Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Centaur (ca. 2009) Keep or Upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 06:38 PM
TnTA2

Bikes: 2019 Litespeed T5 (Build in Progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

So now that I'm finished building my new Litespeed T5, I'm starting to research component upgrades from my existing and much-loved 2009-ish Campy Centaur 10-sp group set. I know it's getting harder and harder to find these components, and it won't get any easier as time goes on. I have no idea how may thousands of miles this gruppo has on it, or how much more life is left in it, but it was all new about 10 years ago and has worked flawlessly. I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and upgrade to either Chorus or Record 11-sp now, or just hang onto the Centaur stuff for another year or so. I know Campy is pushing 12-speed and eventually that will be the primary group set in the line. I don't think I can go 12-speed with my current Shamal Ultra wheel set. I'm not interested in any EPS setup, or Shimano gear, for a number of different reasons. So, what would you guys do in this situation?
Old 10-04-19, 06:43 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Keep the gruppo and frameset together and get a new ride!
Old 10-04-19, 06:47 PM
TnTA2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Keep the gruppo and frameset together and get a new ride!
The Litespeed T5 frame set, wheel set, handlebar and stem are all brand new. I'm keeping my Ti forever!

Last edited by TnTA2; 10-04-19 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For TnTA2:
Old 10-06-19, 12:14 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Campagnolo 12 speed components will work on your current wheels. The 2009-era Centaur parts are great, and Campag usually keep spares available for quite some time. It's still easy to find replacement parts for 9 speed groups, despite them being long out of date.

12 speed seems to be where things are headed, so if upgrading I'd definitely recommend doing that. Lots of options for lower gearing too compared to 10 speed, if you need that.
Old 10-06-19, 10:08 AM
TnTA2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
Campagnolo 12 speed components will work on your current wheels. The 2009-era Centaur parts are great, and Campag usually keep spares available for quite some time. It's still easy to find replacement parts for 9 speed groups, despite them being long out of date.

12 speed seems to be where things are headed, so if upgrading I'd definitely recommend doing that. Lots of options for lower gearing too compared to 10 speed, if you need that.
You sure about the compatibility? I have the rim brake version and the Camapgnolo site lists it as only compatible with the 9/10/11 free hub. The disc version lists 9/10/11/12-speed compatibility.
Old 10-06-19, 10:31 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Litespeed with 10s Centaur?
That sounds familiar:
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 10-06-19, 01:22 PM
raisinberry777

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TnTA2
You sure about the compatibility? I have the rim brake version and the Camapgnolo site lists it as only compatible with the 9/10/11 free hub. The disc version lists 9/10/11/12-speed compatibility.
It's just old documentation, the freehub in the two models is exactly the same and would be compatible with 12 speed.
Old 10-06-19, 02:09 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I have oh ninish Centaur also on my steel Bianchi.
Keeping it as its the last 'classic' looking group, even though my shifters and RD are carbon. Also the last mid level group with the different ergos and Ultra Shift and Ultra Torque.
Its a nice group and I can't imagine another group on that bicycle; newer stuff is grey/black and I like the bright.

Been thinking 11-12 too, but decided that for how I ride upgrading would only be for the the bling. Might wait till 12 catches on then go NOS 11.
Old 10-06-19, 02:31 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Campy 12 cassettes fit all hubs from 9-12 speed. The new Chorus 12 costs less than chorus 11. I just switched two bikes from 11 to 12 chorus. There are new crank and cassette options. The shifting is better than ever. The new FDs setup differently, so watch the campy videos. Since I ride in the Colorado mountains and foothills, I chose the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette.

I got my groups from pinkjersey.com.
Old 10-06-19, 10:22 PM
TnTA2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
It's just old documentation, the freehub in the two models is exactly the same and would be compatible with 12 speed.
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Campy 12 cassettes fit all hubs from 9-12 speed. The new Chorus 12 costs less than chorus 11. I just switched two bikes from 11 to 12 chorus. There are new crank and cassette options. The shifting is better than ever. The new FDs setup differently, so watch the campy videos. Since I ride in the Colorado mountains and foothills, I chose the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette.

I got my groups from pinkjersey.com.
Well, maybe I'm looking at potentially going with 12-sp Chorus (or Record if I want to splurge!) now. I've never ordered from pink jersey.com, but their prices on groups is great!