Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Philly Bike Expo

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Philly Bike Expo

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 09:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Philly Bike Expo

Anyone here going? I hope to and would look forward to meeting up. Andy
Old 10-02-19, 04:49 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
I'll probably be going, but not as an exhibitor. I live fairly close in South Jersey, so its less than an hour trip for me.
Old 10-02-19, 07:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Yes, I go for inspiration and to say hi to friends. I am on the prowl for frame bits though this year. With Asian food only a few blocks away Saturday dinner will be tasty too. Andy
Old 10-02-19, 08:44 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I wished they would have some Bike Show/Expos in my area or somewhere within an hour or so drive.
Are these for the open public or just for people who work for Bike shops or manufactures? Seems like that would really limit attendance...

Anyway to find out if there are?
Old 10-02-19, 10:51 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Never been before! Maybe make a day trip on the train up from DC.
Old 10-02-19, 01:20 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes, I go for inspiration and to say hi to friends. I am on the prowl for frame bits though this year. With Asian food only a few blocks away Saturday dinner will be tasty too. Andy
Reading Terminal Market is a block away, but its always a bit too crowded in there for me.

If you like German food and craft beer, Bru is just a few blocks away. BrĂ¼ Craft & Wurst - Philadelphia

For breakfast, you can't beat Green Eggs Cafe Daily Menu: Philadelphia Locations ? Green Eggs Cafe
Old 10-02-19, 02:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
Originally Posted by smullen
Are these for the open public or just for people who work for Bike shops or manufactures? Seems like that would really limit attendance...

Anyway to find out if there are?
Open to the public. there aren't any shows in your area that I know of. NAHBS moves around the country. People travel quite a ways to get to the Philly show and NAHBS. Seems like there are shows in New England and in Portland.

I should go back to Philly again, the first time I went wasn't that great for me for totally unrelated personal reasons
Old 10-02-19, 03:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Eric- Worst experience #1 in going to this show was a few years ago. I brought my bike and sought out the local club ride Sunday AM. Discovered that the club's manor of traffic interfacing (behaviors) was well off my radar. If it wasn't for being in unknown route/roads I would have turned left when they turned right.

#2 was getting the call from home that our cat was dying. Left promptly for home.

Smullen- Yes it's open to the public. In fact it's the gate $ that help the show cover the costs. A quick interweb search for bike shows might get you more information in general and Philly Bike Show specifically. https://phillybikeexpo.com/ Andy
Old 10-03-19, 05:49 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Seems like there are shows in New England and in Portland.
The Portland show fizzled a couple years ago. I displayed there the last year it was sponsored by Hopworks and it was held at their (quite large) facility. The next year I also displayed when it was at a different and smaller place, but there was still plenty of area not covered. The next year was its last (I wanna say that was 2016, but I could be off a year). I've toyed with the idea of organizing a Seattle show, but it's a lot of energy to carve out of a full time job, building, and raising a now 6-year-old.
Old 10-03-19, 08:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

I work for a shop that runs a couple of international level bike races, and a local CX series. Full Moon Vista Productions (the race company siblinged to the FMV Sport and Bike) has made almost no $ on the big events (UCI 1 or 2) and nice margin but still little $ on the local stuff. been doing it for 10+ years. Doing this kind of stuff is motivated by a passion and those who can make a living at it are few and far between. There's so much gulf between attending public's belief of profit and the reality of the costs and actual take. Of course this is independent of the time and energy which as many of us know is undervalued by those not doing the work. Andy