When I lived in Philly and max elevation heading west was 1000ft; my single-speed steel bike was fine.

Make sure you have a chain tool with you in any case. You can always convert any multi-speed bike to a single-speed bike if you have chain issues and have to take some links out.

But this is all theoretical.
Old 07-29-19, 05:48 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
There are times that the power goes out. When it does I just roll the bike to a convenient location in the house and turn the headlight on.
Old 07-29-19, 06:22 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Robert C
There are times that the power goes out. When it does I just roll the bike to a convenient location in the house and turn the headlight on.
Wouldn't it be easier to just unclip the light?
Old 07-29-19, 09:45 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Wouldn't it be easier to just unclip the light?
The lights are integrated into the bike.
Old 07-30-19, 05:01 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl

I just realized my OneMotor battery with the usb port will charge my iphone multiple times in a power outage/earthquake/disaster scenario. That got me thinking about how e-bikes can be used it natural disasters. My bug-out kit includes my bikepacking gear, some food/water/first aid stuff, on my Burley Travoy. Since my bike can be easily ridden without the motor, even if i can't recharge it later on, it's still an option. But now I am thinking about a solar charger -- something to have for emergencies.
Anyone use their e-bikes in these kind of situations or think about it and plan? I saw folks in the floods back East getting around by bike (maybe not so good using a battery in water). Just wondering if anyone else has figured stuff out.
A disaster nasty enough to require a bugout kit likely took out cell service.

If it's not that bad, then you don't need a bugout kit.

If you're serious about this, you want to do real planning. A little shack that's hard to get to, stocked with supplies.

The problem is, there is a fairly narrow distance between ordinary disasters, and the types that will cripple civilisation for a while. Odds are you won't survive a nuclear winter from a meteor strike. A massive tsunami could cripple food production and transportation on the West coast. Anywhere within a thousand miles of Jellystone National park is toast if the Yellowstone caldera blows. I'm in Maine, but that would cripple food coming from the West and South of the border. Eventually there should be shipping, but that could take months, and there is the question of getting oil to move it around once the food gets here. There is a small possibility that a big hunk of Antarctica could slide into the ocean. That would create mile high waves, and I doubt I could get far enough away to be safe.

Just as a public service, and because I have a morbid turn, a Space rock hitting the Yellowstone caldera, the wrong place in Anarctica, and a couple other places could easily make our species extinct.

Last edited by late; 07-30-19 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 06:35 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by late
A disaster nasty enough to require a bugout kit likely took out cell service.

If it's not that bad, then you don't need a bugout kit.

If you're serious about this, you want to do real planning. A little shack that's hard to get to, stocked with supplies.

The problem is, there is a fairly narrow distance between ordinary disasters, and the types that will cripple civilisation for a while. Odds are you won't survive a nuclear winter from a meteor strike. A massive tsunami could cripple food production and transportation on the West coast. Anywhere within a thousand miles of Jellystone National park is toast if the Yellowstone caldera blows. I'm in Maine, but that would cripple food coming from the West and South of the border. Eventually there should be shipping, but that could take months, and there is the question of getting oil to move it around once the food gets here. There is a small possibility that a big hunk of Antarctica could slide into the ocean. That would create mile high waves, and I doubt I could get far enough away to be safe.

Just as a public service, and because I have a morbid turn, a Space rock hitting the Yellowstone caldera, the wrong place in Anarctica, and a couple other places could easily make our species extinct.
Lol, I live in earthquake country (SF Bay Area) and a big quake could make my area unlivable for a while. I'm not worried about Mad Max apocalyptic nuclear winter etc or getting to some tiny shack far away from everything.....I'm toast if that is necessary, I'm 70 years old, and at that point I think I just wouldn't GAF. I just want to have enough gear and facilities to deal with several weeks after a bad quake or to get to someplace not badly affected. I also want the ability to be able to trek to where my son lives (about 8 miles away), to haul water and supplies for neighbors. Since the roads could easily be too messed up, a bike seems like a fair alternative to a car. I've seen folks on bikes in lots of natural disasters where cars don't function.
Old 07-31-19, 02:58 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
A horse is a better alternative than a bike if you had a truly apocalyptic event. A horse can carry more and traverse terrain that a bike can't, plus it refuels on native vegetation. That being said, since the vast majority of people have access to a bike, I would think a carbon belt drive mountain bike with panniers would be the best option. Having a set-up for rainwater capture is critical, along with a stockpile of chlorine and a means of keeping the water in darkness. Two portable solar panels would be enough to recharge an ebike battery, or recharge a deep cycle battery that may be used to run a tv set. Aerial tv is a must. Who knows if the internet would be available, or even cell coverage.

We're pretty much sitting ducks for any long term disaster due to the complicated supply chain that exists, but if the dericho from a couple of years back taught us (at least us personally and our neighbors) anything, it was that "simple is better" and "always plan/stockpile for an extended disaster". A camp stove, a supply of nonperishable foods, usable on-site water, a sheltered place - this will get you through the worst, even for weeks.
Old 08-04-19, 07:18 PM
chalex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the reality is that you want a "bug in" kit, for staying at home. 8mi walk to your family is just a walk, no need for any special supplies. Unless you are going across some of the wacky Bay Area Geography. But you can still just walk.

Primarily you want to just follow whatever PG&E suggest for preparedness since they are in charge of delivering electricity and gas to your area.