Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fat Chance Build Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fat Chance Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 05:14 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Fat Chance Build Thread

Just saved this Fat Chance from an unknowing and unloving home. I plan to restore/restomod it as I go to fit my needs. The rough plan is to just get it "running" for now. Eventually, I would like to have all period correct/stock components.

Let me know of any suggestions y'all have! If you like/don't like it, components I should use, etc. I am fairly new to bikes, especially the mountain bikes of this era. However, I am not new to restorations and am capable of working on the bike myself.

Couple notes: it still has its original Maguara brake levers, and it has been converted to a 1x, with the smallest cog missing and the largest ground down as a bash guard.

These pics were taken as soon as I got the bike, with the only cleaning being the wind it got while in the bed of my truck. Check the spark plug in the pedal threads, haha.

Likes For Padgett:
Old 09-03-19, 05:42 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Subbed.
Old 09-03-19, 05:47 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,253 Posts
Yowsa, you picked a fine bike to restore.
Old 09-03-19, 06:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Yowsa, you picked a fine bike to restore.
You ain't kidding.

Pic from Chris's Bio page.

And was discussed on the last pages of below.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bikes-264.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-dump-541.html

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-04-19, 07:53 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
That's a nice one. The paint is actually in good shape for clearly being used for its intended purpose.

Love those bullet stay caps.
Old 09-05-19, 10:44 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Don't cringe I won't always wash it like this

Background- I am at college right now, meaning I only have an apartment, and I did not have an option to store a smelly bike. I cant convey the smell through pictures, but it was BAD. This was my best option.
Likes For Padgett:
Old 09-05-19, 10:45 PM
2cam16

Gotta do what you gotta do. Did it get rid of the funk?
Old 09-05-19, 10:52 PM
Padgett

@2cam16 Absolutely! Its always better when you're wrenching on a clean project too.
Likes For Padgett:
Old 09-06-19, 04:26 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
First thing, pull the seat post and bottom bracket. Check the bottom of the seat tube for rust, they like to rust through right at the bottom.
Old 09-06-19, 05:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That is an awesome bike. Old MTBs make fine gravel grinders and all around bikes. I use mine (an '87 stumpjumper sport) as a commuter as well. So welcome to the u brake club. They are not very good for offroad riding but they are otherwise fine brakes for most any other use.

If you are looking for a tough, reasonably lightweight 26 inch puffy tire, Schwalbe marathon supreme touring tires are excellent.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...waAl5vEALw_wcB

Last edited by bikemig; 09-06-19 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 12:37 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
You're gonna rebuild all those bearings right? then the power wash isn't as big of a deal. Have fun with the build FWIW I just used some Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.95 tan sidewalls from Chain Reaction cycles in the UK for about $40 shipped for a pair. I liked their look and feel.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-06-19, 03:38 PM
Padgett

@bikemig @ryansu Thanks for the tire rec's! However, I already own a road bike as a commuter, so I was thinking of something a little more aggressive.

And yes I am rebuilding the bearings, and everything else for that matter so I knew the pressure washer would be fine.
Old 09-06-19, 07:51 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
I passed on one each Fat & Chris Chance MTB & road bike over the past few years. It was the right choice, but sometimes I wish I’d been more foolish... Looking forward to seeing this one come together. Enjoy!
Old 09-07-19, 04:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
I've done the car wash thing a few times.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-12-19, 06:22 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
I got tired of going to the car wash and bought a small electric power washer for.... uh........ washing the siding. Yeah, that's it, washing the siding on the house.
Old 09-12-19, 07:51 PM
Padgett

One step forward

Alright, so I broke the bike down nut and bolt here in my apartment, used evaporust where I needed to, cleaned and repacked all bearings, and cleaned up the frame/fork/rims as best I could. I was so excited to go ride this thing and take pictures but it is not even close to done.

Even though all bearings were cleaned and repacked, I have learned they were not salvageable. I need a new headset, bottom bracket, and wheel bearings before I ride this thing. Also I would hook up the rear brake (which just has some placeholder pads in right now. Ideally I would've replaced these first thing, but im trying to stay low buck for now, and in my apt. I do not have the resources to do everything I would like to, and i would rather do it when I go home to my parents for the holidays in my dads shop. So it will most likely be until then before this thing sees some real ride time.

