Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Frame Size Advice

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Frame Size Advice

Old 10-06-19, 11:36 AM
Kreid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Size Advice

Hey Everyone,

First time poster so please forgive me for any mistakes. I've read plenty of posts about frame sizing online but I was hoping I could get some insight on my dilemma. I am an 5'9 male with a 32" inseam looking to buy my first road/gravel bike. I am 24, 180lbs, and have an average build with an arm span only a couple inches shorter than my height, and fairly flexible. After doing some research I have decided on picking up a 2020 Kona Rove ST but I am having difficulty deciding between a 52 or 54 cm frame as I seem to be right in between the two sizes.

I have gone in and tested both sizes, but being newer to cycling I am unsure which is "better" for me. The 52 felt much more responsive, albeit a little too responsive at times (maybe because I am new to a narrow tire), and the 54 felt more stable but a little less responsive on the tighter corners, I didn't get a chance to do much climbing or descents. Neither bike felt overly cramped or like I was reaching too far for any position. When straddling the bike frame I have some clearance with the 52 but very little with the 54. The staff at the bike shop seemed to think I should pick up the 52 and the general consensus online seems to be go smaller as "it's easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller".

I'm sure it seems like I've answered my own question. I am leaning towards the 52, but I was hoping to get some more opinions before purchasing if anyone is willing to share. I can't leave a link due to my account being new but if you search for "2020 Kona Rove ST" there is a sizing guide for reference. My biggest concern is having to get "too low" on the 52 as I have had some back issues in the past, but I have been reading up on stem extenders to address this. Any recommendations on which extenders work best for a bike like this?

I should add my intended use for the bike is commuting, exercise and day tours. However, I am an avid camper and like the idea of doing long distance multi-day tours as I progress as a cyclist. I really do not see myself competing, as I am aware this isn't really a competition bike anyways.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Old 10-06-19, 02:14 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Get the 52. When posting inseam, be sure it's a cycling inseam, measured from the floor to firm crotch contact in bare feet.
Old 10-06-19, 02:57 PM
Kreid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the insight. I looked at a guide beforehand and did the proper cycling inseam by myself with a tape measure. I might try again with my partner's assistance to see if it produces a more accurate measurement as I feel like I'm closer to a 31"/31.5" inseam. The Rove's sizing guide seems to point towards the 54 cm frame for a 5'9" individual with a 31"-32" inseam, however most cyclists (online and in-store) advise to go with the smaller option when deciding on frame size. I'm going to try taking them out for a another test ride and make my decision. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-19, 09:21 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Again, you need your real cycling inseam not a sorta guesstimate or your blue jean size. And are you really a full 5'9"? Okay, I will play, you claim to have a 31.5 inch cycling inseam and 5'9" tall, longish arms, so I would probably put you on a 52 cm frame but the longer arms might favor a frame with a 54 cm effective top tube. The effective top tube length is the real number that defines the frame size because manufacturers use all manner of seat tube measurement to divine a frame size with little consistency. The 52 cm will be a fairly aggressive fit. But you are a young guy and will probably prefer that as you gain skill and fitness. A 52 cm effective top tube will probably feel squnched up a bit.

Me, just an example, 5'10" and 33.8 inch true cycling inseam, long arms, I ride bicycles with top tubes of 56 cm plus or minus a skosh. I have bicycles the manufacturer claimed to be a 52, a 54, some 56 and a 57 and a 58 among others. But they all have a 56 cm top tube or very close.