Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

anyone use the pedals that have platform on one side and clipless on the other

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 05:30 PM
cervelo4me

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

would you recommend them and what shoes would you use with them?in very high car traffic i can see how a the platform side would would make sense and i wouldnt mind the option in a moment like that.its just a matter of time like this morning on pch till im plowed,this i can see, and i prefer to get plowed with a platform, but i would never want to give up clipless on nice low traffic rides.

Old 05-12-11, 05:37 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Great pedals as you can ride in cycling shoes or any regular shoe that makes you happy... like sandals.

I commute using touring shoes which are very walkable, my mtb shoes are stiffer and decent for walking, and my road shoes are just that... only wear them when all I am doing is hitting the open road.
Old 05-12-11, 05:39 PM
cervelo4me

thank you what brand would you reccomend

Old 05-12-11, 05:50 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I enjoyed my Shimano A530's when I was a newb last year. I think they're around $60 on amazon.

When I got to high traffic areas I'd unclip and pedal with the platform side so that I could put a foot down at a moments notice, in trade for not being able to sprint hard during that time. Once I was back in a calm area i'd clip back in. This was all using mountain bike shoes, which work great with either side of the pedal.

Now I stay clipped in all the time as I've built up much more confidence about clipping in and out, and I use speedplay pedals.
Old 05-12-11, 06:01 PM
cervelo4me

i hear ya.i have speedplays too chrome mollys they work perfect but i have no confidence at all with them in serious traffic.hopefully in time i will.but right now i dont.almost got plowed today and lets face it the roads just are not for bikes on any level because motorists just dont look around.this clown was on a cell phone and turning onto pch at the same time and im clipped in thinking okay this is it im gonna get plowed.

Old 05-12-11, 08:39 PM
KevinSCo

Bikes: Caad 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use platform on the drive side and clipless on the left. Pretty much works, except that I tend to walk in circles when I get off the bike.
Old 05-12-11, 08:47 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Shimano platform/SPD pedals on my hybrid. I wear Shimano shoes that look something like this:

They are nice for walking around in when you're not on the bike because the cleats are recessed.

I have found the platform pedals are handy for getting started while in the middle of a hill. There is a traffic light halfway up a big hill near my house and I almost always have to stop. For me it's much easier to start pedaling uphill on a platform than to try and clip in.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-12-11, 10:14 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Shimano A530 pedals on my Surly LHT. Love 'em! I rarely use the platform side but it's there when I need to. I wear my MTB shoes (SPD compatible).
Old 05-12-11, 10:53 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo4me
thank you what brand would you reccomend
Shimano PD M324 is clipless one side and has a rather aggressive mtb platform on the flip side and the Shimano PD M545 is clipless both sides but can be used with regular shoes as the clip binding gets pushed flat when you use a normal shoe... is also quite grippy.

Prefer the M324 and pedals like this and the Wellgo M17C has also been a nice pedal that is compatible with Shimano SH51 cleats and costs quite a bit less.
Old 05-12-11, 11:29 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Shimano PD M324 is clipless one side and has a rather aggressive mtb platform on the flip side and the Shimano PD M545 is clipless both sides but can be used with regular shoes as the clip binding gets pushed flat when you use a normal shoe... is also quite grippy.

Prefer the M324 and pedals like this and the Wellgo M17C has also been a nice pedal that is compatible with Shimano SH51 cleats and costs quite a bit less.
This. I wear either Keen Commuter Sandals or some other ugly cycling shoe made by Shimano. They both grip quite well on the platform as does any shoe with ridged soles. Stay away from riding with deck shoes as they can be rather slippery on the platforms.
Old 05-13-11, 12:30 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My wife has the Shimano dual-side pedals on her single-speed commuter/store bike and she really likes them because they are so versatile.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-13-11, 02:15 PM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have these and they worked great but I decided to switch to a dedicated road pedal. I would sell them for $30?
https://www.rei.com/product/668198/sh...324-spd-pedals
Old 05-13-11, 04:07 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rode on a pair of these for a while. You can see a picture of some mounted on SPD pedals here. Personally, I found the platform on these was too small. If I was doing it over again, I would go for the A530s.
Old 05-29-11, 10:50 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of the Shimano PD M324 on my Tricross and found them to be just what the doctor ordered for high traffic commuting. I commute into downtown L.A. and find its really easy to clip in and out, (or ride the platform side), depending on whether or not I have a few open blocks ahead of me. I have one of the cheaper Shimano mountain biking shoes that jsut laces up - the kind of look like hiking shoes, and there's no straps or buckles to cinch up. Not quite as ridiculous looking when I wheel the bike on to the subway.

My only complaint about the PD M324 is after about 3 years of year round commuting, I'm starting to hear a creaking sound when I'm clipped in. Riding on the platform side they are as quiet as can be. I just bought a new set of SPD cleats for my shoes today - hopefully, that and a little lube will quiet the squeaking.
Old 05-29-11, 11:35 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I have Shimano A530's on my Rando/Commuting bike. For the 1.5 years I've had the bike, I've always ridden with MTB shoes which work great with the pedals. Last week, I finally rode with "normal" shoes (Converse) on the platform side and didn't like it - kept having to flip the pedal over from the SPD side...was sort of irritating - made me long for my MTB shoes.
Old 05-30-11, 08:48 AM
ChucksNutz

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay Platformer - These turn your Speedplays into platform pedals for $24.