Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Dizzy after open water swimming.

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 08:54 PM
chineezguy

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2, Easy Racer recumbent, Raleigh Sojourn, Yuba Mundo, Kuota K-Factor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been doing triathlons for 6 years now - everything from sprints to half iron. Every time I ccomplete an open water swim and stand up I get extremely dizzy and walk like a drunk. Yesterday I was so dizzy I actually fell (I was doing a sprint race).

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem (it doesn't occur when I swim in a pool)?
2. Is there something I can do to prevent this? (some have told me it has to do with cold water messing with the ear and that ear plugs would help).

As you can imagine this is very frustrating and causes long T1 times. Help!!!

Michael
Old 10-17-06, 05:11 AM
^*^BATMAN^*^
I get high on lactic acid

Bikes: 2003 Cervelo P3/2003 Trek 2000/2005 Norco EXC 2.0ht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cold water seems to amplify the effect for me. Though the most common reason I have been told about this(I dont get it alot anymore, but I used to alot), is the instant change in position. When you swim you are lying horizontaly. Then within say 10 seconds, you are standing and running. The sudden change makes blood rush down, leaving you light headed.
Old 10-27-06, 10:05 PM
evanatorx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i get dizzy as hell...i think it is the rotating head movements of joy....
Old 10-29-06, 04:04 AM
zarautz70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I feel like that as well.
I have been told to use my legs quicky on the last 20 meters of the swimming in order to get the blod running all over the body again : did this on my last triathlon and it seemed to help reducing the drunk feeling.
Old 12-05-06, 11:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's no so bad when I get out of the water but when I get to T1 and bend over to get my wetsuit off, it's World Spin Time. At my last race, I actually fell over. I knew I was going down and as I tipped over, I just prayed that I wouldn't crash into someone's bike (especially mine!).
Old 12-05-06, 12:08 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I don't compete in Trialthlons or any race, but I've often experienced that momentary dizziness after a workout in a pool. I doubt if it's a circulatory thing, since your heart is pumpng hard. Personally, I think it more likely that your brain and ear labyrinth have adapted to your position and motion in the water, and need a few seconds to adapt to your position and motion on land.
Old 12-05-06, 12:34 PM
Woden2003

Bikes: Specialized Allez (with a little help)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is absolutely a circulation thing, because your heart may be pumping hard, but for however long you're swimming, it is not working against gravity. Its the same thing if you were to lay down for a long time perfectly still, where your heart isn't working as hard, and then just jump right up. You are always gonna get light-headed, because gravity will temporarily win over your bodies natural mechanisms to fight it.
Old 12-06-06, 07:23 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Woden2003
it is absolutely a circulation thing, because your heart may be pumping hard, but for however long you're swimming, it is not working against gravity. Its the same thing if you were to lay down for a long time perfectly still, where your heart isn't working as hard, and then just jump right up. You are always gonna get light-headed, because gravity will temporarily win over your bodies natural mechanisms to fight it.
I get out of bed every day after lying down 7-8 hours, and don't get anywhere near the dizziness I sometimes experience getting out of a pool or lake after a long swim.
Old 12-09-06, 12:36 AM
Woden2003

Bikes: Specialized Allez (with a little help)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well that's also because all of the blood has been fueling your arm muscles for swimming, and so when you all of a sudden have to support your own weight (i.e. switching muscle groups VERY quickly on TOP of the gravity shift) you end up losing a little blood flow to the ole noggin... that's why zarautz method of a little extra kicking would make sense, cuz you start to force more blood flow to the legs earlier, so its not such a sudden shock
Old 12-21-06, 06:21 PM
chineezguy

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2, Easy Racer recumbent, Raleigh Sojourn, Yuba Mundo, Kuota K-Factor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the discussion. I've heard the bit about kicking faster toward the end of the swim. I actually just had a brain storm - next time I do an open water swim I'm going to take Dramamine!
Old 12-23-06, 06:11 PM
Anbaric Cog
just your average Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happens to me a lot. It was funny in the Pacific Grove Triathlon last year. The course was such that you had to get out of the water in the middle of the swim and run up on the beach the get back into the ocean. I was wobbling so much I was afraid I wouldn't make it without falling on the rock.

The worst part for me is when I'm dizzy and trying to get my Wetsuit off. I have given up and now practice doing a "pull down, sit down." All that so I don't "fall down!"

a.c.
Old 12-24-06, 09:49 AM
Bici3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been tri-racing now for 16 years. Open H2O swim racing in lakes, rivers, ponds, and ocean.
I only get the dizzee's from time in the ocean.
I believe the brain adapts to the motion of the sea. Sometimes I will lose my balance temporarily (very funny moment or two) while standing still in the afternoon or evening after spending most of my day swimming in Hawaii. It does not occur after swimming in the Italian Adriatic - I think due to the smaller swells.
I would like to hypothesize that this is only an attempted adaptation to the environment that the brain, inner-ear, and visual cues have been exposed to.
Do sailors newly ashore experience this?

https://www.bicitreregioni.com
Old 12-24-06, 10:40 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Bici3
I have been tri-racing now for 16 years. Open H2O swim racing in lakes, rivers, ponds, and ocean.
I only get the dizzee's from time in the ocean.
I believe the brain adapts to the motion of the sea. Sometimes I will lose my balance temporarily (very funny moment or two) while standing still in the afternoon or evening after spending most of my day swimming in Hawaii. It does not occur after swimming in the Italian Adriatic - I think due to the smaller swells.
I would like to hypothesize that this is only an attempted adaptation to the environment that the brain, inner-ear, and visual cues have been exposed to.
Do sailors newly ashore experience this?

https://www.bicitreregioni.com
Sailors do feel unsteady when they walk on land right after being at sea, but I don't know if it's the same mechanism. They have adapted to the boat swaying under them (getting your "sea legs") and they expect the ground to pitch and roll too.
Old 12-25-06, 01:15 AM
norsehabanero
Just a student

Bikes: Cannondale, schiwin old road bike fuji a unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one of the tris i did this happened, the water was colder and maybe that had some to do with it as well,
no wetsuit was used
Old 01-03-07, 05:02 PM
mtcycle09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's called the stillnes illness and it really sucks you feel like the whole room is moving
Old 10-07-07, 10:37 PM
chineezguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. Here is an update on my original post. For some strange reason, I have not experienced any dizziness after open water swims this season. It is great being able to run in a straight line after getting out of the water! No more dizziness, no more nausea. Wish I could tell you what made the difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion.
Old 10-08-07, 05:49 AM
nycom99

Bikes: Specialized Allez 2001; Felt S22 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try wearing earplugs- no not kidding. The cold water does affect the labyrinth system in the ears- that is what is making you dizzy.

Cold water in the ears is actually a test for brain death. It's called cold calorics. The cold water stimulates the heck out of the middle ear. The eyes on a patient who is not brain dead (the triathlon swimmer) deviate towards the cold ear and fast towards midline- it's called nystagmus.

I once had a hair caught on my ear drum (swimming shortly after a haircut). The ENT doctor had to use a substance on the end of a q-tip to get the hair. As soon as that cold substance touched my ear drum, my head was spinning. I had to sit in the chair for 5 minutes to get my bearings.

Last edited by nycom99; 10-08-07 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Change wording.