Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 10-11-17, 06:52 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I'm surprised none of the major gas chains around here offer full service considering how cold our winters are - plenty of people would pay an extra buck to sit in their warm cars and play on their phones when it's -25C out.
Old 10-11-17, 08:06 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
It's basically a gas tax that provides low-skill employment. Reasonable people may think that is either a good thing or a bad thing.

My mother in law, who moved nearby after living in NJ her whole life, had to learn how to pump her own gas at the age of 70. She was terrified of it.
my father found it very irritating to have to pump his own gas--especially when he noticed it was often more expensive than full-service in NJ.

i don't think he got the concept that distance to refineries was a factor in pricing.
Old 10-11-17, 08:13 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Is Divine Comedy one of those books that everyone pretends to love to look smart but secretly nobody actually enjoys it? I enjoy reading basically anything, but I'm struggling to get this one.
I "read" The Inferno (first book) 10th grade year of high school because I thought I was so smart and understood literature. I was so lost. The copy I had was two pages. One with the English translation, one with a break down of what that page meant. I was still lost. Some of the themes were cool and to a 14/15 year old reading the gory, gruesome depictions was edgy enough to keep me entertained.

From what I understand, the enjoyment of the book can vary based on what translation you are reading.
Old 10-11-17, 08:36 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you need to keep a few pragmatic ideas in mind when tackling works of literature like Divine Comedy. Even if you are reading in the native Italian there has very likely been interpretations done on the original to modernize it. Add a layer of English language translation, some style revisions, attempts at including obscure references, etc. You'd be better off spending your time looking into what it is supposed to symbolize and why it stood through the ages instead of slipping into anonymity.

Printing was a considerable task in Dante's time. It was uncommon for the printer not to make changes as they saw fit. By printer you can assume person who was copying it by hand in many instances. Over time the collection of attributed notes and manuscripts remaining are all culled to fill in bits to the best of scholars ability with an eye towards creating a reference copy. Expect the entire history of any notable literary work to be overly complicated with human error.

Basically I've never considered reading it or numerous others like it. A two second search on Netflix would access any story line of that nature I cared to take into my home. Which might be what lead you to it in the first place.
Old 10-11-17, 09:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by miyata man
Basically I've never considered reading it or numerous others like it. A two second search on Netflix would access any story line of that nature I cared to take into my home. Which might be what lead you to it in the first place.
Taht's why you read ancient literature. And that's coming from someone who hasn't read but 15 books since I graduated high school 4 years ago and not a single lick of literature. Not bragging here, it's something I've been actively working on in my life.
Old 10-11-17, 10:12 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oddly enough I know you understand the merit of a restricted diet. You might benefit from considering applying that principled direct correlation with results towards your mental diet.

It isn't by chance GC, and numerous others here, is so witty and widely versed about the ways he enjoys life. Someone guides every young mind in the right direction or it wanders.
Old 10-12-17, 04:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
The biggest hassle with having your gas pumped for you is it takes longer. Especially at a busy station. We have a quiet little one in our neighborhood that we go to.

Everyone within spitting distance of NJ crosses the border for gas. It's much cheaper than the bordering states.
Old 10-12-17, 04:17 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Is Divine Comedy one of those books that everyone pretends to love to look smart but secretly nobody actually enjoys it? I enjoy reading basically anything, but I'm struggling to get this one.
I've read it a bunch of times. I was always a fan, but I'm probably not a very good barometer of such things.
Old 10-12-17, 06:21 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The original by Dante, or a newer version by someone else? If the original, some translations are harder to read than others. That's a general statement, I haven't read it either...but it's now on my radar.

Reading pre-20th Century lit can be hard because what was considered "an education" then is much different from what it is now. Back in that day, an educated person would be familiar with pre-Christian Greek literature and Judeo-Christian scripture and would recognize allusions to them in contemporary writing. Even when I was an undergrad ('69-'73), such stuff was considered irrelevant.

I've bounced up against this recently myself. I've been reading a collection of essays by C. S. Lewis written in the 1930's and -40's, and he was comfortable inserting quotes from Greek authors in the original Greek, with the then-reasonable expectation that his readers didn't need a translation. It sure made me feel like a dumbass.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-12-17, 06:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by revchuck
The original by Dante, or a newer version by someone else? If the original, some translations are harder to read than others. That's a general statement, I haven't read it either...but it's now on my radar.

Reading pre-20th Century lit can be hard because what was considered "an education" then is much different from what it is now. Back in that day, an educated person would be familiar with pre-Christian Greek literature and Judeo-Christian scripture and would recognize allusions to them in contemporary writing. Even when I was an undergrad ('69-'73), such stuff was considered irrelevant.

I've bounced up against this recently myself. I've been reading a collection of essays by C. S. Lewis written in the 1930's and -40's, and he was comfortable inserting quotes from Greek authors in the original Greek, with the then-reasonable expectation that his readers didn't need a translation. It sure made me feel like a dumbass.

Dante. No recollection which translation(s) I've read. We're talking a span of time now that dates back starting 30 something years.
Old 10-12-17, 08:11 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Dante. No recollection which translation(s) I've read. We're talking a span of time now that dates back starting 30 something years.
I didn't see your response before I typed, my response was to @Flatballer.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-12-17, 08:39 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What revchuck mentioned about accepting as fact that anyone who can read is a polyglot, and familiar with the canon of history and human knowledge, is exactly why I own essentially the same reference books 70-100 years removed from each other.

