Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New PBN10 (I think) to play with

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New PBN10 (I think) to play with

Old 10-10-19, 06:47 AM
hokiefyd

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 1997 Trek 750, 1981 Peugeot PBN10, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Pop out the pivot bolt. Look at this pic and notice the "flats" on either side of the nipple at the end of the "Prestige" bolt: https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8561/2...6545f42e_b.jpg

Make sure of three things: (1) The edges of that flat aren't rounded, (2) the washer it interacts with aren't rounded and (3) take the bolt and its corresponding washer and insert one into the other, it shouldn't be able to spin at all, the flats should lock it into place.
Mine looks like the SX610 bolt pictured above -- it's completely round and doesn't appear to have any flats (and it appears to not have been designed that way). The thing that looks interesting to me is the pigtail on the spring. One end is straight perpendicular to the coil -- this end faced the outside and engaged the hole in the bolt. The end that was engaged with the rear of the derailleur (the actual knuckle casting) has that 45-degree pigtail to it (seen in the last photo), and that doesn't seem to want to engage in its hole in the knuckle. I don't know if part of this pigtail broke off or if this is how it's supposed to be and there's a trick to getting it started. As I said, I really haven't looked deep into this, yet, but I truly appreciate your comments and leads on it.

Old 10-10-19, 07:39 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Duh. Sorry, I forgot yours had a claw also. Sorry for the misinformation.

But at any rate, yes, both ends of the tension spring should be perpendicular. One side is bent thus not fitting in where it should. I'd need to whip out one of mine in the shop to remind myself how to properly tension after repairing the spring. I need to play with it for a minute every time before it finally dawns on me.
Old 10-14-19, 06:11 AM
hokiefyd

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 1997 Trek 750, 1981 Peugeot PBN10, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

I got this bike back on the road this weekend. I cleaned up the wheels and scrubbed the Pasela tires (mostly removing rubber stains on the gum casing). I cleaned the ISO-threaded Atom freewheel and hub. The freewheel is a compact 6-speed (Ultra spacing), but the axle was spaced to 126mm (frame is 120mm). Seeing no reason I couldn't just re-space the axle to 120mm, I did that (and it works fine). I replaced all inner cables and used some of the existing cable housing and some from my basement where the existing was rusty. I'm also not really into drop bars, so I removed the drop bar and stem and replaced it with a French stem and bar I had in my basement and I got basic friction thumb shifters on it and short pull levers for the brakes. I wanted to get it into the basic setup that I would use if I kept the bike, at minimal cost other than my time.

And I'm not really feeling it so far, unfortunately. This bike doesn't have the high offset raked fork that my '70 UO-18 has. I think much of Peugeot's basic geometry changed around the 1979-1980 time frame, to more upright angles with lower offset forks. This bike doesn't have the same ride quality that the mixte has. Not helping things are the 28mm tires and rims which have a very slight hop to them (both of them). I couldn't call the hop much worse than I've seen with some other bikes (it's pretty minor, to be honest), but you definitely feel it with the small high pressure tires. I'm more of a balloon tire guy, and generally fit the widest tires I can on a bike (my mixte has 35-622s up from 32-630s stock). I can't go much wider than 28mm tires on this PBN10, not keeping the 622mm wheels anyway. I could probably go up to a 38 on a 584mm wheel, but I'd some pretty long brakes (possibly longer even than RACERs), and that'd be an expense on a bike that I'm not sure I'm in love with in the first place. I'm not sure if the uncomfortable ride (to me) is due more to the frame geometry or the small tires. I don't even have them inflated that high for the shake down ride (50 pounds front, 60 pounds rear, and I weigh 235 pounds). If I were going to really ride this, I'd probably go closer to 60/80 on the inflation, further compromising the ride.

I could swap these wheels over to my mixte and see how it rides with them. That would help me determine what's really at the root of the difference.

On the SX410 derailleur, I have seen new OEM springs for these on eBay, and both spring pigtails are straight and perpendicular to the spring. So I may have irreversibly janked up my OEM spring by touching that bolt. That's a first-timer mistake I won't make again!
Old 10-16-19, 05:13 PM
hokiefyd

I've done some playing around with this bike, and I think I'm in a happy place with it.

First off, I moved the PBN10's wheels and 28mm tires over to my UO-18, and I immediately noticed the ride penalty (vs. the 35mm tires I have on it). So I wanted to try those wheels and tires on the PBN10, to see if I liked the bike better. Short answer: I definitely do. Long answer: it took some reconfiguring to get there.

The frame itself has clearance for these tires, but only if I slide the axle all the way to the rear of the dropout. I can't use the claw adapter, at least with its little mounting bolt. But I can use the claw adapter if I remove that bolt, and just clamp it with the skewer. This makes installing the wheel a little fiddly, but it does work, at least just to try the fit. These 35mm tires actually measure about 32mm, and they fit perfectly in the frame. With the claw adapter's mounting bolt in place, the axle moves forward about half an inch or so, and there is not enough clearance between the chain stays. So this works...for now. I'd like to find a more permanent solution. I thought I could find frame-building parts online (like a dropout hanger one could braze on to the frame, but I came up empty. Does anyone have any ideas for this? Or is the way I have it now about the best I'll be able to do?

I found a janky old ISO 22.2mm stem in a parts bin that slides just far enough into the French steerer to cover the minimum insertion line, so I have that installed so I can ride it with some MTB-style bars for now. My ultimate goal is to run a nice silver anodized stem with some silver anodized mustache or north road bars or something. But I'm getting it to where I'm liking it. It rode pretty well for me today, and it's comfortable.

Thoughts on my derailleur situation? I suppose IGH is a possibility. Or maybe I could drill a hole a tap M6 or M8 threads into the back of that dropout, to sort of mount it where it sits now?