Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Climbs in the Bay Area

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Climbs in the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 08:44 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Climbs in the Bay Area

I suppose this really belongs in the Northern California section but I thought the rest of you would also enjoy/appreciate this, as questions about riding/climbing in our area frequently come to this forum as well.

This is a great set of photos from the recent "Low-Key Hillclimb" series, 7 weeks of some of the most popular climbs in the (mostly south) San Francisco Bay Area: Enjoy....

Unfortunately I was unable to participate personally due to a knee injury (been out since late September), though several of my riding buddies got in on (and did very well in) the series.
Old 11-25-06, 10:52 PM
grinderbob
coffee bean grinder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's a guy in the low key climbing Montebello event that looks like floyd landis. The guy was in webcor green jersey
Old 11-25-06, 11:34 PM
bayareawheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there i am!

was a little dissapointed in my performace but had a great time!
time was 1:30
Old 11-25-06, 11:53 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bayareawheeler
there i am!

still recovering from your win at LOTOJA.
Old 11-28-06, 09:37 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Another very nice climber is Bolinas-Fairfax Rd. It's just awesome this time of year, although with some occasional leaves and other road debris. Park in Fairfax, get on Bolinas Rd, take it all the way out to Bolinas, have some food and hang, then turn around and go back the same way. Or on the way back turn off on Pantoll and continue to Panoramic, pass the Mt Tam road turn off (or head up to the peak if you have time and legs), then down Sequoia Rd to Mill Valley and cruise the mostly flat street grid back to Fairfax.
Old 11-28-06, 09:38 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of Northern Cal. climbs, I did OLH today (twice) and nearly froze. It was so stinking cold!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-06, 10:25 PM
Anbaric Cog
just your average Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear 'nother

Thanks for the great picutures, I really enjoyed the range of bicyclists and the looks of accomplishment to pain.

a.c.
Old 11-30-06, 12:07 AM
zzzz
asleep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bayareawheeler
I was also disappointed in my performance, and after reading this, more so because I was a bit behind you in 1:31. It was my first time on my road bike since, uh... the last time I visited my parents in San Jose, so August 2005, but I wouldn't have thought before the ride that I would so far (16 minutes) behind the winner. The winner could have taken a leisurely shower, changed, and eaten lunch by the time I made it up there. I guess lack of bike training (my only riding is commuting to work May-October on my mt. bike, but it's only 1.5 miles one way), extra pounds on my body (+15-20 lbs) and my old race bike (23-24 lbs), and being off-form in general since an illness a couple of years ago has caught up to me. Boy, I'm full of excuses and run-on sentences.

I've only done about one or two rides a year since 1999 because I keep my road bike at my parent's place and I live in AK, but mainly because I run/xc ski with my dog and she can't keep up if I bike. I'm probably crazy for starting to collect parts for a new bike because I won't be doing much riding, but it'll be nice to hit some hill climb bike races when I'm in better shape. I figured a 17 lb bike would have saved me about 2:20 and leapfrogged me 7 places in the results on Mt. Hamilton. But what a nice day for a bike ride! I've never seen so many cyclists going up and down a climb.

Team Used to Ride.
Old 11-30-06, 12:24 AM
CarreraGT612hp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about northern bay area? there's mt. tam, paradise, fairfax, and other cool places to ride.
Old 11-30-06, 08:56 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CarreraGT612hp
what about northern bay area? there's mt. tam, paradise, fairfax, and other cool places to ride.
Of course. But they are not part of the Low Key Hill Climb series. That's what this thread is about. Sorry if I misled you with the title.

zzzz, don't feel bad -- at least you got to ride! I had to suffer through just looking at pictures and video and listening to my riding buddies talk about it, been out with injuries for a while. Hoping to do it next year, though.