Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

No Quick Release Wheel in Salsa Vaya

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 10-11-19, 06:39 PM
Love_Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just noticed no Quick Release Wheel in front of Salsa Vaya 2019. The back has the Quick release lever. Any idea why this common feature was not provided? Thanks

Last edited by Love_Bikes; 10-11-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 07:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
Thru axle?
Old 10-11-19, 08:35 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
From the 2019 Vaya build kit

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/2019_vaya_105

I think all the carbon forks on the Vaya were thru axle, while the steel forks (no longer offered) were QR.

Last edited by katsup; 10-11-19 at 10:46 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For katsup:
Old 10-12-19, 12:18 AM
tofudog415

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thru axles are supposedly better at handling the braking forces that come with disc brakes, especially in the front. While highly unlikely, it is possible for these forces to cause a quick release wheel to come undone. I don’t know why Salsa didn’t just go with thru axles on both front and rear on the Vaya.
Old 10-12-19, 01:04 PM
Love_Bikes

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I now understand and thanks
Old 10-12-19, 06:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

You are fortunate they stepped up to at least a front thru axle. QRs and disc brakes are an unhappy match, especially on the front.
Old 10-14-19, 12:28 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You are fortunate they stepped up to at least a front thru axle. QRs and disc brakes are an unhappy match, especially on the front.
Why do you say that? I’ve never had a problem with mine.
Old 10-14-19, 12:32 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Why do you say that? I’ve never had a problem with mine.
Most folks haven’t either. But the internet is famous for people repeating what someone else says without fact checking or trying it themselves. Cycling is no exception. 90% of the opinions online are just that, opinions.
Old 10-14-19, 01:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

My experience with QR and discs was that the caliper often needed to be realigned when the front wheel was removed/replaced. A small variation that would be acceptable with rim brakes would cause rubbing with the discs. Not a safety issue but an annoyance.
Old 10-14-19, 04:45 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
My experience with QR and discs was that the caliper often needed to be realigned when the front wheel was removed/replaced. A small variation that would be acceptable with rim brakes would cause rubbing with the discs. Not a safety issue but an annoyance.
That's literally never happened to me once. I wouldn't group all QR disc setups into the same bunch.
Old 10-14-19, 05:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Good to hear! FWIW, it doesn't seem there will be any question going forward. Seems as if manufacturers are going to T/A when their stock of older frames is exhausted.
Old 10-14-19, 06:10 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I have a 2014 Vaya with discs and QR F&R, and I speak from personal experience when I say I loathe QR and disc. The steel fork on that bike flexes and causes brake rub in most corners. Also it winds up and judders under hard braking. Would an equivalent thru-axle steel fork rub less - yes. Would a rotationally-stiffer QR carbon fork rub less - yes. Would a stiffer carbon TA fork rub - probably not ever.

Do note that I'm 200+ lbs, and most of my riding on that bike was with 50+ lbs of gear. If I take off the luggage and lose 50 lbs, no problem LOL

Last edited by fourfa; 10-14-19 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 06:28 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
I have a 2014 Vaya with discs and QR F&R, and I speak from personal experience when I say I loathe QR and disc. The steel fork on that bike flexes and causes brake rub in most corners. Also it winds up and judders under hard braking. Would an equivalent thru-axle steel fork rub less - yes. Would a rotationally-stiffer QR carbon fork rub less - yes. Would a stiffer carbon TA fork rub - probably not ever.

Do note that I'm 200+ lbs, and most of my riding on that bike was with 50+ lbs of gear. If I take off the luggage and lose 50 lbs, no problem LOL
No problem with brake rub or "judder" with my steel fork 2017 Vaya (59.5cm). I don't ride with 50lbs of gear, but I am 225lbs. I assume you ruled out the common causes of this.

I've only experienced judder with a cantilever bike, but I didn't have the threaded headset snug enough.
Old 10-14-19, 08:38 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
I have not experienced such a problem with QR and disc brakes.
I remove my wheels quite a bit as my 650b gravel bike also folds.
Using TPR Spyre which are dual actuated cable brakes so I'd expect it to be better than one sided actuation of many of the other cable disc brakes.
Old 10-15-19, 06:19 AM
SilverRubicon

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
I have not experienced such a problem with QR and disc brakes.
I remove my wheels quite a bit as my 650b gravel bike also folds.
Using TPR Spyre which are dual actuated cable brakes so I'd expect it to be better than one sided actuation of many of the other cable disc brakes.
I've had the same issue with QR and disc brakes. Made thru-axles a priority on later purchases and haven't had the problem. I don't have a huge sample size though.
Old 10-16-19, 06:34 AM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 2016 Specialized Crux. A definite huge annoyance.
Old 10-17-19, 11:42 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
My Warbird with front thru-axle will occasionally start to rub after reinstalling the front wheel, so thru-axle is no fix either. Both TA and QR rely on you having the bikes weight on the wheel and ensuring the wheel is fully seated before tightening the axle down so I've really seen no benefit from TA and it's slower.

