Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for cheap sorta-aero wheelset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 10:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

Looking for recommendations for wheelsets costing $200 or less for the set. I'd prefer rim profile around 30mm, and flat blade aero spokes. These will be either for only occasional use (fast group rides, maybe a couple of time trials a year) on my usual road bikes ('89 Ironman, '93 Trek 5900), or possibly the main wheels for a Diamondback Podium carbon frame I'm building up from a hodge-podge of components.

So far my shopping list includes (in no particular order of preference):
Shimano WH-501 (the version with aero spokes)
Shimano WH-RS330
Vuelta ZeroLite Road Pro
Vuelta XRP Comp or Pro

I'd also consider an older set of Bontrager Race Lite Aero although there were some reports several years ago of hub flanges cracking. I don't see any recall notice from Trek so I'm assuming those were isolated instances.

A little background...

I've been perfectly happy with old school low profile 36 spoke Araya and Wolber rims. They're tough, reliable and seemed to roll just fine. I'll continue to use those for most rides, solo, training and casual club rides.

Then I tried some entry level sorta-aero 31mm profile rims -- probably 10 year old set of Bontrager Race Lite Aero off a Trek Equinox tri-bike with cracked frame. I'm just cannibalizing the components for another bike. The Race Lite Aero wheels have 16 flat blade aero spokes each. Got curious, slapped the front wheel on my '89 Ironman and '93 Trek 5900 just for giggles. Darned if it wasn't consistently faster with just that one modification. Over the past month I've routinely averaged 17 mph on 20-50 mile routes on which I usually average 15-16 mph, with 20+ mph averages over some 5 and 10 mile segments where I usually averaged 17-18 mph. When I switched back to the standard wheelsets my speed dropped a bit.

I was surprised to find a single front wheel change could make that much difference consistently.

And the modest 30mm profile rims were manageable in stiff and gusting cross winds. I could feel a little bit of sailing compared with regular low profile rims but nothing I couldn't handle easily. Other folks with high profile aero rims commented on needing to fight their bikes a little to stay in control, which can be sketchy in group rides.

I probably won't rely on wheels with only 16 spokes for most rides, but I haven't had any problems either. Most of my solo and group rides are fairly relaxed so there's no need for special wheels for most rides. And being a cheapskate I'd rather keep the cost under $200 for the pair.

If I get to the point where I can hold 20 mph average over my usual 20-40 mile training rides, maybe I'll consider a set of decent carbon aero wheels. But not yet.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-19, 10:33 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Randombikeparts.com has a few for very good prices including carbon (although the carbon is closer to 300)
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 10-10-19, 05:00 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Opted for Vuelta Cora Lites on my 1987 Raleigh. Around $230 on Nashbar about 3 years ago. Very light and spin up quickly. I learned one of the reasons they are so light is by using alloy nipples. 2nd season dodging potholes in western Mass and broke my first spoke on these wheels. It appears to have failed at the nipple. Installed a new spoke and the rest of the nipples started crumbling apart as I trued the wheel. I replaced all with brass Wheelsmith nipples and all good so far. Probably added 40g to the rear wheel.

My bottom line: They are great wheels for the money for hammering nice roads. I’d probably buck up for something beefier with rougher toads. BTW, I’m pushing 230 (of pure diesel power ) and I’m sure Vuelta would say all bets are off under this load.

Old 10-10-19, 05:18 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Not sure where you are but the season is ending and you can likely pick up a nice used set over the winter. Something like a pair of Zondas or Fulcrum 3s would tick the box for you.

Edit: Texas. The season is all year then. Nevermind. Just keep your eyes peeled on craigslist for a good deal.

Last edited by Narhay; 10-10-19 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-10-19, 08:20 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Not sure where you are but the season is ending and you can likely pick up a nice used set over the winter. Something like a pair of Zondas or Fulcrum 3s would tick the box for you.
Or Mavic Cosmics. I'm a big fan of Mavic in general, so...
Old 10-10-19, 02:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Yup, I considered TT/tri-bike stuff since some folks lose interest or get upgrade fever. But there's no particular season here since we have plenty of good riding weather all year.

