Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Club blocking the MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Club blocking the MUP

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 09:39 PM
VeloSiDad
O2B22AgainInFrance

Bikes: 1982 Liberia triple crank (Grenoble, France), 2001 Panther Carbonore MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nomadmax
This thread is why I usually ride bike paths with the Badger

NomadMax,
No you cannot. You CANNOT put a picture of le Blaireau (the Badger) on this forum and not give us a footnote or two about the origin of the image.
I nearly snorted diet soda out of my nose.

Please, PLEASE, give us a little bit of info about such a lively picture. We want (I want) details!
Plus, the image reminds me that thirty-six years ago I was a college student in Montpellier, France . . . and weighed less than 135 lbs.
P.S. Thank you for posting such a graceful black and white picture. Quelle genérosité. Merci beaucoup, collègue.
Old 06-26-19, 06:00 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by VeloSiDad
NomadMax,
No you cannot. You CANNOT put a picture of le Blaireau (the Badger) on this forum and not give us a footnote or two about the origin of the image.
I nearly snorted diet soda out of my nose.

Please, PLEASE, give us a little bit of info about such a lively picture. We want (I want) details!
Plus, the image reminds me that thirty-six years ago I was a college student in Montpellier, France . . . and weighed less than 135 lbs.
P.S. Thank you for posting such a graceful black and white picture. Quelle genérosité. Merci beaucoup, collègue.
Here ya go

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/bernard-hinault-punch/
Old 06-26-19, 06:21 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
Never had much of a problem with groups of cyclists blocking the MUP, it’s usually families with several children riding assorted toys/bikes. However, I frequently experience peletons of wannabe TDF riders bombing down the MUP at speeds too fast for conditions, usually 20+ mph. Got bad enough to where the local heat started zapping em with lidar for exceeding the 15mph limit. From what I saw they didn’t often pick on lone riders unless they created a hazard, but focused more on the peletons of hammerheads from local groups, complete with TT bikes and aero costume.
And now Ebikes.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 06-26-19, 11:57 AM
VeloSiDad
O2B22AgainInFrance

Bikes: 1982 Liberia triple crank (Grenoble, France), 2001 Panther Carbonore MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok. Thank you for the link. I noticed on the Rouleur page that Hinault is wearing gloves which had an open-weave on the back of the hand, probably 100% cotton. Those were the days.

And to keep ON TOPIC, a slow guy like me needs to stay away from drivers who are texting. I need a MUP three to four times a week. Here is the American Tobacco Trail in Durham, Chatham and Wake counties.
American Tobacco Trail (ATT) | Triangle Rails to Trails
And let me quote: " It is always a good idea to wear blaze orange while on the ATT during deer hunting season."
Likes For VeloSiDad:
Old 06-27-19, 12:30 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
The metro Atlanta MUPs (0-0)

26 miles, on a Saturday, of MUP and bike lanes: only two adults (with a few kids); three illegally parked maintenance trucks, and a news crew covering a politician about how he "supports the people".... No groups....
Old 06-27-19, 07:28 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
This thread is why I usually ride bike paths with the Badger
Most pro cyclists aren't exactly the guys you expect to see in the boxing ring. Chris Froome doesn't have an option of changing careers to pro wrestling. But Hinault looks like a pretty powerful guy.

I had the same thing happen on the Schuylkill river trail. There's a bar on that MUP that a lot of cyclists stop at. When a group is getting ready to resume riding they'll often stand on the MUP waiting for the slowest to get their feet in the clips or whatever. Pretty rude.

I just blow through at 25 mph (all 245 pounds of me) yelling "Bad brakes! Can't stop! Keep the path clear!"

And I'm a Badger, too:

Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 06-27-19, 12:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
When a group is getting ready to resume riding they'll often stand on the MUP waiting for the slowest to get their feet in the clips or whatever. Pretty rude.

I just blow through at 25 mph (all 245 pounds of me) yelling "Bad brakes! Can't stop! Keep the path clear!"

Who exactly is rude?

-Tim-
Old 06-27-19, 12:29 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Tim, Look up the word hyperbole.
Old 06-27-19, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It is the best word ever! Worth more than all the other words combined.
Old 06-27-19, 02:48 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It is the best word ever! Worth more than all the other words combined.

Ok, that response nearly had me shoot coffee out of my nose. Well done.

BTW, I think my statement was actually "Keep the path clear, please! Comin' thru!".
Old 06-27-19, 03:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Glad to know you were not serious.

There is a lot of bluster in this thread and on the internet in general and it is often difficult to tell.

-Tim-
Old 06-27-19, 05:22 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Glad to know you were not serious.

There is a lot of bluster in this thread and on the internet in general and it is often difficult to tell.

-Tim-
If I cut out bluster, I'd be speaking 90% less than I do.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 06-27-19, 07:17 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Most pro cyclists aren't exactly the guys you expect to see in the boxing ring. Chris Froome doesn't have an option of changing careers to pro wrestling. But Hinault looks like a pretty powerful guy.