I am on the lookout for a Deore XT rear derailleur and shift lever at a good price.

Old 09-12-19, 07:55 PM
Padgett

Took these pics in a rush, if you think i should take a picture of something specific let me know. The seat post is stuck enough to where I cant get it out at my apartment and the LBS tried and could not get it. It is way too low for me as it sits.

Wish list/coming soon: All bearings, seat, thumb shifter/rear derailleur, seat post, tires/tubes/rim strips, and probably a few other things I cant think of right now.
Old 09-12-19, 09:07 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Man, what a fun vintage find. Is this one of the pressed in bottom bracket bikes, or threaded?
Old 09-12-19, 09:10 PM
Padgett

@AngryFrankie Pressed. Thanks man! Its gonna be a fun bike.
Old 09-12-19, 11:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Padgett
@AngryFrankie Pressed. Thanks man! Its gonna be a fun bike.
Well needless to say, you have your work cut out for you but it will be worth it if you take it slow and be patient which it seems like you are.

Get some PB Blaster on/in the SP, preferably from the bottom too, tiny squirts at the top and try to keep it off the paint, it can work miracles.

Hang in there, the Dad's shop plan is a good one, you can't have too much help, tools, resources when dealing with challenges if you want the right outcome, again patience is key.
Old 09-12-19, 11:10 PM
2cam16

I'd work on that seatpost before anything else because if you say it's too low for you, then it also sounds like the bike is too small for you.
Old 09-12-19, 11:23 PM
Padgett

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I'd work on that seatpost before anything else because if you say it's too low for you, then it also sounds like the bike is too small for you.
I have been wondering about the bike size, as I'm not sure how to judge the frame size for my body on these old MTBs. I'm 6'2" and the frame is 20" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube, along the seat post. I honestly have not looked that far ahead yet but the frame does not look too too small. Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-19, 11:30 PM
Padgett

Originally Posted by merziac
Well needless to say, you have your work cut out for you but it will be worth it if you take it slow and be patient which it seems like you are.

Get some PB Blaster on/in the SP, preferably from the bottom too, tiny squirts at the top and try to keep it off the paint, it can work miracles.

Hang in there, the Dad's shop plan is a good one, you can't have too much help, tools, resources when dealing with challenges if you want the right outcome, again patience is key.
Right! I do not want to rush it. But with time I can stockpile all the parts ill need and then knock it all out at once when I go home. In the mean time, it'll be an apartment decoration and ill mess around with the ole Schwinn.
Old 09-13-19, 12:07 AM
2cam16

I have been wondering about the bike size, as I'm not sure how to judge the frame size for my body on these old MTBs. I'm 6'2" and the frame is 20" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube, along the seat post. I honestly have not looked that far ahead yet but the frame does not look too too small. Any thoughts?
Yeah that sounds small. I'm 5'5 and my max size is a 54cm/21in, minimum around a 51 or 52cm which equates to around 20in. If you're able to unstick that seatpost, make sure there's enough left inside the seat tube after adjusting it for your height. Maybe you can ride it temporarily until you find a bike your size.
Old 09-13-19, 12:18 AM
merziac

With the post where it is,

I'm going to say it is probably well on the low end of big enough for you depending on how long your bike fit inseam really is, go to Rivendells website to figure it if you don't know or not sure. It will not tell you MTB size but we can figure it much better if we know your correct road bike size by the numbers, if it's way too small you won't may not want to do much hard off road with it but maybe putt around on it anyway.

The Merz I got is waaay to small for me and I'm not an MTB rider anyway and it doesn't matter, I can ride it around ok if I want but it's not going anywhere.

Again, and like @2cam16 said, get some PB Blaster in it and work on the SP, best would really be to fill it up upside down from the bottom for several days, hope some comes leaking through and then dribble it around/in the top for awhile too. After a long soak find a vise, strip down the seatpost and I would make some wood blocks with holes drilled to hold it solid in the vise and VERY carefully use the frame to see if it will come loose, if not stop, soak for several more days and repeat.

If you the remove the SP clamp, you may be able spread the top of the tube a bit to get more Blaster in there which can be key.

If we assume the SP is original, I would try to salvage it until there is no choice.

I realize you don't have a vise so maybe back to the shop for help if they will let you wait/watch or find a bike co-op, shared open workspace/art/project shop that you could use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.