Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Performance Work stands

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Performance Work stands

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 02:33 PM
Stoeger
Retro Grouch member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Work stands

What's the general consensus on Performance work stands? I'm looking for something reasonably priced and portable.
Old 04-13-07, 03:44 PM
Stoeger
Retro Grouch member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking this: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4216

Or this: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...e.cfm?SKU=3636
Old 04-13-07, 03:45 PM
Anbaric Cog
just your average Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of the "Spin Doctor" stands. I wasn't sure how much I'd use a stand, but now I find that I use it all the time. It is ok, but I would probably get the Park pro model if I did it again.

Going from my real bike to the commuter to the kid's bike makes me want the Park Clamp.

a.c.
Old 04-13-07, 04:32 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ime, a workstand is worth investing in for quality...

if you can afford it, get something like the G3:

my first workstand was the 'essential' stand; i use that now for washing the bikes outside and do all my shop work on the G3...

camp on performance as the G3 regularly goes on super sale, and if you can catch it when there are performance coupons out there it can be had extra cheap...
Old 04-13-07, 05:04 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoeger
Stay away from that one. Mine lasted 3 months before the cheaply made plastic and pot metal clamp broke. I returned it and traded up to the Ultimate. Problem solved.

S. J. Perelman
Old 04-13-07, 05:09 PM
jinws
one good leg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Stay away from that one. Mine lasted 3 months before the cheaply made plastic and pot metal clamp broke. I returned it and traded up to the Ultimate. Problem solved.
same here, mine broke a few months after I got it. Picked up a Spin doctor G3 for $140, and it's great.
Old 04-13-07, 05:23 PM
Silver Litz

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two of Performance's stands, the cheap Essentials and the top of the line G3 Pro.

I have had the Essentials stand for 5 years and its great. I had to get the G3 stand at the end of last year because my new bike Cervelo Soloist Carbon's bottom bracket shell was too large to fit in the Essentials stand.

If you have a normal sized bottom bracket shell, I would highly recommend the Essentials stand, as the bike will not wobble as much when you work on the bike (the bottom bracket shell sits in craddle on the stand). If you get the Essentials, I would recommend slipping a tube sock over the down tube support and pad the clamp, so you don't scratch your frame.

I clamp my SLC by its seat post on the G3. The G3 is much more flexible in the clamping options and would be much less likely to tip if hit (its tripod legs have > 4 ft. diameter).
Old 04-14-07, 08:35 AM
FizzyPop
Pedestrian Like

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Big Sky SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered the Park PCS-9 from Alfred E Bike, $87.49 shipped. That was the best price I have found on it and seemed to get decent reviews. I'll update you on it when it arrives if interested.
Old 04-14-07, 08:52 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
+1

i have the performance spin doctors stand and it blows. it is pain to adjust the clamp and get the bike in and out of it. i would pass on it for sure. later.
Old 04-14-07, 09:21 AM
eandmwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G3 is the way to go if you can swing it. Very stable, solid clamp. Forget the little tool bin if you seat post clamp, as it will be sideways...
Old 04-14-07, 10:38 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've got the Spin Doctor Pro which seems totally adequate. My only complaint is sometimes I have balance issues but that may just be an inherent flaw in the tripod design. It's mainly a problem when I set it up in the backyard on unlevel ground.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.