English is essentially a bunch of mispronounced words that found religion in diction and direct phonetic spellings from the romantic languages. In some cases the exact carryover is hilarious, add accent or subtract a heavy tongue. I'd bet a few of you are old enough to remember at least an older sibling learning Latin in school.

Last edited by miyata man; 10-12-17 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Half my post disappeared
Old 10-12-17, 11:07 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by miyata man
Oddly enough I know you understand the merit of a restricted diet. You might benefit from considering applying that principled direct correlation with results towards your mental diet.
Like I said, working on it. For now just reading for enjoyment again is helping me sleep better and stimulate the mind. I finished Phil gaimons first book last night.

Back to my sci-fi space opera now. If you've watched The Expanse on TV, I'm reading that series and greatly enjoy the drama and way it is written. It's no Dante, but it is fun to read.
Old 10-12-17, 11:39 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Haute route will be in Utah next year for those of you with the money to enter. I can't justify 800$ for three days. But if you need a Swanny I'll come play.

https://www.hauteroute.org/events/overview/utah-2018
Old 10-12-17, 11:39 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Like I said, working on it. For now just reading for enjoyment again is helping me sleep better and stimulate the mind. I finished Phil gaimons first book last night.

Back to my sci-fi space opera now. If you've watched The Expanse on TV, I'm reading that series and greatly enjoy the drama and way it is written. It's no Dante, but it is fun to read.
Read the series pre show, book 6 may be the best.
Old 10-12-17, 11:41 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a weakness for sci fi and I read basically all of it. As in, I'll scour amazon looking for stuff I haven't yet read. I enjoyed this series and am looking forward to the next one which is due out in a month or so.
Old 10-12-17, 11:44 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I have a weakness for sci fi and I read basically all of it. As in, I'll scour amazon looking for stuff I haven't yet read. I enjoyed this series and am looking forward to the next one which is due out in a month or so.
The Bobiverse series is pretty good as well.
Old 10-12-17, 11:45 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't love the show -- found it shallow and a bit silly, and badly miscast. Mike from Breaking Bad, who was in the first episode for about 20 seconds, would have been a great Detective Miller. Tom Jane did OK in the role but he's too young and not beaten down enough. The actor who played Holden was way too lightweight and the character of Bobbie was just completely misinterpreted IMO.
Old 10-12-17, 11:47 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by furiousferret
The Bobiverse series is pretty good as well.
Read em Light fare, but I enjoyed how the author didn't really seem to care about tying all of the narratives together, it was like 20 short stories all told a chapter at a time.

My all-time fav is Iain Banks. I hope against hope to someday come across an author whose work I enjoy as much as I loved the Culture series.
Old 10-12-17, 12:11 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just for fun, here's every book I have read so far in 2017.

https://goo.gl/Nv3QXc
Old 10-12-17, 12:33 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've read several of the Le Carre books, though I have not read that one. I enjoy them, but I do find I sometimes have trouble keeping track of all the characters.

I tend to shuttle back and forth between creative nonfiction and pulp fiction work. I've been going through a bunch of Jack Reacher novels - they are quick and easy reads. I'm now trying out Jo Nesbo now, reading one of his Harry Hole novels. They are making one into a movie. My wife found it a bit disturbing that I found Gone Girl to be pretty funny. In my mind, it was a great black comedy. The Girl on the Train was also a pretty good page turner.

For nonfiction, I've read most of Erik Larson's stuff. I couldn't put the Devil in the White City down. The Lost City of Z was also quite engaging. I've tried David McCullough to learn more about U.S. history, and some of it is good, but I honestly didn't need to read a hundred pages about how Teddy Roosevelt spent his time traveling Europe with his rich parents when he was 5.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I just finished The Grapes of Wrath. I think I tried to read it in High School, but never really did. I read Of Mice and Men a few months ago, which I enjoyed and was a very quick read, so I thought I'd give Grapes a go.
Old 10-12-17, 12:42 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Le Carre
I think half his novels are brilliant and the other half are annoying. The new one starts out brilliant and then becomes annoying. Recommendation: pass.

His son, Nick Harkaway, is pretty good and I'll read anything he writes.
Old 10-12-17, 12:45 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly expected you to reply last night so I could tell you I was just giving you a hard time. Nowhere near what Mikey saw here years ago but similar in lording something with no real response possible over the recipient. My intent was to let you off the hook right away before there was no chance of it exhibiting a sense of humor.

If after working 8 hours and riding another 3 you want to recover in front of the tv. There is nothing I or anyone else can say. It is called the idiot box for a reason though.

I've been devouring state historical society books the last year or so. Especially those on architecturally prominent structures that are no more. This has started to transition toward Indian uses for the same land.

Numerous years ago I gave all of my Beckey guides and other sought after books on the mountains to a friend. I've also restarted building a collection of these back up.

Last edited by miyata man; 10-12-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 12:59 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite author right now is someone whose published works are simply unreadable, but is brilliant at being a public speaker. I'm sure some of you will get a riot out of this given his relevance to issues raised towards my own writing. His name is Martin Amis.
Old 10-12-17, 01:00 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

We used to have a book thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.