Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bruce Gordon fork, identification and appraisal

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 10-05-19, 12:41 PM
adlu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I made a newbie mistake and purchased a rim brake fork without asking what wheel size it was for. After I installed the fork, I put my 26" wheel on it and discovered my mistake - it's a 700c fork.

Now I'd like to sell the fork since I have no plans to build a 700c bike. The guy who sold me the fork was clearing out his parts bin and told me it was a Bruce Gordon (R.I.P.) fork, which I now understand might be pretty valuable, but I don't know how to confirm this.

The best I've been able to do is find a few pictures on Bruce's blog (there are two pictures of frames with grey forks) that look similar to the fork I have:
Bruce Gordon Cycles - The Unofficial Official Blog: I'm Retiring - Last chance to own a New Bruce Gordon Bike

I'm attaching a few photos of the fork, which as far as I can tell is unused with an uncut steerer, and is only a couple small paint chips short of mint. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to confirm its provenance, and also how much it's worth.

Thanks!

paint chip 1

paint chip 2
Old 10-10-19, 02:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
So no real expert but well aware of Bruce, have a road bike from when he was in Eugene OR for 10yrs and hung out with the PDX guru's.

This fork is an odd duck being for 700c with canti's and all. Seems like it could be from the farmed out portion of his deal, maybe.

I doubt it has big value, even if it was a custom, many would need the frame they were built for to be right.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-10-19, 05:29 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Looks like a BLT fork. Those were made in Taiwan, spec'd by Bruce Gordon, but IMO, they are just unicrown touring forks. Sell it for what you paid and be done with it.
Likes For TimmyT:
Old 10-11-19, 05:17 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1, standard stock, contract built fork. It may have come off a Gordon but it wasn't built by Gordon.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-11-19, 09:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
$50-$100, if you can figure out what the axle to crown (A-C) measurement is. The blog post pretty much identifies the fork as a Taiwanese production fork, but yours is in very good condition.

When you replace your 26" fork, get one with the same A-C measurement as the original fork. If you are replacing a suspension fork, subtract 25% from the unloaded A-C
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-15-19, 03:44 PM
adlu

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All, thanks so much for the info! My expectations are much more realistic now and I'll be happy to find someone who can use it!

-Adrian
Old 12-24-19, 10:55 PM
Geordanh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adlu
Hi All, thanks so much for the info! My expectations are much more realistic now and I'll be happy to find someone who can use it!

-Adrian
hi adrian,

I’d like to buy that fork from you depending on what steerer diameter it is and which tire it clears.

could you send me a pm? I’ve been too much of a lurker here over the years to be able to pm!

thanks
Old 03-02-20, 07:24 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Looks a lot like my BG's fork. Mine does not have the recess for the front axle bolt. Mine is a Rock and Road, 700c, and has canti brakes.
Old 01-06-21, 07:49 PM
jlamb32

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sold?

Is this fork sold? I am interested in purchasing it.