I had the same thing happen on the Schuylkill river trail. There's a bar on that MUP that a lot of cyclists stop at. When a group is getting ready to resume riding they'll often stand on the MUP waiting for the slowest to get their feet in the clips or whatever. Pretty rude.

And I'm a Badger, too:

Seriously though there is nothing sillier than a rolling(or trying to roll)spandex billboard struggling to get into his/her precious clipless pedals at every stop. This describes about 97% of every cyclist on the road btw.
Old 06-27-19, 07:26 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Seriously though there is nothing sillier than a rolling(or trying to roll)spandex billboard struggling to get into his/her precious clipless pedals at every stop. This describes about 97% of every cyclist on the road btw.
Oh I get it - hyperbole.
Old 06-27-19, 08:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Who exactly is rude?

-Tim-
Anybody that doesn't cater to my whims or yield to my sense of entitlement. The narcissist can only see from one perspective.
Old 06-28-19, 04:59 AM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Same issue, last Saturday, passing one of the many bars along our trails about 10-15 just sitting on the trail waiting for others to get ready completely oblivious. The worst part is it’s a blind spot at the top of a wooded incline that hangs left, always gotta be cautious of a drunken fool! Many times it’s people who bar cycle a mile or two and stop for a drink. The bar has a sign on the trail side for their house brew! The best part is when it’s a drunken group ride with no regard for any other rider!
Old 06-28-19, 07:20 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The solution is to stop for no one and for nothing. Mixed Martial Cycling. Hey, I think I've invented a new sport! Seriously though, I clip one foot in and that's enough to start me. The other foot takes 2-3 seconds. Is this really a problem for folks?

BTW, let's not hate on the BOGILS* now. If you're lucky, you'll be one one day...

*Big Old Geezers In Lycra Spandex.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 06-28-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 02:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The solution is to stop for no one and for nothing. Mixed Martial Cycling. Hey, I think I've invented a new sport! Seriously though, I clip one foot in and that's enough to start me. The other foot takes 2-3 seconds. Is this really a problem for folks?

BTW, let's not hate on the BOGILS* now. If you're lucky, you'll be one one day...

*Big Old Geezers In Lycra Spandex.
I have a latex sensitivity so I'm an OMICS (old man in cargo shorts). I also ride sensible flat pedals.
Old 06-28-19, 02:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Does anyone who rides trails past bars actually expect to get in a serious ride?

Incorrect expectation and poor choice of venue are the real issues here.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-28-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 10:35 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have a latex sensitivity so I'm an OMICS (old man in cargo shorts). I also ride sensible flat pedals.
I'm right there with you. They make some pretty snazzy moisture wick Dad pants that I've been eyeing up.
Old 06-29-19, 12:03 PM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Does anyone who rides trails past bars actually expect to get in a serious ride?

-Tim-
Ha, clearly never been to Iowa we have a pretty good trail system. Coincidentally most of trails pass through small towns, and through the city. Many times there is a bar right off the trail. Or right next to the trail. The trails are pretty nice, so not a poor venue just local business! Not poor expectations either just people who should be paying attention when you are in the middle of a MUP. Just like you shouldn’t stand in the middle of a busy road! But you mix alcohol and people and common sense evaporates quickly! But you are right I shouldn’t place expectations on people!

Last edited by tweekfreekdX; 06-29-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 03:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tweekfreekdX
Ha, clearly never been to Iowa we have a pretty good trail system. Coincidentally most of trails pass through small towns, and through the city. Many times there is a bar right off the trail. Or right next to the trail. The trails are pretty nice, so not a poor venue just local business! Not poor expectations either just people who should be paying attention when you are in the middle of a MUP. Just like you shouldn’t stand in the middle of a busy road! But you mix alcohol and people and common sense evaporates quickly! But you are right I shouldn’t place expectations on people!
Isn't public intoxication illegal? It is in CA. I'm pretty sure that's an expectation.
Old 06-29-19, 08:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Yeah, this is a major MUP, the Schuylkill River Trail, in a huge metropolis, Philadelphia. There just happens to be a bar on the trail, and some very inconsiderate donkey perforations who stop at those places. I do have an expectation that people - even in bars - act in a considerate manner. Obviously some don't.
Old 06-29-19, 09:16 PM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Isn't public intoxication illegal? It is in CA. I'm pretty sure that's an expectation.
Yes it is, typically you have to be pretty thrashed to earn that one, no presence from the police on the trails that I’ve seen.
Old 06-30-19, 08:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by KraneXL
An expectation of Teetotalism among cyclists (or at least those considered as "serious cyclists"), or abstinence before, during and/or after so-called "serious rides" or while on a bike trail is presumably an affection of self-professed, would-be Holy Rollers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.