Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring in Tevas

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring in Tevas

Old 08-09-19, 08:54 AM
sikesp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring in Tevas

Anyone else touring in Teva Hurricanes and if so do they make your feet burn like your getting a blister ?
My longest day was a little over 70 miles but even shorter distances have the same effect . I’ve seen people riding in sandals , wondering what I’m doing wrong .
Old 08-09-19, 09:05 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by sikesp
Anyone else touring in Teva Hurricanes and if so do they make your feet burn like your getting a blister ?
My longest day was a little over 70 miles but even shorter distances have the same effect . I’ve seen people riding in sandals , wondering what I’m doing wrong .
I do. No problem. Where do you get your blisters?

(Teva Toachi. Might get irritated walking on a beach when sand gets between the foot and a strap. Very unusual, and unrelated to cycling)
Old 08-09-19, 10:27 AM
sikesp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The soles of feet but not a true blister just burning like from friction
Old 08-09-19, 10:33 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Keen sandals and thin polypro socks, think short 1/4 height. Keeps out the dirt, no friction rubbing. Keens have a nice thick tread and covered toes. Plus they come in size 16.
Old 08-09-19, 11:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I need a stiffer sole than any Teva I've ever tried, so Keen cycling sandals for my feet.
Old 08-09-19, 01:22 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I’m not touring and haven’t ridden high miles in my Chaco Colorado’s but I really like them on the bike. The sole is very stiff but they still stick like glue to my flat mtb pedals. I usually wear socks and I may look dorky as all got out but I’m ok with that. I wear them enough without socks that I have the z tan on my feet but find wearing them with socks more comfortable.

Last edited by coyboy; 08-10-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-09-19, 07:36 PM
zacharyhoyt

Bikes: 1998 Trek 520

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do all my summer riding in Teva sandals, but I also wear them all the time so my feet are used to them. For months I don't wear socks and shoes at all, unless I have to go to a funeral, or do something that really requires steel toe boots. Last summer was my longest run yet, 117 miles in a day pulling a trailer with a light canoe and all of my camping stuff, and my feet weren't sore though I was pretty worn out in general at the end of the day.
Old 08-09-19, 11:42 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, I have problems with Teva's too, not just cycling, but walking in general. They get me around all the toes where the smaller straps have contact.

I use Keen's shoes for everything from walking, hiking, biking, etc...but haven't tried their sandals yet. I have heard the biggest problem with the Keen sandals is they are not built to quality like the rest of their line of shoes, that they typically run small, and that they are "narrower" then the rest of their line of shoes, which Keen is known to be wider and more comfortable in the box in general, but for whatever reason, the sandals don't follow suite. They are narrow and cause issues for folks that have wide feet which is odd since Keen is known in the rest of their line of shoes to avoid these problems, and why I wear them. They make an incredible shoe that will last some pretty serious miles but they need pressure to fix the sandals so they fall in line with the rest of their shoes. I haven't personally tried them yet, but that is the consistent feedback folks say across several mediums on the subject. I would absolutely love a Keen SPD that is built with the same wider technology they use in the rest of their shoes. It would be the absolute perfect shoe/sandal for me for off and on the bike then.
Old 08-13-19, 09:44 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I've toured in Tevas, don't recall the model, worked OK, maybe the shape of the Hurricane's sole doesn't agree with some folks.
Old 08-14-19, 05:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Sandals never worked for me for riding even when I lived in them pretty much all the time off bike (I mostly gave up on sandals even off bike after I could no longer by Alps, never found another sandal I liked as well). Maybe you just need to tinker with the adjustment of the straps? Maybe they just aren't for you? Maybe try different sandals (stiffer ones)? Maybe bigger pedal platforms? Maybe real bike shoes? Maybe something else?

Me, I much prefer my Sidi MTB shoes and they have worked very well for me as my only footwear on some tours or in conjunction with something else for off bike on others, but everyone needs to figure out what works for them. The answer may be different from tour to tour depending on the locale, mostly wrt what you use off bike (whether it is the same as your on bike shoes or something else).