My other disc equipped bike has QR and rarely has any rub. If it does, it's got mech discs so a few clicks fixes things.
Old 10-17-19, 01:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I like TA in theory, but my only bike with TA front and rear has annoying skewers. The Fox skewers are ridiculous, I had to go watch a youtube just to figure out how to take them apart. And the Salsa one on the back is nearly as bad, it combines a QR with a TA and I never seem to be able to get it right. I don't quite see why they aren't all like the DT Swiss style where you just tighten down the skewer and go.
Old 10-17-19, 03:44 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
My first gravel bike, Giant TCX SLR 2, had mech discs and QR skewers. It was a bit fidly to get the wheels like up perfectly to avoid any issues. My new gravel bike, Niner RLT 9 RDO, has thru-axles with 15mm front and 12 mm rear. They are bolt on thru axles, no QR mix levers. They are quite solid and I've had zero alignment issues even with some very heavy off road riding. With a 15mm front, the fork is rock solid.
Old 10-17-19, 05:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,544 Posts
Yes. This isn't a convenience issue, just simple physics. If you stop hard enough and the QR isn't tight enough, the fork WILL lift off the axle. Not maybe, will. If you have not seen this happen, good for you. You have respected the two "enough"s in the previous sentence.

(I will forever be puzzled why they didn't just mount the caliper in front, similar to the rear. Then the same forces are pushing the fork down harder onto the axle. I know one of the thoughts with mountain bikes was less likelihood of snagging the caliper on brush, etc. but on the road?)

Ben
Old 10-17-19, 09:40 PM
csrpenfab

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
QR and disc brakes are fine with the right dropout orientation. TA is in the same safety hedge that tapered steerers and full-carbon forks are currently a part of.

There is no mechanism in TA that creates repeat-ability of axle placement and subsequently, rotor/caliper alignment. TA has erroneously been given credence for something more to do with being paired with hydraulic discs than anything else. If you're having an issue with caliper/rotor alignment the answer is to witness mark the hub locknuts and place them in the same orientation each time the wheel is installed - same for both QR and TA.
I’ll have to disagree with you on that. Thru axle perfectly locates the axle and rotor with no variance. The reason you won’t find TA on cheaper bikes is because it requires perfect alignment of the fork and frame dropouts; which is more costly. Done right, TA provides a secure and easily repeatable alignment that is much more secure than a QR.

I have several bikes with QR and a few with TA, and I’d take TA over QR any day.
Old 10-18-19, 05:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I won't pretend to be qualified to discuss the physics involved in either system, but it seems as if folks who are (manufacturers) have moved to TA for discs. I'm happy with QRs on my rim brake bikes and the TA on my one disc brake bike. This will soon be fodder for C&V discussion
Old 10-18-19, 07:50 PM
csrpenfab

Agreed. There’s no play in a properly set up TA and good hub. I have both QR and TA, and given the choice I’d always choose TA for security. Also, good luck finding any decent high end disc bike that’s still running QR’s.
Old 10-19-19, 11:29 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
the advantages of having precision steering from a thru axle far out weighed the annoying factor of misaligned brakes of the QR & disc brake marriage.

as in even if QR worked perfectly every time, I'd still want thru axle. Once you have experienced it going back to QR is super hard!! I'd give up disc brakes and go back to rim brakes if I had to have a QR fork.

Physics be damned. I just know what is nice, and what is annoying.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-19-19, 11:39 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Love_Bikes
I just noticed no Quick Release Wheel in front of Salsa Vaya 2019. The back has the Quick release lever. Any idea why this common feature was not provided? Thanks
It cost the manufactures too much money to redo the frames, so many still have QR on the rear.

Only an Issue when it comes to upgrading wheels. and then dealing with end caps etc.....

Or worse. People like TREK selling Boost spacing QR rear hubs. Now try to find an Upgrade boost spacing QR hub.... (a hub is possible out there, but a premade upgraded wheelsset, isn't going to happen)

Personally I won't buy a new bike at new bike prices unless the entire thing is updated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.