Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

gravelly sound in certain cassette cogs with new 9S cassette & chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 10:35 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I just installed a new 9 speed KMC X9 chain and a Shimano Ultegra 6500 9 speed 12-23 cassette on my road bike. I had to tweak the index adjuster knob on the rear derailleur to make sure it shifted cleanly. I'm pretty sure I got it mostly spot on. My problem is limited to a grindy or gravelly sound in certain middle cogs when in my middle chainring mostly. I am using an Ultegra 6603 triple crank. I did not play around with the "B" screw. My rear derailleur is an Ultegra 6500 GS long cage. I did remove links from the chain to match the previous chain. I just returned from a 38 mile ride and mostly everything is bliss. I could have sworn that the grindy sound I was hearing on the bike stand died down pretty quick, like the new chain just needed to be put under load in order to mesh fully with the cassette cog teeth. But then when I thought is was a non-issue, I seemed to detect the grindy sound continuing.
I was just curious what other's new chain/cassette install experiences have been. I've never used Shimano branded chains with my triple Ultegra / Dura Ace 9 speed drivetrain. I have also experienced the same sound with other chains I have used such as Wipperman and IRD. It didn't do it too much with the SRAM PC991 that I last ran, but that chain seemed to have lasted only 3,000 miles or so before becoming overstretched. So now I'm giving the KMC X9 "vivid" a try.
Could folks provided some comparison/feedback about what degree of chain/cog perfection you typically attain? Thanks, from Bill.
Old 04-12-17, 10:49 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's like the problem I have with the bikes down at the beach house. Sand gets in the drivetrain & I get a grinding sounds. Sand just sticks all over the chain & cassette. Have to take em off & soak em periodically.
Old 04-12-17, 10:52 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Those middle cogs may be worn. How many miles on them?
Old 04-12-17, 11:07 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
When I adjust shifting I typically start with the chain in the middle ring (assuming two up front) and the middle cog in the rear. What combination were you in when you adjusted the shifting?
Old 04-12-17, 11:14 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I just installed a new 9 speed KMC X9 chain and a Shimano Ultegra 6500 9 speed 12-23 cassette on my road bike. I had to tweak the index adjuster knob on the rear derailleur to make sure it shifted cleanly. I'm pretty sure I got it mostly spot on. My problem is limited to a grindy or gravelly sound in certain middle cogs when in my middle chainring mostly. I am using an Ultegra 6603 triple crank. I did not play around with the "B" screw. My rear derailleur is an Ultegra 6500 GS long cage. I did remove links from the chain to match the previous chain. I just returned from a 38 mile ride and mostly everything is bliss. I could have sworn that the grindy sound I was hearing on the bike stand died down pretty quick, like the new chain just needed to be put under load in order to mesh fully with the cassette cog teeth. But then when I thought is was a non-issue, I seemed to detect the grindy sound continuing.
I was just curious what other's new chain/cassette install experiences have been. I've never used Shimano branded chains with my triple Ultegra / Dura Ace 9 speed drivetrain. I have also experienced the same sound with other chains I have used such as Wipperman and IRD. It didn't do it too much with the SRAM PC991 that I last ran, but that chain seemed to have lasted only 3,000 miles or so before becoming overstretched. So now I'm giving the KMC X9 "vivid" a try.
Could folks provided some comparison/feedback about what degree of chain/cog perfection you typically attain? Thanks, from Bill.
No one here can see the source of the noise. You'll have to take your bike to somebody who can look at the problem and the derailleur adjustment.
Old 04-12-17, 01:00 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by berner
Those middle cogs may be worn. How many miles on them?
It is a brand new cassette.
Old 04-12-17, 01:09 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by revcp
When I adjust shifting I typically start with the chain in the middle ring (assuming two up front) and the middle cog in the rear. What combination were you in when you adjusted the shifting?
I think I started in the second smallest cog - the 13 tooth. And shifted through the range. I have the Park Tools derailleur hanger adjuster. I have checked my other bikes but never checked this bike yet. Since I've had the frame since new, and I never really bumped the hanger - I just assumed it would be perpendicular & let the derailleur pulleys run concentric.
Old 04-12-17, 02:18 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Did your teenage son borrow it without telling you & ride it down a dirt road?
Old 04-12-17, 02:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you start in the middle cog can you dial it out? When you shift off the middle and then back does it come back? My experience with hanger issues is that it doesn't get better at the extremes.

Could it be the shifter? I have some well used 7 speed LX shifters I have regulated to a flat bar urban bike and there are similar alignment issues and I have to shift out and back to get them to go away.

John
Old 04-12-17, 03:51 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been having the exact same problem on a new 9-speed cassette. I'll be following this thread with interest!
Old 04-13-17, 02:10 AM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
how many kms have your chainrings done, sounding like a tractor after a new chain is fitted is usuallly my first hint that the chainrings are worn still plenty of kms left in them just noisy.
Old 04-13-17, 04:06 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by headasunder
how many kms have your chainrings done, sounding like a tractor after a new chain is fitted is usuallly my first hint that the chainrings are worn still plenty of kms left in them just noisy.
The chainrings have about 7,000 miles in them. The "tractor" noise (as you say) is eminating from the rear cassette area - specifically the 19 & 21 teeth cogs I believe.
Old 04-13-17, 04:34 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The chainrings have about 7,000 miles in them. The "tractor" noise (as you say) is eminating from the rear cassette area - specifically the 19 & 21 teeth cogs I believe.
Get a new cassette and chain.

Sorry, my bad. I forgot you had already installed a new chain and cassette.

Last edited by revcp; 04-13-17 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 05:43 AM
Matt Gaunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 6603 cranks on two of my bikes, both of which run 10s Ultegra cassettes and chains. Installing a new chain and cassette on either bike means perfect shifting and consistent cog/chain meshing all through the cassette range.

Without seeing the bike or hearing the noise you're describing, this suggestion may be way off, but have you checked that your derailleur hanger is straight? Indexing a cassette to perfection with a bent mech hanger is pretty much impossible, even if the hanger is only slightly out.
Old 04-13-17, 10:51 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by Matt Gaunt
I have 6603 cranks on two of my bikes, both of which run 10s Ultegra cassettes and chains. Installing a new chain and cassette on either bike means perfect shifting and consistent cog/chain meshing all through the cassette range.

Without seeing the bike or hearing the noise you're describing, this suggestion may be way off, but have you checked that your derailleur hanger is straight? Indexing a cassette to perfection with a bent mech hanger is pretty much impossible, even if the hanger is only slightly out.
Yeah, the derailleur hanger is going to be checked on my next day off.
To the person that said to get a new chain & cassette: I previously stated that I already did that.