Warning the following will be regarded as heresy by most folks...
Heck, on some tours I'd almost opt for road shoes and pedals (and may even do so at some point) if I was willing to change shoes when I wanted to walk any distance (I don't even mind walking short distances with big clunky Look cleats with Kool Kovers to save the cleats). It sounds crazy, but I have considered going with road shoes and a quick change to flip flops for off bike. My MTB shoes and pedals are great, but road shoes and pedals are even better for on the bike, just not so good off bike.
Old 08-14-19, 10:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about touring in some remote region of the Balkans or somewhere like that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-15-19, 01:30 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I thought this thread was going to be about touring in some remote region of the Balkans or somewhere like that.
I thought the same. I also though perhaps someone mistyped, "Texas." It's a good thread for me though, I have been thinking of switching to Tevas. I have been using Crocs for my tours so far, with good success I must say. I used their Swiftwater Crocs on my recent tour. The solo are stiffer than the normal Crocs.
Old 08-15-19, 02:44 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by phughes
I thought the same. I also though perhaps someone mistyped, "Texas." It's a good thread for me though, I have been thinking of switching to Tevas. I have been using Crocs for my tours so far, with good success I must say. I used their Swiftwater Crocs on my recent tour. The solo are stiffer than the normal Crocs.
Did you actually ride in regular Crocs as your normal on bike footwear? I took them as off bike shoes and have ridden in them for very short distances (like to the shower). I loved them for hanging around camp or even hiking moderate distances on not too difficult terrain. I can't myself imagine riding long distances in them though.

Swiftwater Crocs look like a different animal altogether, but there seem to be a bunch of variations. I have never seen them other than having just googled them. Wasn't sure what model you were referring to. Search results for "swiftwater crocs solo" didn't provide one obvious answer. Were they something like these https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-32...ns-sandals.jsp
Old 08-15-19, 02:53 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Did you actually ride in regular Crocs as your normal on bike footwear? I took them as off bike shoes and have ridden in them for very short distances (like to the shower). I loved them for hanging around camp or even hiking moderate distances on not too difficult terrain. I can't myself imagine riding long distances in them though.

Swiftwater Crocs look like a different animal altogether, but there seem to be a bunch of variations. I have never seen them other than having just googled them. Wasn't sure what model you were referring to. Search results for "swiftwater crocs solo" didn't provide one obvious answer. Were they something like these https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-32...ns-sandals.jsp
I use them on the bike, using flat pedals with pins. The pins stick very well into the soles of the Crocs, so no slipping. I run DMR V-12 pedals. My Crocs are the Swiftwater leather clogs, which I do not believe are available anymore, though I found them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/crocs-Swiftwa...ateway&sr=8-40

Old 08-15-19, 03:01 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by phughes
I use them on the bike, using flat pedals with pins. The pins stick very well into the soles of the Crocs, so no slipping. I run DMR V-12 pedals. My Crocs are the Swiftwater leather clogs, which I do not believe are available anymore, though I found them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/crocs-Swiftwa...ateway&sr=8-40

Thanks for the clarification.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-17-19, 10:52 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Heck, on some tours I'd almost opt for road shoes and pedals (and may even do so at some point) if I was willing to change shoes when I wanted to walk any distance (I don't even mind walking short distances with big clunky Look cleats with Kool Kovers to save the cleats). It sounds crazy, but I have considered going with road shoes and a quick change to flip flops for off bike. My MTB shoes and pedals are great, but road shoes and pedals are even better for on the bike, just not so good off bike.
Not heresy by me. More like orthodoxy.
Old 08-18-19, 08:20 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 288 Posts
Japan.
Warm/dry weather.
Keens sandals.
No socks.

Was convenient for visiting temples, etc, where the custom is shoes-off.
Old 08-19-19, 10:17 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Sandals never worked for me for riding even when I lived in them pretty much all the time off bike (I mostly gave up on sandals even off bike after I could no longer by Alps, never found another sandal I liked as well). Maybe you just need to tinker with the adjustment of the straps? Maybe they just aren't for you? Maybe try different sandals (stiffer ones)? Maybe bigger pedal platforms? Maybe real bike shoes? Maybe something else?

Me, I much prefer my Sidi MTB shoes and they have worked very well for me as my only footwear on some tours or in conjunction with something else for off bike on others, but everyone needs to figure out what works for them. The answer may be different from tour to tour depending on the locale, mostly wrt what you use off bike (whether it is the same as your on bike shoes or something else).

I have Sidi MTB shoes....they're walkable for shorter distances. Still, it makes sense to have separate shoes for biking & walking. Road shoes can save weight so more efficient while majority of time is cycling. Switching to flip flops/sandals etc gives the feet a little break with different pressure points. I once met a roller-skate courier who actually changed into street shoes every time he went into an office building...I thought that must be incredibly slow but it only took about 30 seconds to switch.