Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1979) Guide to $150 - $250 Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 06:39 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

Same general information as the 1978 Guide to $100 - $150 bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...150-bikes.html), but presented slightly better in this article for comparing specs among specific models. As before, I'll just list the models below and provide the pdf of the full article. Just in case your current pdf reader only allows single page viewing, using Adobe Reader (View/Page Display/2-Page View) will allow you to view pages like an open magazine which makes looking at large two page table much easier.

AZUKI Sebring
CONCORD Freedom Deluxe
FUJI Gran Tourer
KHS Classic
KOBE Chaparral
PANASONIC Sport Deluxe
PEUGEOT UO9
ROSS Gran Tour
SENTINEL Whisper
TAKARA 860
WINDSOR Carrera AM-3
ZEBRAKENKO Storm
Attached Files
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 10-02-19, 07:43 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
"15% annual inflation and weakening dollar...", boy!, I surely remember those days.

I remember mortgage interest rates being way up there, too, 13-15%. This prompted the creation of the "adjustable rate mortgage" and the "teaser rate". Credit card interest was easily 21%.
Old 10-02-19, 04:32 PM
shmuelyosef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I remember 1979 well, as it was the year that my Fuji Special Road Racer was stolen, and I bought a Team Miyata frameset and built up my first bike (with european parts...I still have this frameset but with an Ultegra group, new paint/decals, Nitto stem and compact drops)...I have found nothing that compares