Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Want new rear wheel on Schwinn Discover Mens bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-08-17, 10:46 AM
bgc1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tire reads "(40-622) 700 X 38C" Rim is a SWIFT ARRIV and reads "700c/622"

I'm a big (300lbs) and, unfortunately, financially constrained biker. I broke spokes on the rear wheel and want something more durable. Maybe something with more spokes? What size rim/wheel should I look for and where should I go to get it? It is rim brake without quick release with 21 total gears (7 on the rear).

Thanks for you help
Old 08-08-17, 11:28 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Being it's a 7 speed, we need to confirm the width between drop outs.
Remove the rear wheel and measure the inside spacing between the drops.
It should be 126, 130 or 135mm
Or about 4-15/16, 5-1/8 or 5-5/16".

It appears that's a 28 pair spoke wheel? You want 36 minimum at your weight. Maybe more if you ride rough roads or carry extra weight on the back.

Likely, it has a 7 speed Free Wheel rather than a cassette, but check. Cassette hubs are less prone to bend/break axles, so that's what I'd recommend, but you would also have to buy a cassette and have it installed.
See here for how to tell the diff-
Freewheel or Cassette?

Are there any brand/model#'s on the HUB?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-08-17 at 11:38 AM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-10-17, 08:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
I'll add to Bill's good reply in saying that the parts alone don't control the final product. The assembly (or the wheel build up) has a great inpart too. So most prebuilt, low cost, wheels see minimal attention to anything beyond being straight enough to look good at the point of sale. Some shops will spend a few minutes to further true an "over the counter wheel". A few might also check/correct/add lube to the hub bearings and see if more then minimal spoke tension is achievable.

Even with a well built/tensioned wheel with many spokes and a solid rim will fatigue as it goes through the many thousands of cycles of stress riding produces. A large/heavy rider/load will only quicken this. A rider who learns to pedal smoothly and "ride light" will find their bike to last a lot longer and work better the entire time then a rider who sits heavily in the saddle all the time and over uses their upper body to power the bike. Andy.
Old 10-12-19, 03:43 PM
DanClay

Bikes: Trek, Nishiki, Avalon, Diamondback, 6 Schwinns

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What did you go with? I’m having the same problem
Old 10-12-19, 08:39 PM
HillCusser

Bikes: '93 Trek 520, '98 Trek 1220, '01 C-dale T800

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh in at about 240lbs., and ride with loaded panniers: I wouldn't consider less than 36 spoke wheels.
Here's wheels I'm considering for my 1997-98 C-dale hybrid. It still has it's original 7 gears in the back, but I think it's time to upgrade to 8 or 9 with a new r. derailleur. It seems that decent 26" rim brake wheels are getting tougher to find.

from Tree Fort Bikes
rear = Freehub (cassette) Body Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Qualit...n-Rim-26-135mm

front
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Qualit...in-Rim-Alex-26

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From BIKEMAN
rear ( Cassette Body Type: Shimano/SRAM 8, 9, 10 Speed )
Bikeman Quality Wheels Alex DH19 Black / Shimano Deore Rear Wheel - 26", QR x 135mm, Black, 36h

front
Bikeman Quality Wheels Front Wheel Mountain Rim Alex 26" 100mm 36h DH19 Black / Shimano Deore Black / DT Stainless Steel Silver

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Universal Cycles =
Shimano LX/Velocity Dyad Rear Wheel - 26"
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84309

front
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84308

universal cycles wheel builders
https://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SideLineSwap
https://sidelineswap.com/gear/bikes/...ack-heavy-duty

Last edited by HillCusser; 10-12-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 03:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Is this your bike?

If so, it is using 24 spoke wheels that are paired - about the worst/weakest setup for a big person. You'll want a 36 spoke wheel with even spoke spacing.

As an aside, 700c is a number used in an old French wheelsizing system. It is still commonly used, although the international standard organisation (ISO) designation is 622, which is the diameter in mm of the "Bead Seat Diameter" of the rim. 700c means the same thing as ISO 622. All you need to know is that your bike uses 700c /ISO 622 rims. You want to duplicate that in your new wheels so that your brakes work without readjustment.

The 38 in the tire size is the approximate width of the tire. A 38mm tire will be happy in a rim that has an internal rim width somewhere around 19mm. You're probably ok with a rim width of 17 to 23mm. Bigger (22mm) would be very good. Check with the seller.

There are two designs for the rear cogs. There is a setup that allows these to spin backwards, but when you pedal, a ratchet with pawls engages to push you forward. The two designs are freewheel, the old system, in which the ratchet mechanism and all the cogs are assembled in a unit (the freewheel) and the freewheel is screwed on. The other system is more modern. It's called a freehub. In this system the ratchet is built into the wheel and you assemble the cogs (collectively called the "cassette") onto the wheel directly. This is called a freehub. For a 7 speed, I think that you're talking a freewheel, not a freehub. But you should make sure. You want to reuse the freewheel or the cassette to save money and you can't put a cassette onto a freewheel hub, nor a freewheel on a freehub wheel. Perhaps check with a bike shop? If you do, they may have a good alternative. Freehubs themselves vary between brands, so the bike shop or coop may be able to tell you the type of freehub you need. I think that its a Shimano.

So you need a 700c/622 rear wheel with an internal rim width of about 17-23mm, and either a freehub built in or that is threaded for a freewheel.

Some desirable things which may or may not be available in a budget wheel:
Stainless spokes are better than chromed steel (called UCP by some)
Butted spokes (with thinner cross-section in the center than at the ends) are better. Yes, even for big guys. Maybe especially for big guys.

If you have a freewheel wheel, a cheap alternative is:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-WEI-AS23X-Alloy-Silver-spokes/dp/B000AO3GES?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000AO3GES

Chromed steel spokes, not stainless. But its 50 bucks, free delivery.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-15-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 06:18 PM
DanClay

Bikes: Trek, Nishiki, Avalon, Diamondback, 6 Schwinns

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I called schwinn customer service and they are sending me replacement wheels (complete minus freewheel) for under $40 ! The rear will be 36 spoke and the front 32 spoke. I don’t know why they are different but they are both more than 24s so I’m happy.
Likes For DanClay:
Old 10-16-19, 08:32 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by DanClay
I called schwinn customer service and they are sending me replacement wheels (complete minus freewheel) for under $40 ! The rear will be 36 spoke and the front 32 spoke. I don’t know why they are different but they are both more than 24s so I’m happy.
Good to hear.
Thread closed

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01: