Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

ISO 13 won't upload texts to Garmin 1000

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-20-19, 03:26 PM
neverquit

Location: Was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. For the past 30 years we have been living in Fort Smith, AR

Bikes: Two road bikes, Zanes and Specialized.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since I upgraded my iPhone X to ISO 13, I can't get it to send texts to my Garmin 1000. I removed and paired the Bluetooth to the iPhone to the Garmin, following the instructions I found on YouTube. Nope, just can't get it to send the text to the Garmin. Anyone else have this problem or can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Lloyd
Old 09-20-19, 05:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
The 1000 uses 2 BT connections, “Edge 1000” and a “BT_1000” (or something similarly named). The BLE is the low energy and the part that allows notifications. Make sure that is running in the iPhone BT configuration.

Note that that there have been a lot of issues in the past 2 iOS releases with Garmins and they have not fixed, even with new software released last week. My 1000 would not automatically make the BLE connection after the past Garmin OS update, I had to do a manual connection. This is the case as well on my 1030 which sometimes will not connect at all. Hoping Garmin gets all this fixed but in truth I’m think they are not committing the resources as the abated issues go back a few years and was one of the things DCRainmaker commented on (Livetrack) when he called out Garmin on this a few months ago.
Old 09-20-19, 06:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The new Apple operating system is getting more serious about Bluetooth security. Make sure you've given Connect permission to use BT.

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/11840...h-privacy.html
Old 09-20-19, 07:01 PM
neverquit

Location: Was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. For the past 30 years we have been living in Fort Smith, AR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Steve: Yes, the iPhone has both the BT and BLE paired. It used to work great, until IOS 13 came along. So I guess this issue is on the back burner. Sad, because I've always thought of Garmin as being the de facto leader in GPS technology. And, they may be, but they don't seem to care about purchased item.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time
Lloyd
Old 09-20-19, 07:04 PM
neverquit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, and thanks for the reply. Yes, I can connect and pair the phone and the Garmin, it just won't display the text messages. Even when I go into MISSED CALLS AND TEXTS, there aren't any to display.

Thanks
Lloyd
Old 09-20-19, 10:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Honestly this one sounds like Apple's fault (or "doing" if you prefer) if it stopped working as soon as you upgraded their software. In the business this is called a breaking change.

I bet it will get sorted out pretty quickly.
Old 09-21-19, 06:55 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by neverquit
Thanks Steve: Yes, the iPhone has both the BT and BLE paired. It used to work great, until IOS 13 came along. So I guess this issue is on the back burner. Sad, because I've always thought of Garmin as being the de facto leader in GPS technology. And, they may be, but they don't seem to care about purchased item.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time
Lloyd
There's two sides to computers. There's the hardware (the GPS), and then there's the firmware/software.

Garmin has done a tone of work on the hardware side for many years. However their cycling GPS division generally puts minimal QA effort on their firm/software. iPhone pairing in particular has been a topic of constant problems on Garmin Forums since iPhone pairing was ever a thing.
Old 09-21-19, 09:50 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Honestly this one sounds like Apple's fault (or "doing" if you prefer) if it stopped working as soon as you upgraded their software. In the business this is called a breaking change.

I bet it will get sorted out pretty quickly.
I’d like to believe that but A) Apple is notorious for making changes that sometime break a lot of the non mainstream apps. Garmin is typical. B) Garmin has had BT issues going back 2 years and they are not committing the resources to fix. DCRainmaker called them on it for issues, he mentioned LiveTrack which is a BLE related issue it seems. Thus I’m not updating my iPhone till I know that Garmin has this figured out.
Old 09-21-19, 06:15 PM
neverquit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so our group is on a ride this morning, and my wife, who is out in front, calls me on the iPhone. Interestingly, an "Incoming call" splashes on the Garmin screen! After I talked to her I asked her to send me a text to see if the text issue is working. Nope, still dead.
Old 09-22-19, 10:34 AM
Steve B.

Ok, so our group is on a ride this morning, and my wife, who is out in front, calls me on the iPhone. Interestingly, an "Incoming call" splashes on the Garmin screen! After I talked to her I asked her to send me a text to see if the text issue is working. Nope, still dead.
Without reading all the posts, any chance that iOS 13 turned off notifications for texts somewhere ?.
Old 09-22-19, 12:25 PM
neverquit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Steve: Yes, I thought that too....I looked in the settings, but didn't see anything obvious. If you have an idea, please let me know.

Thanks
Lloyd
Old 09-22-19, 12:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Very much doubt this is what's going on since it began immediately after you updated Apple's software, but the settings in Garmin Connect Mobile let you decide which apps can send notifications to your device. You might want to check and make sure your messager is one of them.
Old 09-22-19, 12:48 PM
neverquit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, went into the Mobile settings and the "iOS Notifications" is selected. Is that what you're talking about?
Old 09-22-19, 01:40 PM
Steve B.

Hi Steve: Yes, I thought that too....I looked in the settings, but didn't see anything obvious. If you have an idea, please let me know.

Thanks
Lloyd
No, no good ideas. I will wait to update to 13 till I think Garmin can talk to it. I just updated my 1030 to OS v8, no issues to date except that the 2nd “Edge 1030” BT connection will not reliably connect, actually won’t connect at all the past few times. I think this is the BLE connection that allows notifications. I can get my iQ weather app to work and the device reliably uploads so no hurry to break anything.