In fact, that's how I got this pair of Bontrager sorta-aero wheels and a nice batch of Ultegra and Dura Ace components -- off an aluminum frame Trek Equinox with a cracked seat tube. I tried the bike despite the crack (hairline along the top of the seat tube along the weld, probably not dangerous -- yet). Didn't care for it. Frame was too small and it felt even more unstable than bullhorns and aero bars already feel to me. If I ever do another time trial it'll be in the "Merckx" class on conventional drops, so I don't have any use for a sleek tri-bike. But the upper tier older Shimano doodads are nice.

And the wheel whetted my appetite for a little more speed. I was surprised to find a wheel considered entry level or marginal by current standards could consistently produce better results, just using the front wheel. The rear Bontrager Race Lite Aero has a 10-speed cassette which isn't compatible with either of my other road bikes. So I'm saving that for a Diamondback Podium I'm building up from bits and bobs scrounged from that cracked Trek tri-bike. Should be fun. But that featherweight Diamondback frame makes me nervous. I'll always feel more secure on a good steel frame, especially on rougher roads. And the Ironman is a very satisfying frame, like most of that era from every good maker -- a nice compromise between geometry, speed, handling and long distance comfort.

Checking craigslist bike parts category today (which I rarely remember to do), I see a fellow selling a batch of wheels including some on my wish list, for around $100 or less. I've bought from him before a couple of years ago so I may take a look at those wheels.

And on Amazon I see a couple of discontinued Vuelta wheelsets marked down about 50%, with free shipping. Even if they don't offer much aero advantage that's still a great price for a wheelset.
Old 10-10-19, 03:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by plonz
Opted for Vuelta Cora Lites on my 1987 Raleigh. Around $230 on Nashbar about 3 years ago. Very light and spin up quickly. I learned one of the reasons they are so light is by using alloy nipples. 2nd season dodging potholes in western Mass and broke my first spoke on these wheels. It appears to have failed at the nipple. Installed a new spoke and the rest of the nipples started crumbling apart as I trued the wheel. I replaced all with brass Wheelsmith nipples and all good so far. Probably added 40g to the rear wheel.

My bottom line: They are great wheels for the money for hammering nice roads. I’d probably buck up for something beefier with rougher toads. BTW, I’m pushing 230 (of pure diesel power ) and I’m sure Vuelta would say all bets are off under this load.
Good point. I see from a couple of wheel makers they offer both brass and alloy nipples. I weigh 150 and so far haven't broken much from regular use -- one broken spoke in 4 years on a cheap single wall rim on my errand bike. But I'd probably go for the brass just for the durability.

Most of the high value wheelsets I've seen in the sub-$300 range use low profile rims, 32 or 36 regular spokes, no 16-24 flat aero spokes. I already have a couple of good sturdy Araya and Wolber wheelsets like that. I'm mostly interested in trying something a little different. But I'm too cheap to commit. Worst customer ever.
Old 10-10-19, 08:30 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
only moderate aero...

...but I've been v. happy with my campy Zondas.

...about 320usd at probikekit.com right now.
Pair weighs about 1550g. front 24mm deep, rear 28mm.

or^^^campy Scirocco's....about 240usd at probikekit.com right now.
Pair weighs about 1775g. Deeper rims, at 35mm.

both wheelsets are c17, to enhance profile of 25-28c tire choices , and grip/handling.

Last edited by chainwhip; 10-10-19 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 09:02 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I bought a set of Vuelta XRP wheels from bikesdirect a couple years ago on sale for only $150. I've put about a thousand miles using them on a 1987 Centurion Ironman. They are very nice wheels. Only thing is. They were covered all over with vinyl name brand stickers. But, they peeled right off and wheels look much better without them.
Old 10-11-19, 12:19 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I'll 2nd the guys advising to find take offs from a local upgrader.

Just got the used el-cheapo mavic 32 spoke 30mm ish set locally for one of my kids.. all in with new tubes tires and cassette probably was $80. That low spoke count stuff you can score some of that pretty cheap too, and it does look cooler.. but I don't know about that low count stuff, makes me nervous. If you haven't, check out letgo and offerup in addtion to the craig.
Old 10-11-19, 03:00 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I see a lot of wheel sets in this 150 to 200$ range on ebay that ship from SE Asia.. I'm assuming those are all knockoffs though.. anybody have any experience with those things? I tend to stick to used stuff because I figure less chance the name on it is fake..