Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cherry Creek MUP Trail

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Cherry Creek MUP Trail

Old 09-02-19, 09:48 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Cherry Creek MUP Trail

This is my going to be my first winter commuting to work and I currently ride the Cherry Creek Trail in Denver where the trail descends under the road. I was wondering how the trail is affected/maintained during the winter. Does the trail ice up? How well does the city maintain this trail. Thank You!
Old 09-03-19, 07:31 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
This is my going to be my first winter commuting to work and I currently ride the Cherry Creek Trail in Denver where the trail descends under the road. I was wondering how the trail is affected/maintained during the winter. Does the trail ice up? How well does the city maintain this trail. Thank You!
Not sure how many forum members are residents of the Denver area. So, your question might be better asked to local Denver-area cyclists, or the municipal/state agency that maintains the trail. I live in Rhode Island where the few trails we have are maintained by the state Department of Transportation (RIDOT). Obviously RI is a much smaller state...so in CO's case some of, or parts of trails might be the responsibility of municipalities, or even counties. They probably have email/phone contact info on their websites. Maybe even info for clearing the trail in winter. Good luck.
Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 09-26-19 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 03:40 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I used to live in Denver and ride the Cherry Creek Trail, usually between 6th Ave. and downtown, but sometimes out to Colorado Blvd. In my experience, it was pretty well-maintained, and I was rarely in a situation that required studded tires (at least on the trail.) In some cases, the ramps would be a bit hairy.

That was a decade ago, though, so more recent reports would probably be helpful. That said, I cannot imagine that maintenance has gotten worse over the years.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 09-19-19, 09:52 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
I commute to work using the Cherry Creek trail pretty much 5 days a week. It generally gets plowed pretty quickly. The parts that can get slippery are the wooden bridges, but last winter, I was able to ride every day except maybe 6 or so.
Old 09-20-19, 03:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Within the City and County of Denver, Cherry Creek falls under the jurisdiction of Parks and Recreation. They get out and plow sooner than the roads are plowed as a general rule. The trail may still see some ice in places but, for the most part, it is clear.

The only wooden bridges I can think of that Le Mechanic referred to are way out east near Cherry Creek Reservoir. The rest of the trail and creek crossings are on concrete bridges.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-05-19, 07:08 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Within the City and County of Denver, Cherry Creek falls under the jurisdiction of Parks and Recreation. They get out and plow sooner than the roads are plowed as a general rule. The trail may still see some ice in places but, for the most part, it is clear.

The only wooden bridges I can think of that Le Mechanic referred to are way out east near Cherry Creek Reservoir. The rest of the trail and creek crossings are on concrete bridges.
Yeah, the majority of my commute is from the Cherry Creek Reservoir southeast to Parker. There's definitely more commuters from the reservoir northwest to downtown, but it all gets plowed generally before the roads. About the only time, I had an issue was a blizzard earlier this year with snowdrifts 3ft+ high, and some spots took a couple of days to get cleared.

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 10-08-19, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Yeah, the majority of my commute is from the Cherry Creek Reservoir southeast to Parker. There's definitely more commuters from the reservoir northwest to downtown, but it all gets plowed generally before the roads. About the only time, I had an issue was a blizzard earlier this year with snowdrifts 3ft+ high, and some spots took a couple of days to get cleared.
Just to be clear, I was talking about the section of Cherry Creek Trail within the City and County of Denver. That ends at Cherry Creek Res.

Kudos to the trail maintenance crews outside of the City and County for clearing drift like that. I travel west through Wheatridge and they never clear paths.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-13-19, 09:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I don't know if they clear the paths here in Colorado Springs, I take the streets.

But in the central and south end of the Springs we only get half the snow Denver gets...if that.

I know that doesn't answer your question, I just wanted to gloat about the dryness.

Happy, safe and warm riding this winter to you! @Alloo (and everyone).